Advanced

Re: Checker request for GC9F8F4 Time and Space Challenge

[Resolved] Checker request for GC9F8F4 Time and Space Challenge
August 18, 2021 12:44AM
Hello, Some years ago, a checker request was submitted by Quebec-based cachers
Fullbrou & mcmeunier. The challenge associated with "GC8M2QD: Défi Vieilles caches
Oldies caches Challenge" was to find a cache hidden in each year between 2000-2014,
with the twist that each cache must be from a different Canadian province or US state.

Seven additional years have now come and gone, This cache is an update on that one,
requiring 22 caches in total: one hidden in each year 2000-2021, again with each of
those caches coming from a different US state or Canadian province. I'd also like to
include associated territories (DC, USVI, Puerto Rico, Guam, American Samoa, etc
for the US; Yukon, NWT, Nunavut for Canada).

Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers, dr.wave
August 18, 2021 01:24AM
Here is a quick attempt.

https://project-gc.com/Challenges/GC9F8F4/62684

21 Caches in 21 years in 21 different areas. The Canadian territories were already in the old version. I think I got all the US territories as several are separate countries in geocaching speak.
August 18, 2021 02:10AM
Thank you sloth96 ! Any chance of a quick modification to 22 caches in 22 years in 22 different areas (covering 2000-2021) ?

Also, I tried the checker on my own finds, and it misses some. Three times it found 19 caches; twice 18 and twice 20.
I actually have all 21. There was no consistency about which cache years it misses, but the clock seemed to always
stop after 25 sec. Could it be a timeout problem ?

Many thanks.
August 18, 2021 03:22AM
Howdy,

I reset the checker for 22 and it does timeout for you. The earlier link still works.

An update of that script with a longer time out is here.

https://project-gc.com/Challenges/GC9F8F4/62686

It still times out for you.
August 18, 2021 04:50AM
Howdy,

I reviewed the source code and noticed that visit date and cache name was going through the checker engine. Taking out those fields sped things up significantly for you. The output is more terse.

The runtime speedup is significant.

The original checker should be fine for you now.
August 18, 2021 05:20PM
Looks great. Many thanks sloth96.

Cheers, Dr.Wave
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login