Advanced

Re: Questionable challenges

Questionable challenges
October 17, 2019 01:56PM
While reviewing challenges I came a cross these two
I appreciate most wouldn't argue that the content of the caches include criteria that would classify them as challenges - however I did wonder how they even got published as I considered these fail the attainability test as per the guidelines from HQ

GC8E4HN - requires you to attain 100,000 fav points with just 20 caches.
Note this is an average of 5000 fav points per cache - now only 9 caches in the world have more than 5000 points - and have done some research and maths and it would seem that this challenge can only be achieved using only 35 caches worldwide and if you don't include the top two most favourited this narrows down to only 20 caches which makes this challenge very prescriptive and certainly not 'easily attainable' - you are almost being told which caches you have to find in order to qualify as there are so few to choose from
I also noted the CO did not request a checker for this specific cache but cloned an older one.

GC8E0DA - requires you to have found 14 icons - easily attainable, hardly !!
I am aware that many icon challenges over 10 required have been refused - so how did this get published
Again the checker was cloned from one first created back in 2014 - so again a checker was not requested as required

So my question is would PGC have allowed a checker to be created based on the criteria of each of these challenges

Am I alone in thinking these should not have been published due to them not meeting the 'easily attainable' guidelines

Thanks
October 17, 2019 10:11PM
GC8E4HN is a German cache and has enough qualifiers to get published. In general the CO has to name 10 local cachers who qualify and there are

GC8E0DA is a different subject . Normally 11 different cache types are approved by the reviewers and in a few cases 12 are accepted.
October 17, 2019 10:36PM
GC8E4HN is a German cache and has enough qualifiers to get published. In general the CO has to name 10 local cachers who qualify and there are

I am aware where the cache is located - what difference does that make ?
Many challenges caches get a checker created and there are 10 or more qualifiers - but still dont get published due to the attainability issue. This cache did not use a checker created by PGC on request

I am aware of 2 other challenges where 100,000 favourite points are the criteria - however they are a total of ALL your cache finds - much easier. This one requires it from just 20 caches. Research how hard that is and how easily attainable it is (or not) - and then apply that to the HQ guidelines regarding attainability

The question initially was "would PGC have created a checker based on the criteria and the attainability" ? as it didn't create one for this particular cache - they used a cloned one

GC8E0DA is a different subject . Normally 11 different cache types are approved by the reviewers and in a few cases 12 are accepted.
For information 11 generally are not accepted by reviewers - I had one refused that had 11 icons - the matter was put to appeal and 10 was accepted - however I was made aware that HQ in the appeal process advised the reviewer to drop it to 9 - the reviewer argued my corner and got them to agree to 10 .

I do not believe any published challenge post moratorium has required 12 icons

However the question again "would PGC have created a checker based on the criteria and the attainability" ?

PGC is usually a one stop shop when it comes to cachers assessing whether their challenge would be acceptable under the guidelines and this is most often established at the 'request a checker' stage
Neither of these requested a checker and so PGC would not have considered the criteria and assessed these challenges
October 17, 2019 10:54PM
GC8E4HN is created by Pieterix so created by PGC

On the icons
Here are some examples
C8C0FR - Spice of Life Challenge (13 icons)
GC89Y32 - The 12 Different Icon Challenge
GC88JTC - a variety pack awf 16 unique icons challenge
GC7Y67M - Challenge: 11 types of cache
GC7WQW5 - 11 different cache types [CHALLENGE]
GC7W8KR - 12 Cache Types Challenge
GC7DYMV - DGS Europa Hast du 11 Cache Typen?(ChallengeCache)
GC7T20N - 5- Le challenge des 11 types de caches
GC7TR9Z - Eleven Different Cache Type Finds Challenge
GC7N3G8 - 11 Cache Types Challenge!!!
GC7QGA1 - Geocaching Recovery - A 12 Step Challenge
GC7KTFV - "The Dirt" Challenge Geo-Art 011
GC7GWPQ - CHIO #07 NG: Der Allescacher (Challenge) (14 icons

and there are many more published,
October 17, 2019 11:02PM
OK
Wow - then I guess you have to have a reviewer that doesn't read the guidelines to allow your challenge to get published then - because I know very well that HQ would not allow any of these

OK thank you

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/17/2019 11:03PM by Deepdiggingmole. (view changes)
Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.