Advanced

Re: Checker for GC8K59N (BadgeGen v4 Emerald Level)

[Resolved] Checker for GC8K59N (BadgeGen v4 Emerald Level)
February 08, 2020 04:19AM
Need a checker for this one: GC8K59N. It's going to replace this Challenge GC8A0M8. The checker for this new challenge will operate just like the checker for the challenge that will be replaced, except the cacher will need 70 points to qualify.
For this new Challenge, the Checker needs to account for 9 new BadgeGen badges (27-35) in the cache description listing. And also, the required levels for 8 of the existing badges have changed. They have a plus (+) sign in the cache description. They are numbers 2, 8, 9, 14, 16,19, 20 and 23 and the amounts needed are also shown in the cache description.
February 08, 2020 07:14AM
I'm sorry but we have to deny this request because
a ) The badges are still in beta stage
b ) Badges are not part of the challenge criteria which must be verifiable through information on Geocaching.com

I am aware that you have a script accepted based on the old badges but I am instructed by the reviewers not to issue such a checker anymore
February 08, 2020 10:07AM
I understand the beta part. But we went through this whole discussion last time on my previous challenge. The Checker would not check badges (which are awarded from project-gc) - but would instead check the required levels using the information available via geocaching.com. What is different with this Challenge than with my previous challenge except that the checker needs to check for 9 new things?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/08/2020 10:08AM by DrPflug. (view changes)
February 08, 2020 10:19AM
Your old version is checking an element (distance from home) which can only be checked through the badge information that's why reviewers are not accepting the script anymore.
February 08, 2020 01:50PM
Is that the only issue or are there more?(besides the beta part). I can see my distance from home right in the the geocaching.com Statistics page in the My Home Location Statistics. So it's available and apparently the checker from my previous similar challenge had no problem retrieving it or computing it. So I still don't understand why this is not acceptable. Should I get an opinion from my reviewer?
February 08, 2020 02:09PM
I believe you should wait till the beta stage is finished at PGC because there are some more changes coming.
Although there is still the problem that there are in different parts of the world reviewers declining to published checkers based on this script.
February 08, 2020 02:17PM
Re: I can see my distance from home right in the the geocaching.com Statistics page in the My Home Location Statistics.

This information is only available to the checker system when a cacher has set his homecoordinates on PGC,
Geocaching.com makes this not available and never will be

See READ FIRST
The checkers does not have access to the user's home coordinates. Challenges are not allowed to be based upon them either, and haven't been allowed to for several years. This is a matter of integrity.
February 08, 2020 02:51PM
So (after the BETA period is over) would this be good if I remove the Long-Distance Cacher requirement and also not add the All Around Cacher requirement (which is also based on home location)? If you say yes, it's good, I will get my own reviewers opinion. He published my last similar challenge so I'd want to make sure he didn't change his mind. No sense having y'all working on a checker if I can't get it published.
February 08, 2020 03:05PM
Yes, you can ask his opinion but remember a checker has to work for all cachers also those who have not set there home coordinates at PGC
February 09, 2020 12:54PM
OK, close this request. Reviewer said the Challenge would be good minus the two badges I had requiring home coordinates to be set. I will resubmit this Challenge Checker request after the new BadgeGen badges exit BETA stage and are final.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login