Advanced

Re: Change to checker for GC9F433 (Oldest caches in 10 U.S. States)

[Resolved] Change to checker for GC9F433 (Oldest caches in 10 U.S. States)
August 27, 2021 02:30AM
Can an exception be made for the oldest cache in Ohio to be:
https://coord.info/GC2DBE (ancient lake) OR https://coord.info/GC31A (Shawnee Lookout). either one. Reason for this is as explained below. I would also like to know what the checker uses to determine oldest. Is it hidden date first, and then in the event of a tie then the oldest GC code from that date?

I think a good way to do this would be to have an exception list in the checker, and for regions in the exception list, it would allow for either of the two oldest in the region.

--- reason for the requested change ---- many people have found both assuming it to be the oldest.

Contested oldest Geocache in Ohio?
Something to consider!
The following is an explanation as to why this cache is the oldest active cache in Ohio.

When "NovaNikki" was hidden on 03/04/2001, Geocaching.com assigned it the 1007th GC Code of GC3EF. A cache called "ancient lake" currently displays that it was hidden on 01/23/2001, which would make it the oldest active geocache in Ohio. However, it was actually the 11,710th created GC Code of GC2DBE by Chuck Fackleman and Mark Robinette and later adopted by "swampy ranger". Therefore the "ancient lake" cache page was created 10,703 caches later than the "NovaNikki" cache page. Accordingly, we feel the hidden date for "ancient lake" should actually be 12/23/2001 not 01/23/2001.

Further evidence to substantiate the error is based on the fact that another cache was created immediately before it by Mark Robinette (one of the same cachers) on 12/23/2001 called, "glacial trailing" which was the 11,709th created GC Code of GC2DBD. This cache was also adopted by "swampy ranger". Since GC Codes are assigned sequentially, "ancient lake" was actually created after "glacial trailing".

Additionally, the oldest log for "ancient lake" is dated 01/06/2002.

Since both caches are dated the 23rd of the month, we surmise that this obvious date error may have simply been caused by accidentally selecting the wrong month when the page was created.

Therefore in all probability, "NovaNikki" is currently the 3rd oldest active geocache in Ohio, and the oldest in NW Ohio. If this assumption is correct, then that makes the oldest active cache in Ohio (which it currently claims to be already on its cache page), "Shawnee Lookout Cache", hidden on 02/18/2001, and assigned the 794th GC Code of GC31A. Clearly much older than "ancient lake".

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/27/2021 03:41PM by DrPflug. (view changes)
August 27, 2021 06:13PM
I will email the scriptwriter, though I’m not sure this would work. At the end of the day, while I agree with you, this is still speculation. Information needs to come from geocaching.com and this information states GC2DBE is older.
August 27, 2021 07:30PM
Actually, HQ did agree that Shawnee Lookout is Older (it clearly is) and did change the hidden date of Ancient Lake. But a lot of complaints ensured because it messed up a bunch of folks Jasmers, so they changed it back. Yes, please see what the scriptwriter says. If he's not agreeable, I could copy the script and come up with the variation I want/need. I know my reviewer Vertighost will be OK with it because he's the one giving me the info on what happened here in Ohio with Ancient Lake. And he and I are in agreement that folks finding Shawnee Lookout in Ohio should be given credit for finding the oldest in Ohio.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/27/2021 07:38PM by DrPflug. (view changes)
August 27, 2021 09:07PM
"Can an exception be made for the oldest cache"

When this script was made, the volunteer reviewer was very careful that there is no “list” in the selection of caches. Elements under the cache owner’s primary control is not acceptable.

Modified copy of the script is the best solution for this kind of special case.
August 27, 2021 10:28PM
I do not want a list. what I'd like is for any region in the exception list, either the oldest or second oldest can satisfy the requirements. Can the script be changed to do that?
August 31, 2021 03:40PM
has the scriptwriter replied yet about the technical feasibility of my request?
August 31, 2021 05:33PM
DrPflug Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I could copy the script and come up with the variation I want/need.

> has the scriptwriter replied yet about the
> technical feasibility of my request?

As the author of the script I recommended to use a modified copy of the script as you suggested. I think that there is no general use for this kind of feature. A custom version is the safest way to tweak the output.

I think that an exclusion list is the right way in this case.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/31/2021 05:36PM by arisoft. (view changes)
August 31, 2021 07:38PM
Can you advise me on how to test the modified code I will want to try out? Is there maybe a PGC server you can upload the LUA code to test?
August 31, 2021 07:46PM
DrPflug Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Can you advise me on how to test the modified code
> I will want to try out? Is there maybe a PGC
> server you can upload the LUA code to test?

Check this https://project-gc.com/Home/FAQ#2616943827
September 29, 2021 03:17PM
What is the situation with this request, can it be moved to ARCHIVE Checker requests
September 29, 2021 03:19PM
Yes, you can archive it. I have made the minor modification needed.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login