Advanced

[Cancelled] Request for a finder - Might not work for all challenges

[Cancelled] Request for a finder - Might not work for all challenges
March 09, 2020 01:51AM
So maybe this is not the correct forum. But I figured you volunteers would be the guys implementing things anyway. So a few challenge checkers like 360 will give you helpful data on how to get that degree. So hear me out and think about it.

So here is my thought:

Just like D/T Matrix tool, or Needed found dates you have an initial page that allows for filters. Say 50 miles from my home.

This would produce a list of all the caches 50 miles from my home. That list could be then supplied as a dummy user to the checker and the tool could tell you if those caches would help with the challenge. This would be most helpful for Title searches, latitude/longitude, attributes, some challenges it would not work at all I know.

A lot of the new attribute challenges are so hard to figure out qualifiers. Only way I have found is to use pocket queries and that is a pain.

Now the tool could get fancy and cross-reference with your own profile to see if cacheX would help or not.

As an example the missing date checkers are great it will tell you you July 6th you need a cache to qualify for the challenge. Just seeing if we can do similar things with other checkers.

Make all of this a premium service and folks like me would go crazy. I'm a challenge addict. I would add that a feature like this might go a long way into changing the challenge rules as searches could be done. The most fun challenges are grandfathered ones in my opinion and I seek out those where ever I travel. Maybe even get our own icon.
Re: Request for a finder - Might not work for all challenges
March 21, 2020 01:32PM
Please use the Q&A https://project-gc.com/qa/?qa=questions for this subject because what you are looking for already exists in the map compare section and the Virtual GPS.
Results can be downloaded as GPX files and CSV files
Re: Request for a finder - Might not work for all challenges
March 21, 2020 04:16PM
So the map compare still makes the searching a manual effort. Click on the cache read what key word you may need and then enter them one at a time.

I have probably right now a dozen or so key words I'm searching for for various challenges. This is not very quick but does work I'll give you that. My suggestion is have an automated mechanism to search for caches that qualify. So as an example I'm missing for a challenge Logitude ending in 873. Searching for this is very difficult, not impossible but if the checker was linked to this it could say oh there is 2 caches with Logitude 873. The same for lists of qualifiers for titles in the name.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login