[Cancelled] Checker request for GC8KCZN, GC8KD0Y and GC8KD13
February 14, 2020 07:51PM
Hello,

I need checkers for three challenge caches. To qualify for a find the cacher needs two caches that are a certain number of degrees apart in east-west.

GC8KCZN: The distance between your easternmost and your westernmost found caches according to your statistics must be at least 45°.

GC8KD0Y: The distance between your easternmost and your westernmost found caches according to your statistics must be at least 90°.

GC8KD13: The distance between your easternmost and your westernmost found caches according to your statistics must be at least 180° over the prime meridian.

The caches are in Sweden, so it is not necessary to make any exception for two caches close to and on each side of the 180° meridian.

Thanks in advance.

tornalle
Re: Checker request for GC8KCZN, GC8KD0Y and GC8KD13
February 14, 2020 10:20PM
Here are the links to the checker
GC8KCZN: The distance between your easternmost and your westernmost found caches according to your statistics must be at least 45°. https://project-gc.com/Challenges/GC8KCZN/48947

GC8KD0Y: The distance between your easternmost and your westernmost found caches according to your statistics must be at least 90°. https://project-gc.com/Challenges/GC8KD0Y/48948

GC8KD13: The distance between your easternmost and your westernmost found caches according to your statistics must be at least 180° over the prime meridian. https://project-gc.com/Challenges/GC8KD13/48949

Please test and reply
February 14, 2020 10:54PM
Hi and thanks,

I have found two errors:
1. https://project-gc.com/Challenges/GC8KD13/48949 is checking for 90 degrees, although it should check for 180 degrees.
2. Something is wrong with finding my westermost and easternmost caches. However, maybe you check for some caches with sufficient distance, which is good enough.

A question, would it be possible using also minutes (or decimals) when checking? This would allow someone having found e.g. at W 99 30.000 and E 80 30.000 to qualify for a find. If that is difficult, I can change my cache description to only use degrees without minutes.

Best regards
tornalle
February 15, 2020 11:27AM
Sorry that I was too quick to answer yesterday and made a copying mistake in the 180 degree challenge.

The problem is that the checker system does not know your home coordinates therefor uses the distance apart.
Because it is a circle the checker will have a maximum of 180 degrees which will only in theory be reached

Your statistics give your extremes at
Most Westerly cache found: W 123° 05.087, Kortum Challenge Trail (25 Souvenirs) GC56E1N United States
Most Easterly cache found: E 140° 22.805, ALOHA FROM HAWAII - JAPAN GC5CVP8 Japan

you are counting a distance of 263 degrees but the checker counts this 97 degrees

I see in the other checkers that CO's allowed the highest distance apart as 160 degress
February 15, 2020 06:55PM
Well, the home coordinates are irrelevant as my intention was (at least for the 180 degrees) just to sum up the westernmost (which has to be on the western hemisphere) and the easternmost (which has to be on the eastern hemisphere) degrees. This could yield up to at most 360 degrees without counting distance. Would it be possible achieving that with just summing extremes?
February 15, 2020 07:38PM
Yes the 180 degrees challenge is in two hemispheres but that is not what you are asking in the challenge criteria
The distance between your easternmost and your westernmost found caches according to your statistics
Which means that your home coordinates are the starting point that's why I was referring to the home coordinates

The other point is that you are making the earth flat in stead of a globe but if you insist in somebody living in Vancouver has to travel via Europe to Japan, he will travel more then 180 degrees.

Please ask your reviewer if he would publish such a challenge and when you get the green light from a scriptwriter might be willing to come up with a new script
February 15, 2020 08:01PM
Well, I wrote The distance between your easternmost and your westernmost found caches according to your statistics must be at least 180° over the prime meridian. I will check with the reviewer and get back later.
February 16, 2020 10:39AM
I have got a negative answer from the reviewers. Thanks anyway.
Best regards
tornalle
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login