Advanced

Slack?

Slack?
January 11, 2018 02:43PM
Is there anyone here running Slack? (https://slack.com/)

I have a Slack running, but don't use it much. I am considering if it could be a better support channel/forum for some of the more hardcore users of Project-GC. The idea pretty much came up after writing 50 posts on the forum with arisoft today. Chatting via a forum isn't always the most effective.

Here is a temporary (30 day) invite link as a test if anyone is interested.
https://join.slack.com/t/project-gc/shared_invite/enQtMjk3Mzk3Mjk3OTM4LWI2MjhiZDBmZTQzNGViNjI2YzlhZWJmYzdkYTQ4ZTFkMTE0MjlmNjY2NDZmMmNjYjlmNGFjMmI2NTY1NjM1N2E

By using it you will end up in the #general channel. I don't remember much of how Slack works, but if anyone starts using it I will create new proper channels (#support and #lua-development).
Re: Slack?
January 13, 2018 03:53AM
The only messaging system I am currently using is the Message Center at gc.com. Some other developers seems to use it also. To make it useful you have to change the default e-mail scheduling to send e-mails immediatelly - not after long delay which is the reason why so many refuses to use it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/13/2018 03:55AM by arisoft. (view changes)
January 22, 2018 04:40AM
Worth a try. I connected to your link and created a personal account. I use Slack a bit at work, but its not a primary communication method.
January 22, 2018 06:46AM
The only messaging system I am currently using is the Message Center at gc.com. This is working fine and gives notification emails when there is a message.
January 22, 2018 10:22AM
vogelbird Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The only messaging system I am currently using is
> the Message Center at gc.com. This is working fine
> and gives notification emails when there is a
> message.

Slack is more like a group chat for businesses. At least if I would describe it. Gives the option to handle different channels with different permissions and so forth. Allows interacting with the chat-service using APIs, and the same slack-account can be used to connect with channels in different companies.

I wouldn't say that I think it's awesome myself, neither the solution to all chat problems. In fact, the biggest problem is that there is an endless of different variants. This forces me to run ~5 different clients to be able to keep in contact with all those I connect with. That's pretty frustrating. :)
January 23, 2018 04:19AM
The more I think about it, the more I think your attention is better served elsewhere :)
January 23, 2018 02:02PM
It's a bit of both. But in a way you are correct, there already are plenty of channels.

But for some purposes a more chat-like experience could lead to faster results. It could also be a way for others related to the site to connect with each other. But I didn't really expect it to end up with anything to be honest. It was a thought that I threw out here.
January 26, 2018 09:38AM
humm... yes I see your point.

The fourms are OK, but seem somehow 1990s, eh?

for example I replied two days late to your comment.

I do not know if this is a symptom of the technology or of the community.

Which comes first?? technology or community?

I have no answers for you, but understand the delemia.
February 13, 2018 03:15PM
I have used Slack in my previous job as main communication channel and have to admit I love it soooo much.. But there is a need to use it on regular basis because it gets obsolete really fast, when used only occasionaly. It absolutely worth a try to migrate communication to that tool (or something similiar like Mattermost - opensource alternative you can run on your own), but it requires hard switch to that channel instead of running two independent methods for communication. It causes a lot of problems when trying to gather all required information.
Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.