Advanced

Re: GC1ZAZG - High in Colorado

[Resolved] GC1ZAZG - High in Colorado
May 23, 2021 08:30PM
Hello,

The cache GC1ZAZG, High in Colorado, is a challenge cache involving finding enough of the highest-elevation caches in Colorado to accumulate a total of over 500,000 feet of elevation. The cache owner of this cache has gone missing (along with their custom checker scripts) and the community is trying to keep this cache alive.

I think that for this to work, the cache challenge will have to be changed slightly.

1. Eligible caches. The cache listing refers to a bookmark list containing the highest 120 caches. This list is no longer being maintained. The Project-GC checker will need to formulate the list of eligible caches using elevations obtained from Groundspeak.

2. Cache types. The cache listing allows traditional, multi-cache, and letterbox. The cache owner used to manually determine eligibility of multi-caches and letterboxes based on the location of the final stage, not the listed coordinates. If this is not possible with Project-GC, then the script should count only traditional caches. Those who want to count multis or letterboxes could mention these in their found-it logs along with the Project-GC script output.

The checker should print at least the final elevation total, and it would be nice to include the list of caches found and their elevations in the script output.

Thanks!
--ernie66
May 23, 2021 10:15PM
Here is a link:
https://project-gc.com/Challenges/GC1ZAZG/60976
Please say if this is good for you. it only includes traditional caches, as we can't access the final coordinates.
May 23, 2021 10:18PM
May 23, 2021 10:30PM
Looks like a cross post.
May 23, 2021 10:53PM
Hello DrAcorn,

Thanks for providing this script. It is close, but it does not quite look like it exactly follows the rules of the cache.

Your script: Find the highest 120 caches in Colorado. For each, if I have found the cache, add its elevation to my total.

The rules: Find the highest 120 caches in Colorado. For each of the highest 100 caches I don't own, if I have found the cache, then add its elevation to my total.

One possible algorithm:

n = 1
for each cache in 'high' do
  if cache is archived OR I own the cache, do nothing
  else if I have found the cache then
    add cache elevation to `elev`
    show cache in table position n as green
    increment n
  end else
    show cache in table position n as black
    increment n
  end
  if n > 100 exit loop
end

Thanks!
--ernie66

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/23/2021 11:03PM by ernie66. (view changes)
May 23, 2021 11:32PM
Hello, sloth96

Thanks for providing this script. I think there are a couple of discrepancies that don't match the rules in GC1ZAZG.

- Archived caches that I have found should not count toward the required elevation.
- Caches I own are not being shown in the list, although looking at the code, it looks like they should be. Caches I own could be shown and colored to highlight them, but should not count toward the requirement.

I like the display of unfound caches in red. Would it be possible to show the Archived and Owned caches that don't count toward the total in a different color?

It would be nice to display the elevations of each cache and the total as feet rather than meters :-).

Thanks!
--ernie66

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/24/2021 12:22AM by ernie66. (view changes)
May 24, 2021 12:05AM
I believe the checker now complies with the conditions of the cache. I am trying to figure out how to include the formatting in a clean reusable fashion. As there are already problems comprehending it, it seems a bit messy already.

The update shows only caches that would count to the total. Your owned caches and archived caches are trimmed from the list. This seems consistent with the language on the cache page where it specifies removing archived and owner's have a shorter list and then other tacked on the end.
May 24, 2021 12:21AM
Hi sloth96,

The latest revision looks good! The results look accurate. Just a couple small things: the "needed" number in the output should be converted to feet and "caches" is misspelled.

You have found 1315459 feet of the needed 152400
Missing cacheches are in red

Thanks for doing this!
--ernie66
May 23, 2021 11:01PM
ernie66

No feedback for me?
May 23, 2021 11:56PM
Hello, sloth96

Thanks for providing this script. I think there are a couple of discrepancies that don't match the rules in GC1ZAZG.

- Archived caches that I have found should not count toward the required elevation.
- Caches I own are not being shown in the list, although looking at the code, it looks like they should be. Caches I own could be shown and colored to highlight them, but should not count toward the requirement.

I like the display of unfound caches in red. Would it be possible to show the Archived and Owned caches that don't count toward the total in a different color?

It would be nice to display the elevations of each cache and the total as feet rather than meters :-).

Thanks!
--ernie66
May 24, 2021 12:43AM
Try now
May 24, 2021 12:54AM
This looks good! Many thanks for doing this!

--ernie66
May 24, 2021 08:04AM
Have deeted my script, since sloth96’s one works best.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login