Advanced

Re: Multiple Checkers Request

[Awaiting feedback] Multiple Checkers Request
September 18, 2020 06:26AM
Hi there, I'm not sure if I should submit separate topics for each checker request but I saw someone else put them all in one topic as well. I hope that is ok; if they need to be separated, please let me know.

I'm hoping someone can help me write the checkers for the following challenges. I'm assuming I don't have to put too many details here since the writers have access to see the cache pages. I have additional requirements, restrictions, and other details listed there. If that's incorrect, please let me know.

GC8ZGTK - Geo birthday - find 1 cache born on the same day as your GC profile
I know there are other checkers for this out there but I've come across some that work for my profile (I pass), and others where I fail so I'm not sure what's going on with them.

GC8ZME1 - Preteen - find 12 caches on their birthdays, 1 on its 1st birthday, 1 on its 2nd, etc, etc, all the way to 12th birthday

GC8ZZPA - Below Sea Level - find 5 caches whose total elevation is less than 0m

GC8ZV2Q - Event-full Calendar - attend 50 events - 7 events on Mon-Sun, 12 events in Jan-Dec, and 31 days for each day of the month (1-31)

GC8ZZVH - 7 Sigma birthday - find 7 caches on their 1st birthday, 6 on their 2nd, etc all the way down/up to 1 cache on its 7th birthday for a total of 28 caches

If it's possible and appropriate, is it possible for the checker to also be able to provide a summary that shows something like
"This challenge was completed on yy/mm/dd. It took (cacher name) x# of caches and x# of days to complete this challenge."

This is my first time creating challenge caches, so if you have any feedback for my challenges too, I would appreciate that too. I'm hoping I've caught all the potential gotchas, etc.

Thank you. Please feel to reach out if you need more information or have any questions.

Ultimately I would love to be able to learn to write my own checkers so that I don't have bother everyone else. I'm hoping once I see the code for these ones I may be able to figure out how they work and how to write them. Of course, I could be completely off base... :-b

Thank you again.
September 18, 2020 08:27AM
Three of your challenges I'm not sure are allowed under current guidelines.
GC8ZGTK, GC8ZME1 and GC8ZZVH all seem to be against guideline 13:
Not acceptable
Restrictions on date of finds used for the challenge are not permitted.

GC8ZZPA: https://project-gc.com/Challenges/GC8ZZPA/54796
But you only have two finds below sea level and two at sea level. You'll need to qualify before you can get the challenge published.

GC8ZV2Q: Might need a new script. Quite easy to do if the same cache can be used for multiple sub-criteria, but having 50 unique caches would require a fair amount of calculation.

Also, checker writers do not have any access to unpublished caches, so you will need to provide the entire set of conditions.
September 18, 2020 09:45AM
Wow! Thank you for the quick reply. I've added my comments below in green.

sumbloke Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Three of your challenges I'm not sure are allowed
> under current guidelines.
> GC8ZGTK, GC8ZME1 and GC8ZZVH all seem to be
> against
> guideline
> 13
:
>
Not acceptable
> Restrictions on date of finds used for the
> challenge are not permitted.
>

sapien:
I'm a little bit confused. There is no requirement in GC8ZGTK to find your cache twin on a specific day. It can be found on any day. All that matters is that the cache you find is "born" on the same day as your GC profile. Does that still violate #13?

As for the other 2, GC8ZME1 and GC8ZZVH challenges, I've found similar (but much more simpler) birthday challenge caches (eg. GC86G8A, GC751BT, GC7RV15, GC7MWFT) that have been published since the moratorium was finished. Have the rules changed since these caches have been published?

By the way, I didn't expect such a quick response. FYI - I don't qualify for GC8ZZVH yet but will after this weekend, well in time before this cache is published.

>
> GC8ZZPA:
> https://project-gc.com/Challenges/GC8ZZPA/54796
> But you only have two finds below sea level and
> two at sea level. You'll need to qualify before
> you can get the challenge published.

sapien:
I'm interested in the sum of the elevations for the 5 lowest caches so under my profile, that is 1+0+0+(-2)+(-3) = -4 which is less than 0m / below sea level.

Sorry, I thought by providing the GC code, that meant you had secret access to my unpublished caches. I have more criteria for this cache as well. They are
Only the following cache types can be used to complete this challenge - traditional, multi, letterbox, mystery, and wherigo.
You can not use your own caches for this challenge. In the past you were able to log your own caches.
As well, you were also able to log caches multiple times in the past; only the first time you log a cache will be considered for this challenge. (I'm not sure if the same cache could show up multiple times in the list.)
You can not use other challenge caches, including this one, for this challenge. In other words, no armchair logging to qualify for this challenge.

>
> GC8ZV2Q: Might need a new script. Quite easy to do
> if the same cache can be used for multiple
> sub-criteria, but having 50 unique caches would
> require a fair amount of calculation.
>
> Also, checker writers do not have any access to
> unpublished caches, so you will need to provide
> the entire set of conditions.

sapien:
Unfortunately, my initial idea for the GC8ZV2Q challenge was to not allow for the re-use of events across the sub-criteria. In other words, yes, you must attend 50 unique events. In my head, I was thinking you would check for the days of the month first since they are probably the hardest criteria to meet, and then after that, the days of the week and months would be a toss-up. If it's too much work or if there's other options, please let me know.

