Advanced

Re: checker for GC4W6H2

[Cancelled] checker for GC4W6H2
June 01, 2016 06:30PM
I would like to get a checker for my GC4W6H2 HNAG Fishy Challenge
challenge cache has been out since 2013
not sure if one can be done

it requires that someone has found 25 caches with either fish or a fish name in the title
a list of exceptable fish names can be found at
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_common_fish_names

Simrebel
June 01, 2016 06:41PM
It would be fairly easy given the list of acceptable names apart from the effort to get the names into something usable. So therefore to assist can as the CO provide that list in a CSV file please. ie: a text file that looks like this...

'Aeneus corydoras', 'African glass catfish', etc

a list of the terms in single quotes each term separated by a comma.

That then assumes you want only exact matches for that list. If there's any fuzzy matching going on then generally the answer is no this sort of challenge doesn't suit a checker.
June 01, 2016 06:58PM
some leeway can be giving

like in sub species

largemouth bass, striped bass, striped bass where Bass would only be needed
if the cache was bass guitar it would be exceptable even your it's not the bass fish
June 01, 2016 07:31PM
I've made up a csv file with fish names
if you email me at simebel@hotmail.com i will email it to you
October 28, 2016 10:53PM
simrebel,

If you contact me through the email feature in geocaching.com I will send you an e-mail so you can provide me the list and I will tag an appropriate script.

Sloth96
July 26, 2016 06:25PM
ShammyLevva are you still going to prepare a checker for this challenge ?
October 28, 2016 11:50PM
@simrebel,

The list on wikipedia is too long to fit into a script tag. Just looking at how far down the list it goes, about 250 fish fit. The wiki list is about 1000 fish long.

Pruning this will help make this a checker sooner.
October 31, 2016 03:47PM
Hmm might be hard to do the checker , there actually been some that have summited names not on the list as well
October 31, 2016 06:43PM
What we can do is start with a list people have used and see how that goes. I started pruning the list by eliminating the different flavors of salmon trout char and other s that have a multiple varieties. That got most of the people through. There were a couple who used the generic fish as in fish in a barrel. We can add to the list over time.

Any thoughts?
October 31, 2016 06:49PM
yeah that would be good, would get the common ones out there that people are using to qualify

common fish names like Bass, Pike Trout Perch ect
November 01, 2016 11:00AM
The problem with the checker is that the result is pass or fail.
If the list does not include all ok answer it will result in false negative.
And you might se a fail on a pgc map from a autorun without knowing it is a false fail
And you have not specified a language requirement. My finds with abborre (European perch) and lax (salmon) would be ok according to the rules in the listing but will fail the checker.
I suspect French names for caches in Quebec is more relevant in your case

If you what to have it tagged as a checker specify a list of exactly what is allowed in the cache listing and check for exactly that
Else remove the gc code from the checker and have it linked from the cache page. The you don't get autogenerated false negatives.

The checker tagged now http://project-gc.com/Challenges/GC4W6H2/23229 allows parts of words. It it not obius from the chase listing if it is allowed.
If not allowed you have the problem that I guess that Shark and Sharks would still be ok. If both are added they can be used twice if it is not specified that they are the same. New code for a type of challenge that cant be created anymore might be needed
Example below with the partial matched fish at the end

Swedish steel (GC1F609) Eel
Charon (GC1M38P) Char
Barcode Borensberg (GC2HGFF) Code
November 01, 2016 04:44PM
yeah something like Swedish steel (GC1F609) Eel is not good

shark and sharks would be except-able either way

guess this is not going to be possible
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login