Advanced

Re: GC9BY3G - The Amsterdam Challenge

[Cancelled] GC9BY3G - The Amsterdam Challenge
May 26, 2021 10:57PM
Hi Everyone,

New to the Challenge field, so hoping I'm doing this right.

I have the idea to create a Challenge where cachers would need to spell the word AMSTERDAM by finding geocaches that have certain attributes. The attributes that need to be collected are the attributes of which the first letter can found in the word AMSTRDAM. So, amongst others: 'Available 24/7', 'Motorcycles allowed', 'Stroller accessible', etc

All attributes that have a first letter that can be found in the word AMSTERDAM need to have been collected. Of course I can provide the list of all these attributes to make your life easier. Fun fact: the letter E in AMSTERDAM can not be found as a first letter in any of the English attributes. In Dutch though there is 1: 'Eetgelegenheid in de buurt' so I'm contemplating to use the Dutch version of the attributes or else just skip the letter E and use it to point out my username or something (not being part of the Challenge).

Does this make any sense? Please let me know if more info is needed.

Cheers and thank you so much for your time.

Elmer
May 26, 2021 11:33PM
I like the idea. Have you run it past your reviewer?
May 26, 2021 11:41PM
Hi! No, not yet, but your reply has given me enough hope that this can be achieved, so will do so immediately tomorrow..
May 27, 2021 12:17AM
I hate to disappoint you but last time I checked with HQ they banned all alpha challenges of any kind. So to avoid this problem a set of attributes could be used. See as example cache https://coord.info/GC8QR1F
May 27, 2021 07:33AM
Hi vogelbird, thanks for your response. You'll have to forgive me but can you tell me what alpha Challenges are? Bit of a noob here on the Challenge subject. Your example looks great though, so I'm curious where the potential disappointment comes in..
May 27, 2021 07:46AM
alpha challenges = alphabet challenges based on county, region, attributes etc..
May 27, 2021 07:55AM
Ah, got it, thank you. But the example you provided is also an alpha Challenge based on attributes, right? Where should I look for the difference with what I intend to do? Forgive me if I'm missing the obvious.
May 27, 2021 08:07AM
The difference is that it shows like an alphabet but in fact it is a challenge based on a quantity criteria

X number of y attributes
May 27, 2021 08:35AM
Ah, right. Thanks! Will check with my reviewers.
May 27, 2021 12:16AM
There is a quick proof of concept. There is still much to discuss. How do we handle the set versus unset? Can we used the same cache more than once? Can I find a better script to prototype from?

https://project-gc.com/Challenges/GC9BY3G/61038

[sloth96](https://www.geocaching.com/profile/?u=sloth96) has used [Project-GC](https://project-gc.com/Challenges//61038 "Project-GC Challenge Checker") to see if they qualified for this challenge and they did.

2009-08-08 EGGO, BLADES and SOLOMON Calculated (GCM7FY,Available 24/7)
2011-05-01 Charlie Delta (GC2TZ68,May require wading)
2009-08-10 James Bond Series - Xenia Onnatopp (GC1MNBQ,Scenic view)
2009-08-08 DALE #2 (BILLERICA) (GC1N4MD,Takes less than one hour)
2009-08-08 DALE #2 (BILLERICA) (GC1N4MD,Recommended for kids)
2009-08-08 DALE #2 (BILLERICA) (GC1N4MD,Dogs)
2009-08-10 James Bond Series - Xenia Onnatopp (GC1MNBQ,Available 24/7)
2011-05-01 Charlie Delta (GC2TZ68,May require swimming)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/27/2021 12:25AM by sloth96. (view changes)
May 27, 2021 07:24AM
This looks awesome! Thanks so much for your time so far. Yes, there are still some facets we need to cover, but I'll get back to that. But before I ask more of your time, let me go ahead and check with my local reviewers what they think of the idea. Also Re: the comment by vogelbird.

Cheers again!
June 08, 2021 12:23PM
Have your reviewers gotten back in touch with you?

Thanks.
June 09, 2021 10:01PM
Hi! Not yet, but apparently that was my bad. As the cache itself is not ready yet I only posted a reviewer note and did not click the Submit for review button. Apparently that was a mistake. I have done so now so hoping to hear back from them soon. Sorry to keep you waiting.
June 16, 2021 10:01PM
Unfortunately the Reviewers have not allowed this idea. The response was "Basing challenges on letters or words is not allowed. Therefore, the idea cannot be approved in this way." So this thread can be archived, not sure whether I can do this myself or not. Anyway, thank you so much for your time and effort!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login