I have additional criteria for that challenge too:
Only the following event types can be used to complete this challenge - regular, CITO, mega, giga, HQ block party, HQ celebration, lost and found/community celebrations.
You can not use your own events for this challenge.
Events must be logged on the actual date of the event. (I've seen people who write their 'attended' logs for a different day than the exact event date so I'm not sure what day/date the checker would use. I figured the checker could check for these problem logs first and then put up a error msg if it found any, or just eliminate those events from being used for the challenge,)

Again, thanks for the quick response.
September 18, 2020 12:17PM
GC8ZGTK - Geo birthday - find 1 cache born on the same day as your GC profile
Here is a checker https://project-gc.com/Challenges/GC8ZGTK/54804 but reviewers are not very consistent on this kind of challenge some publish while others reject

GC8ZME1 - Preteen - find 12 caches on their birthdays, 1 on its 1st birthday, 1 on its 2nd, etc, etc, all the way to 12th birthday
https://project-gc.com/Challenges/GC8ZME1/54806
September 18, 2020 09:37PM
Thank you too. I didn't expect so many people pitching in to help. Unfortunately I used up my 10 checker limit for the day already (I wish there was a monthly membership option) so I have to wait till tomorrow to look at these checkers. I can't wait though!

vogelbird Wrote:
> GC8ZGTK - Geo birthday - find 1 cache born on the
> same day as your GC profile
> Here is a checker
> https://project-gc.com/Challenges/GC8ZGTK/54804
> but reviewers are not very consistent on this kind
> of challenge some publish while others reject
>
> GC8ZME1 - Preteen - find 12 caches on their
> birthdays, 1 on its 1st birthday, 1 on its 2nd,
> etc, etc, all the way to 12th birthday
> https://project-gc.com/Challenges/GC8ZME1/54806
September 19, 2020 03:36PM
Yay! I have access to run the checkers again for 10 more times. My comments in green below. Thank you for all your help.

sapien Wrote:
> Thank you too. I didn't expect so many people
> pitching in to help. Unfortunately I used up my
> 10 checker limit for the day already (I wish there
> was a monthly membership option) so I have to wait
> till tomorrow to look at these checkers. I can't
> wait though!
>
> vogelbird Wrote:
> -------------------------------------------------------
> > GC8ZGTK - Geo birthday - find 1 cache born on
> the
> > same day as your GC profile
> > Here is a checker
> > https://project-gc.com/Challenges/GC8ZGTK/54804
> > but reviewers are not very consistent on this
> kind
> > of challenge some publish while others reject

This checker doesn't appear to be working. I'm looking to see if a cacher has found a cache with a hidden date that is the same as their Date Joined day. For me that's Aug 24, 2012 and the matching cache is GC2QQ0N Soar All Over.

I have additional criteria as well. All of my challenges have some version of these standard requirements.

Only the following cache types can be used to complete this challenge - traditional, multi, letterbox, mystery, and wherigo.
You can not use your own caches for this challenge. In the past you were able to log your own caches.
As well, you were also able to log caches multiple times in the past; only the first time you log a cache will be considered for this challenge.
You can not use other challenge caches, including this one, for this challenge. In other words, no armchair logging to qualify for this challenge.

And lastly, is it possible for the checker to also be able to provide a summary that shows something like
"This challenge was completed on yy/mm/dd. It took (cacher name) x# of caches and x# of days to complete this challenge."

yy/mm/dd would be the date the cache was found.
x# of caches would be the find number for that cache.
x# of days would be the how many days from the date found and the cacher's date joined.

I'm just curious to see how long cachers took to finish the challenge.

> >
> > GC8ZME1 - Preteen - find 12 caches on their
> > birthdays, 1 on its 1st birthday, 1 on its 2nd,
> > etc, etc, all the way to 12th birthday
> > https://project-gc.com/Challenges/GC8ZME1/54806

Excellent. The checker for the Preteen challenge appears to be working; it picks up all the first/oldest occurrences of birthday caches ages 1-12. As per my above comments, I have additional criteria however. Could these be added to the checker as well, please?

As well, you were also able to log caches multiple times in the past; only the first time you log a cache will be considered for this challenge.

Again, is it possible for the checker to also be able to provide a summary that shows something like

yy/mm/dd would be the last date found, out of all the 12 birthdays.
x# of days would be the number of days for that last find since the cacher's date joined.

And lastly, is there any way for the final results to be sorted by their age? ie 1-12 ascending

Thank you. :-)
September 21, 2020 08:42AM
Just an FYI - I'm not sure if this was the hold up for the 7 Sigma challenge GC8ZZVH checker but I now qualify for the challenge. I've logged the caches but I assume it'll take a couple of days for that data to get into into the Project-GC data base.

