To be able to write in the forum you need to authenticate. Meanwhile it's read-only.

Re: GC6WG4M - 100 Souvenir Challenge - NJ Edition

[Cancelled] GC6WG4M - 100 Souvenir Challenge - NJ Edition
November 03, 2016 02:14PM
I'm about to hit 100 souvenirs and would like to hide New Jersey's first challenge of its kind, but would also like to allow 70 souviners to qualify if the cacher's "Member Since" date is later than 8/31/13. Because, missing out on the "31 Days of Geocaching" is not your fault and us NJ folk are nice like that! Is it doable?

-Mike
November 03, 2016 07:05PM
That seems like a question for your reviewer and not for us.
November 03, 2016 08:43PM
No, I'm asking for a script that will check for at least 100 souvenirs, or a minimum of 70 if their start date is after August, 2013.
November 03, 2016 09:14PM
Their is no script which can handle this at the moment so it necessary to write a new script. This takes a lot of time and in order to get one a script writer will need to know if this is acceptable by your local reviewer.
Specialy as you think about the situation where you draw the line. You think about people which were ill or had an insury at the time of august 2013.

Please ask advise from your local reviewer and maybe The Leprechauns and OReviewer can comment from a reviewer's stand point

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/03/2016 09:16PM by vogelbird. (view changes)
November 03, 2016 09:16PM
It's possible, but not with existing scripts (as far as I know). It shouldn't be too difficult for a new script to be written.
November 04, 2016 04:40AM
I agree. For me, and as a Reviewer, the request presents an issue under Challenge Guideline section 8, "Attainable."

Acceptable: "Challenge Caches need to be attainable at any time." Not Acceptable: "Requiring caches to be found in earlier years, as it is not attainable by someone new to the game" and "Challenges specifically excluding any segment of cachers."

Having different rules apply to different geocachers based on their start date seems to me to violate the spirit of the "Attainable" guideline, which strives to ensure a level playing field. If you set up a challenge cache, the same rules should apply to everyone. Some challenges are inherently easier for veterans while others are easier for newbies. (Example: a veteran who has cleaned out their local area will have to work harder if they decide to do a 365 day caching streak.)

A common method for overcoming this is to hide two or more challenges with various levels, such as having a 50, 75, and 100 souvenir challenge along the same trail. Don't go overboard and hide 20 souvenir challenges with increments of 5, 10, 15, 20, etc. If I'm a newer geocacher, I can strive for the 50 souvenir challenge within a reasonable timeframe. And who's to say that there won't be another souvenir promotion in the future that's similar to the "31 Days of Geocaching"?
November 04, 2016 12:25PM
The reason I wanted to do this is because it does not feel like a level playing field. It seems very unfair of me to ask others to obtain 100 souvenirs when nearly a third of my own were "earned" in the same promotion by doing what I would have been doing anyway. It's an advantage that I have over many others who simply did not have the opportunity to stuff their souvenir box because they started caching after that ridiculous promotion. I didn't like it then, and I don't like it now.

I have no intention of publishing multiple challenges, so I guess that if I decide to do it at all it will be 75 (so I can use an existing checker) with an explanation on the cache page that I'm not asking for 100 souvenirs because I would like to be fair to those that have joined in the last three years. Thanks to those that responded.

-Mike

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/04/2016 12:26PM by TeeDeeKay. (view changes)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login