[Resolved] high points of the us
June 09, 2021 08:00PM
Hello,
I would like to put out a challenge for the high points of each state in the US. I would like the requirement to be a cache found with .25 of the actual high point of each state. Is there a challenge already published that requests something like this? If not, is it possible to create one? the gps of each state's high point is easily accessible.
Re: high points of the us
June 09, 2021 08:43PM
So there are scripts to find the oldest cache in N of states. It would be possible to have the constraint be the highest in N states. This is not quite what you asked for. Specifying the locations would probably run afoul of the custom polygon rule.

So might end up in a scenario where the cache on k2 is higher than the one on everest.

Have you reached out to your reviewer?
June 09, 2021 08:52PM
@sloth98 - read https://project-gc.com/forum/read?5,42384,42384#msg-42384

GetHighestCaches()
GetLowestCaches()

They work more or less identical to GetOldestCaches().
June 09, 2021 09:21PM
Like that idea. It would be a 9ne or two line change.
June 09, 2021 09:00PM
Thank you for your quick response.
I'm not sure I understand the polygon rule.
Each state in the US has a designated high point. Many of them have benchmarks already and caches. If the lat and long(These are easily accessible when I look for high points) for these are all listed for the checker and the requirements would be to find a cache within .25 of those coordinates for N states there would not be a conflict that I can see.
June 09, 2021 09:23PM
Within a quarter mile of a given point is a polygon and would be custom as radius is specified by the challenge as is the cemter..
June 09, 2021 09:39PM
Would it be easier to make the distance smaller than .25. Most of the caches are closer than .25.i was only trying to make it easier to accomplish.
June 09, 2021 10:32PM
The fact that you specify the radius and the centerpoint at all makes it a custom polygon and therefor a no-go under
https://www.geocaching.com/help/index.php?pg=kb.chapter&id=127&pgid=206

The explicit language is in 10. Sources of Criteria and reads as follows:
Not Acceptable: Challenges based on geographic areas other than countries, states/provinces, counties (or their local equivalent). For example, user-defined mapping polygons, latitude/longitude, radius, etc.
June 09, 2021 10:38PM
Ok
Got it.
Thank you.
June 09, 2021 11:17PM
Here is a draft (not for cache use, may still be buggy) of what the highest cache in regions looks like

https://project-gc.com/Challenges//61363
June 11, 2021 09:00PM
This would work for me. You folks are awesome!
Using this link, could I submit a challenge requiring N of high in a region?
June 12, 2021 01:44AM
Can you give us a GC code and how many you would like the script configured for?

I will be disabling the other link as I finish my debugging.

While it is up, though, please feel free to pass on as much feedback as you wish.
June 12, 2021 12:39PM
I have not published it yet. I wanted to make sure I could actually do it first. I am thinking I'll request 5 to qualify. I'll submit the cache soon and send in the gc code.

You are awesome!
Thanks
June 12, 2021 01:16PM
I might ask for 10 to qualify if my reviewer will allow me to.
June 12, 2021 01:58PM
Just to make sure you understand the timing, we need the GC-code before you submit the cache for review.

Cheers.
June 12, 2021 03:39PM
Oh, I didn't know that. We'll try to get the Gc this weekend.
June 12, 2021 03:42PM
I did know I have to have checker in place before I submit it.
June 14, 2021 06:30PM
Here is the gc for our challenge cache to be submitted.

GC9CRJD

Geocache Description:

We started looking for the highest point in regions before we began geocaching. Our first one was Florida. We were driving along and there was a sign saying Florida high point. Well, if you see a sign like this , it seems, you should go check it out. It turns out that Florida is the lowest high point in the US. Since our first highest in a region we have traveled to over 20 others. Most recently, we traveled to the southeast and claimed 4 more. There are caches at many of these.

The challenge requiements to claim a smiley here is to find 10 different region highest.

The D/T is rated for the challenge, not the actual cache hidden here.
June 15, 2021 09:35PM
Any where in the world?
June 15, 2021 09:43PM
only is the US
June 15, 2021 09:39PM
https://project-gc.com/Challenges/GC9CRJD/61483

Here is a link for US states. I think that is what you wanted from the thread start but not clear from the latest description. The caches shown on the map are the highest that are checked against. Please double check them.

I looked a few near me and they seemed right but a more critical look would be appreciated.
June 15, 2021 09:53PM
Checker is still disabled
June 15, 2021 10:04PM
I was trying to check the link , but I can't get it to work.
I also tried to add to my cache page to check it. What am I doing wrong?
June 15, 2021 10:08PM
sloth96 has his script disabled that's why the checker does not work

To get the checker on the listing you can use this procedure (but only when the checker is enabled)
1. Open the link as provided
2. Click on in the "link" button on the right
3. Copy the code for the third option and paste it into your cache description
(You might need to first click on the green button above the description to put it in the right mode.)
4. Save & preview and submit for publication once you're happy with it.

If you don't see the usual challenge check icon you might need to click the Source button above the cache description box before you paste the code.
June 15, 2021 10:11PM
Sorry, I had the script disabled as I discovered multi country did not work and needed to fix it.

It should be good now.
June 15, 2021 10:36PM
I have it. Thanks so much. This will work .
June 22, 2021 09:08PM
In regards to our cache GC9CRJD...
Per our reviewer, our requirements are too difficult for most cachers. Could you re do the geochecker to match these new requirements?
I've now changed the actual requirement to finding 4 of the state high points. I've also changed the name of the cache to highest in 4 states challenge.
Here is the description :
Geocache Description:

This cache is located at the listed coordinates.The rating is for the challenge, not the actual cache container.

We started looking for the highest point in regions before we began geocaching. Our first one was Florida. We were driving along and there was a sign saying Florida high point. Well, if you see a sign like this , it seems, you should go check it out. It turns out that Florida is the lowest high point in the US. Since our first highest in a state we have traveled to over 20 others. Most recently, we traveled to the southeast and claimed 4 more. When folks ask what are some of our favorite caches we've found, many of these high points come to mind. In Louisiana we met up with a rattle snake who did not want to share the trail. Illinois high of the region is the nearest to this cache. Mount Washington was also in the top 10 of all of the caches we've found. There are caches at many of the state high points.
June 24, 2021 01:41AM
Updated.

4 looks like there are 17 possible finders in your home state.
June 24, 2021 08:28PM
Awesome.
Thanks so much for all of your help.
Would I have to update the original checker on the cache page? Or has that been done from your end?
June 25, 2021 03:54AM
The old link should still work.
June 25, 2021 05:47PM
Great. I'll see if my reviewer will publish it today.
June 26, 2021 01:40PM
Did you have the challenge attribute set on the cache? The checker was automatically disabled after the cache published.
June 26, 2021 05:48PM
No I didn't. I have it on there now. Will it work or do i need to do something else?
June 26, 2021 11:35PM
Looks fine from here.
June 28, 2021 12:06PM
Howdy, I misspoke. I had been looking at the checker status and not at the attributes.

The checker was disabled again because of the attributes. The one that looks like a person climbing stairs needs to be enabled on the cache. The field puzzle and solution checker are on the cache and they should not be.
June 28, 2021 08:06PM
ok
it should be good now
June 29, 2021 01:25AM
You probably want to turn off the solution checker attribute.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login