Thanks.
September 21, 2020 04:16PM
Re : GC8ZGTK - Geo birthday - find 1 cache born on the same day as your GC profile

Something strange with your birthday date.
The API returns the date as :Account Creation Date:2012-08-25

I made a filter on an existing script and the link to the checker is https://project-gc.com/Challenges/GC8ZGTK/54889

The types included are
"Traditional Cache",
"Unknown Cache",
"Multi-cache",
"Letterbox Hybrid",
"Wherigo Cache"

I do not understand your remark on mystery type challenge caches because they are physical caches and have northing to do with armchair caches.

If the output is not acceptable you have to get a scriptwriter who is willing to spend more time on it because my knowledge is limited on this matter.
September 21, 2020 04:36PM
Re: GC8ZME1 - Preteen - find 12 caches on their birthdays, 1 on its 1st birthday, 1 on its 2nd, etc, etc, all the way to 12th birthday

The new checker is https://project-gc.com/Challenges/GC8ZME1/54891

This checker gives the result in sequence as requested
The types included are
"Traditional Cache",
"Unknown Cache",
"Multi-cache",
"Letterbox Hybrid",
"Wherigo Cache"

I do not understand your remark on mystery type challenge caches because they are physical caches and have northing to do with armchair caches.
September 21, 2020 09:45PM
vogelbird Wrote:
> Re: GC8ZME1 - Preteen - find 12 caches on their
> birthdays, 1 on its 1st birthday, 1 on its 2nd,
> etc, etc, all the way to 12th birthday
>
> The new checker is
> https://project-gc.com/Challenges/GC8ZME1/54891
>
> This checker gives the result in sequence as
> requested
> The types included are
> "Traditional Cache",
> "Unknown Cache",
> "Multi-cache",
> "Letterbox Hybrid",
> "Wherigo Cache"
>
> I do not understand your remark on mystery type
> challenge caches because they are physical caches
> and have northing to do with armchair caches.

I wanted to use the challenge cache limitation to stop some potential cheating. Because you can "write notes" for challenge caches and then (armchair) log them any time afterwards once you qualify for them, a person could choose to log it on the date that helps them with this challenge. I just want to try to reduce that loophole. With the new challenge cache attribute, I'm hoping it's easy to filter them out. In the same way, I'm trying to filter out people's own caches too because they could have logged them on any day they wanted in the old days as well. Same goes for those caches before that people logged multiple times; I'm not sure which date(s) the checker would check against so I thought I would be explicit and say it only allows for the first time you found that cache. Hopefully that explains my thought process; if you think I'm way off base, I would appreciate any feedback. :-)

Thanks again.
September 21, 2020 10:08PM
I understand your point and I will contact the scriptwriter to see if this can be incorporated into the script
September 22, 2020 09:23AM
vogelbird Wrote:
> I understand your point and I will contact the
> scriptwriter to see if this can be incorporated
> into the script

Thank you. Much appreciated.

I assume this means the checker is on hold until then?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/22/2020 09:31AM by sapien. (view changes)
September 25, 2020 05:20PM
Re: GC8ZME1 - Preteen - find 12 caches on their birthdays, 1 on its 1st birthday, 1 on its 2nd, etc, etc, all the way to 12th birthday

Checker https://project-gc.com/Challenges/GC8ZME1/54891 now is excluding caches with the challenge attrbute
September 21, 2020 09:32PM
vogelbird Wrote:
> Re : GC8ZGTK - Geo birthday - find 1 cache born on
> the same day as your GC profile
>
> Something strange with your birthday date.
> The API returns the date as :Account Creation
> Date:2012-08-25
>
> I made a filter on an existing script and the link
> to the checker is
> https://project-gc.com/Challenges/GC8ZGTK/54889
>
> The types included are
> "Traditional Cache",
> "Unknown Cache",
> "Multi-cache",
> "Letterbox Hybrid",
> "Wherigo Cache"
>
> I do not understand your remark on mystery type
> challenge caches because they are physical caches
> and have northing to do with armchair caches.
>
> If the output is not acceptable you have to get a
> scriptwriter who is willing to spend more time on
> it because my knowledge is limited on this matter.

Well, that's interesting. That could be why I'm failing some of the similar challenges out there then. Is this a bug or could it be a time zone issue? Is there any way to mitigate this problem?

I also know understand the output it's giving too. And the checker's not doing exactly what I want for this challenge. Right now, the checker is looking for any caches that I've found that have a hidden date that matches my join date, but the year is irrelevant. I want the challenge to be more specific, including the year. In my case, my join date is Aug 24, 2012 (or Aug 25 according to the API) so I want the challenge to be find a cache with that exact hide date, including the year. Could you please update the checker to do that?

If I don't qualify this challenge because of the Aug 25 thing, does that mean they won't approve it even though I do qualify "the manual check way" using the Aug 24 date?

