Advanced

Re: Need Challenge Checker for GC78NHA Long Distance Challenge

[Resolved] Need Challenge Checker for GC78NHA Long Distance Challenge
July 10, 2017 01:38PM
Hi,

I need a challenge checker that requires the cacher to have found at least 10 caches 1,000 miles from their home location.

Thanks,

-Erich (VeteranTributes)
July 10, 2017 02:12PM
Please read http://project-gc.com/forum/read?8,13 READ FIRST

What a checker can not do
* The checkers does not have access to the user's home coordinates. Challenges are not allowed to be based upon them either, and haven't been allowed to for several years. This is a matter of integrity.

So the information is not available in the API for the checkers
July 10, 2017 05:34PM
Ah, missed that one too! Sorry about that, I'll regroup and try again!

-VeteranTributes
July 10, 2017 06:03PM
Okay, I changed the challenge so that you now have to find at least 10 sets of caches that are 1,000 miles or more apart. So, if someone has 10 caches at any location, and they find 10 caches more than 1,000 miles from each of those caches, then they qualify.

I used the same cache name and the GC is the same.

This would be a similar challenge to the challenges that required you to find 2 caches 100 miles apart in a single day...in this case, it's 1,000 miles or more apart, you have to do it 10 times, and there is no time limit.

Thanks,

-Erich

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/11/2017 05:12AM by VeteranTributes. (view changes)
July 11, 2017 08:22PM
It is not the same problem since the result depends on what pair of caches you use. I assume that each cache can only be used once.

To find a single pair exprecially in a single day is easy because you can test each cache against all finds total or that day. The number of test will be max n^/2 if you have n finds and lower if you only look at finds the same day

Your problem is harder since you need to find a combination of 10 pairs of unique caches that all have that distance. You need extra code to do that check and it might be complex and to slow in som cases when someone almost meet the requirement but fail.
July 11, 2017 08:29PM
Would it be easier to just make the challenge to where the cacher has to find 2 caches that are over 1,000 miles apart? I can just eliminate the need to have them do it 10 times.
July 11, 2017 09:20PM
Yes then the existing script could be used and you have a checker immediately.
July 11, 2017 09:47PM
Okay, change the challenge to where the cacher must find 2 caches that are 1,000 mikes or more apart. Reverse (locationless) and traveling caches don't count.

Thanks,

-VeteranTributes
July 11, 2017 11:07PM
Check this one out if it is acceptable http://project-gc.com/Challenges/GC78NHA/27560
July 13, 2017 06:06PM
Challenge published and request moved to ARCHIVE Checker requests (completed)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login