Advanced

Re: Mod requested to Checker for GC8E7ZN: now 555 total caches in [certain location]

[Resolved] Checker request for GC8E7ZN: 555 total caches, one of two ways
February 24, 2020 02:24AM
Proposed challenge:
https://www.geocaching.com/geocache/GC8E7ZN_picky-challenge-fivefivefive-this

From the cache page:
"Find fully (ie. at least) 555 caches in at least five counties/cities that start with "F", anywhere in the world, in one of two ways:
F1) Spread out such that you've found at least fifty-five caches in each of the five counties
-- or --
F2) At least 500 caches in one of the five counties and at least five caches in each of the other four.
The *county* or *city* names must start with "F", not the cache names.

CO qualifies by F2."

Caches can be of any type, size, etc.

Pseudocode (with c1,c2, etc. being the counties/cities):

Need (at least five cities that start with "F")
where (c1+c2+c3+c4+c5 >=555)
AND {
(c1>=55 && c2>=55 && c3>=55 && c4>=55 &&c5>=55)
OR
(any of c[1-5]>=500 && (each of the other four >=5))
}

Would prefer for the output to be one of those tables with checkboxes down the left that lists *all* of the geocacher's counties/cities that start with "F" and their counts for each, so they can see where they fall short if they fail. If they pass, a list of *all* of the "F" counties/cities and counts (don't need a list of cache names).

Example output (may have made up some locations here):

Cacher _Fred32_ qualifies by F2 (at least 555 in one location; at least 5 in each of the other four):
Fairfax County, VA: 1008
Franklin County, VA: 35
Frederick, MD: 13
Frankoma, MD: 12
Frankfurt, Germany: 32
Total qualifying caches: 1100

Cacher HelloIMustBGoing2Cache qualifies by F2 (at least 55 caches in each of 5 locations):
Florence, Italy: 103
Fresno, CA: 156
Fort Lauderdale, FL: 55
Fargo, ND: 323
Fairfield, CA: 288
Fontana, CA: 32
Fort Collins, CO: 18
Total qualifying caches: 975

Cacher MaymayICache qualifies by F1 (at least 555 in one location; at least 5 in each of the other four) and F2 (at least 55 caches in each of 5 locations):
Fauquier County, VA: 88
Fredericksburg, VA: 79
Fuquay-Varina, NC: 785
Falls Church, VA: 55
First Landing, MA: 86
Total qualifying caches: 1093

Cacher OhSoClose does not qualify. You need to go find more caches in counties/cities that start with "F".
Flint, MI: 28
Fremont, CA: 38
Fresno, CA: 81
Frisco, TX: 153
Total qualifying caches: 300

--Pickypicky
Re: Checker request for GC8E7ZN: 555 total caches, one of two ways
February 24, 2020 02:34PM
First of all I like to point out that you can only use the criteria county as per the guidelines
Challenge cache criteria may be based upon these geographic areas: countries, states/provinces, counties (or their local equivalent).

so you can not use towns like:
Flint, MI ,Fremont, CA, Fresno, CA, Frisco, TX

Secondly if you like to go ahead with the challenge, a script has to be made by a scriptwriter
February 24, 2020 04:38PM
If it shows up as a county/city/region on the map, that should count, correct? County or independent city. That's what I'm going for.

And yes, I know a scriptwriter has to write the script; that's why I'm making the request here.

Thanks.
March 01, 2020 01:05PM
Only checks if "county" starts with F (since there's no data on which city).

https://project-gc.com/Challenges/GC8E7ZN/49401

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/01/2020 01:06PM by olalb. (view changes)
March 13, 2020 06:39AM
Thanks :) It works for me for F2 (500, 5, 5, 5, 5), which is how I qualify. Would appreciate it if someone who thinks they qualify by F1 (55, 55, 55, 55, 55) could check it for that.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/13/2020 06:43AM by frumiousb. (view changes)
[realized I should post this in a different thread but it won't let me delete this, so please just ignore it here.]

Well, I went and put the checker on the cache page and placed the cache and all that - and turns out my 555 doesn't pass muster after all :( Had thought they'd said it would be OK. Nope - counted as a spelling challenge. Said I can't do it as a list of places that start with 'F' either.

Frustration and being busy with other things (mostly pandemic-related) put this cache on the back burner for a very long time. Finally getting back to it.

Reviewer did think this suggested simplification would be okay: "find 555 in Fairfax County, VA and/or Fairfax City, VA" (the city is nested within the county and a lot of folks don't really understand they're different localities, including folks sending ballot requests to electors in the wrong one of the two as has been in the news this week).

Wish I didn't need to ask you to do this after you did such a great job on the original 555 logic, but would you please simplify the existing checker to see if the cacher has found at least 555 (of any type) in Fairfax, VA (County and/or City)?

Thanks. Hope you're staying safe.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/09/2020 05:28AM by frumiousb. (view changes)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login