And again, thank you for the great feedback about the challenge cache limitation. It's probably not applicable for this challenge so I'll remove it. I'll explain below why I want it in other challenges, in a different reply for other checker.
September 21, 2020 09:45PM
you also have to realize that you can not limit the challenge to one year because that will be seen as time limited that's why the checker allows for any year
September 22, 2020 09:20AM
vogelbird Wrote:
> you also have to realize that you can not limit
> the challenge to one year because that will be
> seen as time limited that's why the checker allows
> for any year

Sorry, I think I'm a little bit confused still then. There are other similar challenge caches out there like the one I'm trying to create with the very specific geo-birthday including the year. GC6TCC3 was approved after the new challenge moratorium was over. Have the guidelines changed since that cache was approved? If you could please explain, that would be greatly appreciated. Now that I've found this challenge cache, could its checker be re-used for my challenge with my extra restrictions (cache types, no owner owned caches, no challenge caches, etc)?

Thanks.

I still have the problem that I fail that checker as well though. Will that cause an issue getting this challenge approved? The good news is I just found out there is a cache in my local area that was hidden on Aug 25, 2012 that I could go find, which would match the API's join date for me.
September 24, 2020 09:08PM
There is the guideline problem on this challenge (time limited).
In general the reviewer will not accept a challenge which is limited to just a date where the year is important,
A similar cache in my local area was refused. Please ask your local reviewer if he would publish.
September 24, 2020 10:16PM
vogelbird Wrote:
> There is the guideline problem on this challenge
> (time limited).
> In general the reviewer will not accept a
> challenge which is limited to just a date where
> the year is important,
> A similar cache in my local area was refused.
> Please ask your local reviewer if he would
> publish.

Thanks, vogelbird. I've submitted the cache for their feedback. I'll let you know what they say.
September 28, 2020 09:39PM
sapien Wrote:
> vogelbird Wrote:
> > There is the guideline problem on this
> challenge
> > (time limited).
> > In general the reviewer will not accept a
> > challenge which is limited to just a date where
> > the year is important,
> > A similar cache in my local area was refused.
> > Please ask your local reviewer if he would
> > publish.
>
> Thanks, vogelbird. I've submitted the cache for
> their feedback. I'll let you know what they say.

Sorry for the delay. I feel a little defeated right now. The reviewer has confirmed this type of challenge is not allowed now. I'm not sure why/how the other challenge cache example got approved. It appears even the verbiage has changed and it makes me wonder now if my Preteen challenge is at risk too though but we'll see what happens when I submit it.

In the meantime, I guess I need to pivot for this challenge. Am I able to change this challenge cache to a different cache now or is it too late? I was thinking about setting up a challenge where you have to find 15 different cache types (eg. traditional, mystery, multi, etc) to qualify. However lab caches are not included since Project-GC doesn't seem to play nice with them, and I assume same goes with waymarks and benchmarks too. Are there any other "outside of the box" cache types or other gotchas I should be aware of? Would this type of challenge be allowed? Could a checker be written for that?

Thanks.
September 28, 2020 10:32PM
No problem with those
Cache In Trash Out Event - GC3X0A8 / CCARF12 Kickoff CITO / 2012-10-20
Earthcache - GC1EGG5 / Black sand beach-Plage de sable noire-14 / 2012-11-30
Event Cache - GC3RH6Q / Crash and Relax - Midnight Event - CCARF12 / 2012-10-21
Letterbox Hybrid - GC2R1K3 / Fine Woodwork CCARS11 / 2012-11-16
Multi-cache - GC3XD94 / Pirates of the Elbow Treasure Chest #2 - CCARF12 / 2012-10-20
Traditional Cache - GCMB99 / Banff Micro Cache / 2012-09-06
Unknown Cache - GC3YGRY / Celebration - CCARF12 / 2012-10-20
Virtual Cache - GC676D / Why, Papa? / 2012-11-29
Webcam Cache - GC8760 / Smile! / 2015-03-14
Wherigo Cache - GC5D0B1 / The Canmore Park Adventure / 2015-08-28

but these will become more difficult
GPS Adventures Exhibit - GC58J1B / GPS Adventures Maze Exhibit TELUS World of Science / 2015-05-02
Groundspeak Block Party - GC5G4X5 / 2015 Geocaching Block Party / 2015-08-15
Groundspeak HQ - GCK25B / Geocaching Headquarters / 2015-08-14
Lab Cache - 0c2dd578-5a41-4887-879c-9fe670f679a5 / The Seattle Center / 2015-08-15
Lost and Found Event Cache - GC8K1H2 / A Ghostly Summer Solstice - CCE2020 / 2020-06-20
Mega-Event Cache - GC5F58Q / Going Ape 2015 / 2015-08-16

