Advanced

Re: X DT grid / cache type challenge checker

[Resolved] X DT grid / cache type challenge checker
August 06, 2017 05:45AM
Hi,

I have found a checker which nearly does what I would like and hope it can be modified or a similar one can be produced. This is it.
http://project-gc.com/Challenges/GC596ZM/379

I want to be able to use a large metal X as the hide. The challenge will be to complete either of the two diagonals of the DT grid with 9 different cache types from the types listed by GCHQ - not including lab caches obviously as they do not show on the DT grid, but also not including waymarks/locationless caches.
https://www.geocaching.com/about/cache_types.aspx

The checker above checks all lines but I only want the diagonals checked please.

Thanks for any help you can give

regards

Bill aka Brad
August 06, 2017 10:48PM
There is a script available for this challenge but when making the config I noticed a bug in the output.
I will contact the scriptwriter tomorrow to attend to this problem
August 08, 2017 07:09PM
I need a GC-Code to create a checker, please.
August 08, 2017 10:11PM
GC79A7X is the GC code.
Thank you
Regards
Bill aka Brad
August 11, 2017 05:39AM
Reviewer here. Have you had a conversation with your local community volunteer reviewer about the concept of "grid art" challenges? This challenge design is not publishable.
August 11, 2017 05:50AM
Hi The Leprechauns. Thanks for your message. I have not spoken with my local reviewer but I have read the challenge guidelines carefully and I did not see anything that would eliminate this cache idea from acceptance. I can talk with my local reviewer. What is the specific problem you see please?
Thanks again for the input
Regards
Bill aka Brad
August 11, 2017 06:01AM
See the challenge cache guideline about measuring a "geocaching-related achievement." It is not an achievement to find an otherwise random series of caches because their D/T, Placed Date, etc. creates "art" on the Fizzy Grid, Find By Placed Date Grid, etc.
August 11, 2017 06:21AM
Ok. I guess I had a different view. I could change it to specify the exact type for each DT combination.
So 1:1 Event, 1.5:1.5 Unknown, 2:2 Multi etc but that would be much harder to do.
I felt it is a challenge that people could aim to achieve. If you have 7 spots then there would be lots of ways to get to 9.
I will reflect on your view.
If necessary I guess I could also change it to all of one type, such as mysteries.
I will also speak with our local reviewer.
In the meantime if anyone is still able to create it, that would be appreciated.
Regards
Bill
September 11, 2017 07:03PM
What is the situation on this request, can it be archived?
September 11, 2017 09:04PM
Thanks Vogelbird. I was still hoping to get the checker. I have been in discussion with our local reviewer and the situation does not seem black and white from his perspective. It may end up going to GCHQ and if so I would like to submit a functional cache page and checker.
Thx Bill
September 13, 2017 07:39AM
I waiting for your answer that your local reviewer hav no problems with this challenge.
The checker is the smaller problem: https://project-gc.com/Challenges/GC79A7X/28667

Please inform us if you have an answer from your local reviewer.
September 13, 2017 12:21PM
Thank you King-ton.
My local reviewer has said he would like to see the cache page that I plan to create for this before deciding. He also had asked to see which local people would qualify. So I wanted the checker to be able to provide that in a way he can see.
I think the checker that you have provided is probably close enough to what I wanted for me to achieve that. Thank you.
I will let you know his decision.
Regards
Bill
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login