Advanced

Re: GC7AHQM - Checker needed for lonely cache challenge

[Cancelled] GC7AHQM - Checker needed for lonely cache challenge
August 13, 2017 02:35PM
Is it possible to write a checker that counts the number of lonely caches you've found that are isolated by at least 'n' km to the next nearest cache (regardless if you've found it or not)? The script would need access to the user's finds, plus the geocaching database to search for caches based upon proximity. Ideally, it would be nice to run this checker anywhere in the world, but I can imagine this being a performance concern, so maybe an option to limit it by country/province.
Thanks!
August 13, 2017 04:25PM
Not easily no, firstly getting the next nearest cache isn't possible, but the second problem is how do you define it when you take caches being archived into account. Presumably you'd really only want to consider the next closest cache that was published and not archived at the time the cache was found by the cacher, which is going to get expensive to calculate fast.
August 13, 2017 05:05PM
I thought making a lonely cache checker wasn't possible anyway, did that change?
August 13, 2017 05:21PM
No, but I think there are multiple definitions of 'lonely' caches - the request here appears to be lonely as defined by isolation - how far from the next cache it is.
August 13, 2017 06:50PM
Correct, you would not take archived caches into account when doing proximity search.
September 11, 2017 07:10PM
This thread has not received any feedback from the requester and will therefor be moved to ARCHIVE Checker requests (impossible). Should the requester have any queries he can raise his question on this thread in the archived section,
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login