Maybe your reviewer will accept two or three out of the six rare types.
September 28, 2020 10:54PM
vogelbird Wrote:
> No problem with those
> Cache In Trash Out Event - GC3X0A8 / CCARF12
> Kickoff CITO / 2012-10-20
> Earthcache - GC1EGG5 / Black sand beach-Plage de
> sable noire-14 / 2012-11-30
> Event Cache - GC3RH6Q / Crash and Relax - Midnight
> Event - CCARF12 / 2012-10-21
> Letterbox Hybrid - GC2R1K3 / Fine Woodwork CCARS11
> / 2012-11-16
> Multi-cache - GC3XD94 / Pirates of the Elbow
> Treasure Chest #2 - CCARF12 / 2012-10-20
> Traditional Cache - GCMB99 / Banff Micro Cache /
> 2012-09-06
> Unknown Cache - GC3YGRY / Celebration - CCARF12 /
> 2012-10-20
> Virtual Cache - GC676D / Why, Papa? / 2012-11-29
> Webcam Cache - GC8760 / Smile! / 2015-03-14
> Wherigo Cache - GC5D0B1 / The Canmore Park
> Adventure / 2015-08-28
>
> but these will become more difficult
> GPS Adventures Exhibit - GC58J1B / GPS
> Adventures Maze Exhibit TELUS World of Science /
> 2015-05-02

> Groundspeak Block Party - GC5G4X5 / 2015
> Geocaching Block Party / 2015-08-15

> Groundspeak HQ - GCK25B / Geocaching
> Headquarters / 2015-08-14

> Lab Cache -
> 0c2dd578-5a41-4887-879c-9fe670f679a5 / The Seattle
> Center / 2015-08-15

> Lost and Found Event Cache - GC8K1H2 / A
> Ghostly Summer Solstice - CCE2020 / 2020-06-20

> Mega-Event Cache - GC5F58Q / Going Ape 2015 /
> 2015-08-16

>
> Maybe your reviewer will accept two or three out
> of the six rare types.

I'm not sure I understand.

There are other additional cache types that could also be used for the challenge -
Giga
Ape
Locationless
HQ Celebration
but I don't have any of them yet.

Are you saying I need to be specific about which of the (rare) types I want for my challenge? Can I not make the challenge be for any 15 (minus the labs, benchmarks, and waymarks but including the 4 others I listed above)? That's what I want.

Or are you saying the maximum number of types I would be allowed for this challenge no matter what is 12-13 in total?
September 28, 2020 11:43PM
It is the last, max number without specifying is 12 to 13 depending on the region you are in
September 29, 2020 07:33AM
vogelbird Wrote:
> It is the last, max number without specifying is
> 12 to 13 depending on the region you are in

Darn, that's too bad. I didn't think there was any restrictions on cache types challenges and I thought there was enough cachers in my area who qualify for the 15 that the challenge would be ok'ed. Oh well; if it's a max of 12-13, scratch that idea too then.

I didn't think it would be so tough to come up with challenges. Maybe there should be a challenge cache for anyone who can come up with a new challenge. ;-) Haha I already know that's not allowed either. :-)

Anyways here's another challenge idea I have. Hopefully it can replace this geo-birthday cache. I call it 2^8 D/T Challenge - find
256 D1.0 caches (2^8)
128 D1.5 (2^7)
64 D2.0
etc, all the way down to
1 D5.0 (2^0)
and then the same for the terrain totals (ie, 256 T1.0, 128 T1.5, etc, all the way to 1 T5.0). The Fizzy doesn't have to be full so I don't think I can call this a Fizzy challenge, though I may create another challenge once I finish my Fizzy. All that matters for this challenge is the totals across the bottom (terrain) and sides (difficulty) which have to add up to the right numbers. Is that challenge ok? Are there any issues or gotchas with it that I need to be aware of?

Thanks for all your feedback and your patience as I figure all this stuff out. It's certainly been eye opening. 8-0
September 29, 2020 07:45AM
Here's a checker for that: https://project-gc.com/Challenges/GC8ZGTK/55089

Please confirm it is suitable.
September 30, 2020 09:15PM
sumbloke Wrote:
> Here's a checker for that:
> https://project-gc.com/Challenges/GC8ZGTK/55089
>
> Please confirm it is suitable.

Yes! Tested and it appears to be working. :-) Thank you.

Is there any way to turn the output into a grid, kinda like a Fizzy grid (eg https://project-gc.com/Challenges/GC4RJHV/17696), with just the totals across the bottom and on the right side (I don't really care about the actual numbers inside but you can leave them in if you want) and then red or green colours for the totals or maybe green check marks or red x's if they don't meet the criteria? The number needed for each D and T level should be listed somewhere as well (the 256, 128, etc).

As with my other challenges, do you think it would be worthwhile excluding the cacher's own caches from this challenge? Or caches that were logged multiple times (ie. they can only be used once for this challenge)? I'm just wondering. I live in an area that had a couple of local travelling caches and virtual that people logged multiple times.

In case it affects how you write the code for this checker, my long term goal here, eventually, is to include the criteria of it being a full fizzy as well (once I complete it). And I'm also hoping eventually I can build on the numbers and have future challenges based on 2^9 (512, 256, 128,..., 2), 2^10 (1024, 512, ..., 4) totals someday too.

Thanks.
October 01, 2020 01:47AM
I'm not aware of any script which can do the calculations you requested and output a grid, sorry.

