Advanced

Re: New Challenge Checker for GC9WAER

[Resolved] New Challenge Checker for GC9WAER
July 12, 2022 10:54PM
My name is Catherine and my caching name is green_words. I am a Premium member.

I was looking at the challenge checker for GC4JA5V (the associated cache has been archived) and requested a clone for my cache GC9WAER. I did this around July 4th, but have heard nothing back.

Can you confirm that this work is in process or will commence soon? I did a search today and did not find it.

I'm guessing that you will send me links to the checker so I can add them to my cache page before it is submitted for review.

Thanks
July 13, 2022 01:17AM
Time-limited caching is no longer allowed as challenge conditions under guideline 9:
Not acceptable
Time-limited caching: as in some number of finds per day, week, month, or year. Examples: Busy Day, 50 finds in a day, 500 finds in a month, etc.

GC4JA5V was from before these new guidelines came in.
July 13, 2022 01:36AM
So I cannot have 2 cache finds in 2 different countries in 1 day?
July 13, 2022 01:45AM
No, you can't require any more than 1 find in a day. I made the words "guideline 9" in my previous post a link to the guidelines, please read through them.
July 13, 2022 02:20AM
Then I guess I'll have to come up with a different challenge.

I have a question: how do I verify that I met a challenge if a checker does not exist yet? Say for example how do I confirm that I have more than 200 finds north of N 49 and more than 200 finds south of N 49?

Thanks for your assistance
Catherine
July 13, 2022 03:41AM
Older challenges didn't require a checker. However a lot of them had checkers made. Go to Tools->Challenge checkers and search for the GC code to see if there is one.

If not, several of the tools on Project-GC can help. One way you could check for latitude-based challenges would be to use Map Compare with the centre/radius filter added, using north/south pole as the centre and calculating the radius. E.g., https://project-gc.com/Tools/MapCompare?profile_name=green_words&onefound=on&location=N+89%C2%B0+59.999+E+149%C2%B0+02.207&max_distance=4555&submit=Filter
July 13, 2022 06:09AM
I realized that all of the cache find I have in Ontario are south of N 49 and that's more than 1000. I also have more than 1000 in British Columbia.

So I'd like a checker that determines how many cache finds the user has north of N 49 and how many they have south of N 49, no matter matter the longitude. And if they have more than 1000 of each, then they meet the challenge.

How's that? How long would that take to write?
Thanks again.
July 13, 2022 06:42AM
Oh, sorry. I thought the 49N thing was related to a different challenge cache. Lines of latitude are not allowed under guideline 10:
Not acceptable
Challenges based on geographic areas other than countries, states/provinces, counties (or their local equivalent). Examples: user-defined mapping polygons, latitude/longitude, radius, etc.
July 13, 2022 10:42PM
Thanks for bearing with me. It's my first challenge.

So I'm thinking of the following challenge.

Cachers needs to find at least:
1. 1 cache in one of the provinces or territories in Canada
2. 2 caches in another of the provinces or territories in Canada
3. 4 caches in another of the provinces or territories in Canada
4. 8 caches in another of the provinces or territories in Canada
5. 16 caches in another of the provinces or territories in Canada
6. 32 caches in another of the provinces or territories in Canada
7. 64 caches in another of the provinces or territories in Canada

For example I have:
1 cache in Quebec
2 caches in Alberta
4 caches in New Brunswick (actually I have more)
8 caches in Prince Edward Island (actually I have more)
16 caches in Nova Scotia
32 caches in Ontario (actually I have more)
64 caches in British Columbia (actually I have more)
(my example could swap the last two lines)

What do you think about this? How long would this take to write up?
Catherine
July 14, 2022 06:36AM
July 14, 2022 07:08AM
It worked for me. Thanks so much.

But when I tried it for Wet_Coaster (my husband) there was a message 'caught exception'
and the error log was

[string ""]:433: bad argument #1 to 'tonumber' (value expected).

It should have worked for him.

I tried it for dora_mor (a friend), and it worked for her.

I tried it for brilang and LANMonkey (other friends), and got the same error as Wet_Coaster.
July 14, 2022 07:18AM
Okay, going to have to do some more debugging...
July 15, 2022 03:16AM
The bug was that if they had more regions than necessary it was failing to pull the next number from the list (because it didn't have another number). I've added a default value for additional non-zero regions of 1.
July 15, 2022 04:47AM
An exception still with users brilang, 3Hams&aRose, Keats94, sweet-marie, buggirl1975, 1in7, Adroit Seeker, geoBirder

These are all cachers I know from this area.
July 15, 2022 10:52AM
Here is a checker with a script which I normally use https://project-gc.com/Challenges/GC9WAER/70091

Please test and reply
July 15, 2022 06:57PM
Yes, that worked for all of the cachers I tested. The ones that failed above do not meet the challenge. I was actually how many cachers I know who do not meet the challenge. Thought for the last 2 years there hasn't been a lot of travelling.

Let me known when I can put this link into my cache page. Is there anything else I need to add?

Thanks so much for all of your assistance.
Catherine
July 16, 2022 01:52PM
Use this procedure
1. Open the link as provided
2. Click on in the "link" button on the right
3. Copy the code for the third option and paste it into your cache description
(You might need to first click on the green button above the description to put it in the right mode.)
4. Save & preview and submit for publication once you're happy with it.

If you don't see the usual challenge check icon you might need to click the Source button above the cache description box before you paste the code.
July 16, 2022 07:59PM
Thanks again. Can you add the title for the cache in the title of checker? It's currently missing.
The title is 'Doubling Finds Across Canada Challenge'.

Catherine
July 16, 2022 09:02PM
Project-GC doesn't have access to unpublished caches hence the "?" you see there now. As soon as your challenge cache is published (or within a reasonable time thereafter), your cache name (and country where it resides) will be shown there
July 17, 2022 12:34AM
Ok. Understood. Thanks for all your help.
July 17, 2022 10:21AM
@ sumbloke - query resolved , can you remove checker 70070
July 17, 2022 10:38AM
I've disabled it. I'll leave it there for the moment so I can do some more debugging.
July 17, 2022 10:44AM
Thanks, P...
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login