As far as the other requests go, I doubt it would make a huge difference for this challenge since the cachers who would qualify would need so many others that logging their own caches or logging multiple times is likely to be just a blip in the stats. That being said, I can look into including some additional code in the script to handle this (but it won't be very quick - I'll want to thoroughly test the code, since this script is widely used and I don't want to break any checkers).
October 01, 2020 08:41AM
sumbloke Wrote:
> I'm not aware of any script which can do the
> calculations you requested and output a grid,
> sorry.
>
> As far as the other requests go, I doubt it would
> make a huge difference for this challenge since
> the cachers who would qualify would need so many
> others that logging their own caches or logging
> multiple times is likely to be just a blip in the
> stats. That being said, I can look into including
> some additional code in the script to handle this
> (but it won't be very quick - I'll want to
> thoroughly test the code, since this script is
> widely used and I don't want to break any
> checkers).

The closest example I could find of a challenge with a drawn Fizzy grid with some calculations involved is this one - https://project-gc.com/Challenges/GC7F747/30400. Could it be modified for this challenge?

If not, could the Fizzy grid be displayed at the top of my output at least? Maybe like the output from https://project-gc.com/Challenges/GC4RJHV/17696?

I was just reviewing the stats for one of our local travelling caches and 100+ people have logged it at least 50+ times before it was archived, the top cacher having found it over 700 times! So it would be appreciated, if it is possible to add that to the code, as well as the exclude your own caches criteria. If it's not possible, I understand. I'm already waiting for a script to be written for another one of my challenges right now anyways so there is probably some time here.

Thanks.
October 22, 2020 10:53PM
Hi there, just following up to see if the script has been modified or not yet.

Thanks.
September 18, 2020 01:03PM
GC8ZZPA - Below Sea Level - find 5 caches whose total elevation is less than 0m

Here is the correct checker https://project-gc.com/Challenges/GC8ZZPA/54812

Please test and reply

@sumbloke - can you remove checker 54796
September 19, 2020 03:48PM
Excellent. This checker is picking up the correct caches and doing the math. However, does it take into consideration the additional criteria I listed above?

As well, you were also able to log caches multiple times in the past; only the first time you log a cache will be considered for this challenge. (I'm not sure if the same cache could show up multiple times in the list.)

And again (sorry I sound like a broken record), is it possible for the checker to also be able to provide a summary that shows something like

yy/mm/dd would be the last date found, out of all the 5 caches.
x# of days would be the number of days for that last find since the cacher's date joined.

I'm excited; a couple of these checkers are really close to being 100%. Thanks everyone for all your help. :-)

vogelbird Wrote:
> GC8ZZPA - Below Sea Level - find 5 caches whose
> total elevation is less than 0m
>
> Here is the correct checker
> https://project-gc.com/Challenges/GC8ZZPA/54812
>
> Please test and reply
>
>
> @sumbloke - can you remove checker 54796
September 20, 2020 05:42PM
I like to ask you to consider the types allowed because for only the tradi's the real cache coordinates are also the cache elavations. The mysteries are the worst, the coordinates on the listing for this types can be out at sea, deep lakes or large rivers which make it easy to pass the checker.

At the moment I have put config Traditional cache types only

In additional I put the find date in the output but you requirements on how the output should look like I can not fulfill . The script is generic and is also used for other challenges.
September 21, 2020 09:06AM
vogelbird Wrote:
> I like to ask you to consider the types allowed
> because for only the tradi's the real cache
> coordinates are also the cache elavations. The
> mysteries are the worst, the coordinates on the
> listing for this types can be out at sea, deep
> lakes or large rivers which make it easy to pass
> the checker.
>
> At the moment I have put config Traditional cache
> types only
>
> In additional I put the find date in the output
> but you requirements on how the output should look
> like I can not fulfill . The script is generic and
> is also used for other challenges.

Thanks for the info, vogelbird. That's great feedback; I never even considered that as a factor. If the elevation data on only truly accurate on trads, I'm okay with changing my challenge to just trads only. Makes it simpler, really.

As for the summary information, I understand. Too bad though; I thought it would be interesting information to report on. Perhaps a future enhancement for the whole generic script then? Maybe others would be interested in seeing that kind of info too.

Does that mean the Below Sea Level checker is ready to go then? Is there anything else that needs to be dealt with? Does it exclude the cacher's own caches?

I just have to wait for the other 4 checkers to be finished then?

Again, thank you for all your help and advice.
September 21, 2020 03:33PM
Yes- GC8ZZPA - Below Sea Level is ready to go but you have to add the word challenge in the title

Please read 2.12.1 of the guidelines
1. Type, Title, and Attribute
Challenge caches must be listed as Mystery caches, must have the English word "challenge" in the title, and must include the challenge cache attribute.

Note:
The checker exclude the cacher's own caches
September 21, 2020 09:50PM
vogelbird Wrote:
> Yes- GC8ZZPA - Below Sea Level is ready to go but
> you have to add the word challenge in the title
>
> Please read 2.12.1 of the guidelines
> 1. Type, Title, and Attribute
> Challenge caches must be listed as Mystery caches,
> must have the English word "challenge" in the
> title, and must include the challenge cache
> attribute.
>
> Note:
> The checker exclude the cacher's own caches

Thank you and no problem. I like the word 'challenge' so much, it's actually in the title twice. ;-) The official name for the cache will be Challenge Olio #4 - Below Sea Level Challenge.

I'll set up the link now. 1 down, 4 to go. Woo hoo! Thank you. :-)
September 21, 2020 12:29AM
I've removed my checker as requested.
September 18, 2020 11:55AM
GC8ZV2Q - Event-full Calendar - attend 50 events - 7 events on Mon-Sun, 12 events in Jan-Dec, and 31 days for each day of the month (1-31)

https://project-gc.com/Challenges/GC8ZV2Q/54803
September 18, 2020 09:34PM
pieterix Wrote:
> GC8ZV2Q - Event-full Calendar - attend 50 events -
> 7 events on Mon-Sun, 12 events in Jan-Dec, and 31
> days for each day of the month (1-31)
>
> https://project-gc.com/Challenges/GC8ZV2Q/54803

Thanks for the quick turnaround. :-) Could you add the GC codes and names for each of the qualifying events? It would like a nicer calendar kind of look as well but that's just cosmetic at this point. Let's make sure everything else is working first. I can't tell for sure but I'm guessing you're allowing for overlap between the different sub-criteria (days of the month, days of the week, months of the year) and it looks like the checker also allows for the use of their own events. I was hoping both things could be disallowed.

This is what I wrote up in my previous reply as to extra criteria -

Unfortunately, my initial idea for the GC8ZV2Q challenge was to not allow for the re-use of events across the sub-criteria. In other words, yes, you must attend 50 unique events. In my head, I was thinking you would check for the days of the month first since they are probably the hardest criteria to meet, and then after that, the days of the week and months would be a toss-up. If it's too much work or if there's other options, please let me know.

I have additional criteria for that challenge too:
Only the following event types can be used to complete this challenge - regular, CITO, mega, giga, HQ block party, HQ celebration, lost and found/community celebrations.
You can not use your own events for this challenge.
Events must be logged on the actual date of the event. (I've seen people who write their 'attended' logs for a different day than the exact event date so I'm not sure what day/date the checker would use. I figured the checker could check for these problem logs first and then put up a error msg if it found any, or just eliminate those events from being used for the challenge.)

Thank you!
September 21, 2020 09:17AM
sapien Wrote:
> pieterix Wrote:
> > GC8ZV2Q - Event-full Calendar - attend 50 events
> -
> > 7 events on Mon-Sun, 12 events in Jan-Dec, and
> 31
> > days for each day of the month (1-31)
> >
> > https://project-gc.com/Challenges/GC8ZV2Q/54803
>
> Thanks for the quick turnaround.
> :-) Could you add the GC codes and names for each
> of the qualifying events? It would like a nicer
> calendar kind of look as well but that's just
> cosmetic at this point. Let's make sure
> everything else is working first. I can't tell
> for sure but I'm guessing you're allowing for
> overlap between the different sub-criteria (days
> of the month, days of the week, months of the
> year) and it looks like the checker also allows
> for the use of their own events. I was hoping
> both things could be disallowed.
>
> This is what I wrote up in my previous reply as to
> extra criteria -
>
> Unfortunately, my initial idea for the GC8ZV2Q
> challenge was to not allow for the re-use of
> events across the sub-criteria. In other words,
> yes, you must attend 50 unique events. In my head,
> I was thinking you would check for the days of the
> month first since they are probably the hardest
> criteria to meet, and then after that, the days of
> the week and months would be a toss-up. If it's
> too much work or if there's other options, please
> let me know.
>
> I have additional criteria for that challenge
> too:
> Only the following event types can be used to
> complete this challenge - regular, CITO, mega,
> giga, HQ block party, HQ celebration, lost and
> found/community celebrations.
> You can not use your own events for this
> challenge.
> Events must be logged on the actual date of the
> event. (I've seen people who write their
> 'attended' logs for a different day than the exact
> event date so I'm not sure what day/date the
> checker would use. I figured the checker could
> check for these problem logs first and then put up
> a error msg if it found any, or just eliminate
> those events from being used for the challenge.)
>
> Thank you!

I'm not sure what the status of this new script is but I was thinking about the logic and steps I have used and would use to manually verify if someone qualifies for this challenge. I don't know the programming language or the data structures and constraints but I could document it as pseudocode if you're interested and if that would help.

The output that's being generated from the existing checker right now is actually already a great start.

Please let me know.

Thanks.
September 28, 2020 09:44PM
sapien Wrote:
> sapien Wrote:
> > pieterix Wrote:
> >
> > > GC8ZV2Q - Event-full Calendar - attend 50
> events
> > -
> > > 7 events on Mon-Sun, 12 events in Jan-Dec,
> and
> > 31
> > > days for each day of the month (1-31)
> > >
> > >
> https://project-gc.com/Challenges/GC8ZV2Q/54803
> >
> > Thanks for the quick turnaround.
> > :-) Could you add the GC codes and names for
> each
> > of the qualifying events? It would like a
> nicer
> > calendar kind of look as well but that's just
> > cosmetic at this point. Let's make sure
> > everything else is working first. I can't tell
> > for sure but I'm guessing you're allowing for
> > overlap between the different sub-criteria
> (days
> > of the month, days of the week, months of the
> > year) and it looks like the checker also allows
> > for the use of their own events. I was hoping
> > both things could be disallowed.
> >
> > This is what I wrote up in my previous reply as
> to
> > extra criteria -
> >
> > Unfortunately, my initial idea for the GC8ZV2Q
> > challenge was to not allow for the re-use of
> > events across the sub-criteria. In other words,
> > yes, you must attend 50 unique events. In my
> head,
> > I was thinking you would check for the days of
> the
> > month first since they are probably the hardest
> > criteria to meet, and then after that, the days
> of
> > the week and months would be a toss-up. If it's
> > too much work or if there's other options,
> please
> > let me know.
> >
> > I have additional criteria for that challenge
> > too:
> > Only the following event types can be used to
> > complete this challenge - regular, CITO, mega,
> > giga, HQ block party, HQ celebration, lost and
> > found/community celebrations.
> > You can not use your own events for this
> > challenge.
> > Events must be logged on the actual date of the
> > event. (I've seen people who write their
> > 'attended' logs for a different day than the
> exact
> > event date so I'm not sure what day/date the
> > checker would use. I figured the checker could
> > check for these problem logs first and then put
> up
> > a error msg if it found any, or just eliminate
> > those events from being used for the
> challenge.)
> >
> > Thank you!

>
> I'm not sure what the status of
> this new script is but I was thinking about the
> logic and steps I have used and would use to
> manually verify if someone qualifies for this
> challenge. I don't know the programming language
> or the data structures and constraints but I could
> document it as pseudocode if you're interested and
> if that would help.
>
> The output that's being generated from the
> existing checker right now is actually already a
> great start.
>
> Please let me know.
>
> Thanks.

I haven't seen any updates lately so I just wanted to follow up and see if I can do anything to help with this new script.

Thanks.
September 28, 2020 11:30PM
Haven't tried yet, but I've jotted down some ideas to try tomorrow evening. Will post update if/when I manage.
September 29, 2020 06:44AM
pieterix Wrote:
> Haven't tried yet, but I've jotted down some ideas
> to try tomorrow evening. Will post update if/when
> I manage.

Thanks for the update. Looking forward to see what you come up with. :-)
October 09, 2020 08:31PM
Hi again, I just thought I'd follow up. Any progress on the new script? Should I jot down my ideas here to see if they can help?

Thanks.
October 22, 2020 10:59PM
sapien Wrote:
> Hi again, I just thought I'd follow up. Any
> progress on the new script? Should I jot down my
> ideas here to see if they can help?
>
> Thanks.

It's been a couple of weeks so I just wanted to see there are any updates for the new script.

Also, could the status of this thread be changed from 'awaiting feedback'? I don't think that's the case any more (unless I'm missing something). As far as I know, 2 of the checkers for my 4 challenges have been completed and I'm waiting on mods to one checker and a new script for the last challenge. I haven't published any of the challenges yet because I'm waiting to release all 4 of them as a set.

Thanks.
September 21, 2020 04:43PM
Re: GC8ZZVH - 7 Sigma birthday - find 7 caches on their 1st birthday, 6 on their 2nd, etc all the way down/up to 1 cache on its 7th birthday for a total of 28 caches

I would suggest to wait with this challenge till you get approval for GC8ZME1 because a similar challenge in Ontario was rejected by the reviewer
September 21, 2020 10:05PM
vogelbird Wrote:
> Re: GC8ZZVH - 7 Sigma birthday - find 7 caches on
> their 1st birthday, 6 on their 2nd, etc all the
> way down/up to 1 cache on its 7th birthday for a
> total of 28 caches
>
> I would suggest to wait with this challenge till
> you get approval for GC8ZME1 because a similar
> challenge in Ontario was rejected by the reviewer

Fair enough - Lucky that's my 5th in this series so hopefully I can get the others approved first and then put that one out later.
September 24, 2020 08:52PM
I just noticed this post is flagged as 'awaiting feedback' but as far as I can tell, I've responded to everything. If I missed something, please let me know. Or hopefully this msg will reset the flag back to the opposite status; I'm not sure what that is though. :-o

Thanks.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/24/2020 09:47PM by sapien. (view changes)
December 09, 2020 03:32AM
*Bump*

Could someone please adjust the status of this request to New Script Required instead of Awaiting Feedback? As far as I can tell, I've replied to any questions or concerns. If not, please let me know.

Thank you.
December 09, 2020 06:33AM
Could you start for each GCcode a new request and mark clearly what is still required because this request page is a mess
December 10, 2020 08:10AM
Will do. Thanks.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login