Advanced

Re: Souvenir grouping

Souvenir grouping
February 16, 2017 09:21PM
I am looking into a semi-official way of grouping Souvenirs. Unofficial in the way that it's not Geocaching HQ that will group them. Official in the way that Project-GC will handle it (or Pinkunicorn most likely will do the work to be more exact).

He already does this by updating a checker script. I would like the information stored in Project-GC instead, and include the group name when asking for a user's Souvenirs.

The categories that are used today are:
  • Countries
  • Regions/states
  • Unique events - Souvenirs you receive when attending a mega/giga.
  • Event related - Souvenirs you receive by attending an event at specific dates specified by Geocaching HQ. CITO weekend for example.
  • Specific days - Souvenirs you receive for logging something on a specific date. For example on leap day or the 11-11-11.
  • Others - Anything that doesn't fit the other categories.

This far the idea is that one souvenir can only belong to one group.

Anyone having any input on the list? Any known Challenges requiring some other grouping? Suggestions?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/16/2017 09:27PM by ganja1447. (view changes)
February 16, 2017 09:38PM
There was twice already the query whether the 31 souvernirs of august 2013 could be a total score of only 2 for the whole 31 days
February 16, 2017 09:41PM
vogelbird Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> There was twice already the query whether the 31
> souvernirs of august 2013 could be a total score
> of only 2 for the whole 31 days

I don't understand
February 16, 2017 09:42PM
My 2c would be that they are souvenirs and should be default count as such. If a specific challenge wants to count them only as two (I suppose you mean "the IGCD one" and "one or more of all the other ones" ) that's for that challenge owner to decide. If that happens, someone (me, probably) needs to adapt the souvenir checker to handle that case as well. I don't think they should *always* count as just two.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/16/2017 09:43PM by pinkunicorn. (view changes)
February 16, 2017 09:47PM
Now I get it, and I agree with Pinkunicorn. That's a specific case which should then be handled by a checker script.

I missed to say why we want to move the grouping inside Project-GC.
1) Easier interface for making changes (hopefully).
2) Can be used in Profile stats as well.
3) In the future we could have a couple of moderators handling it instead of one guy. Community driven.
February 16, 2017 09:47PM
Yes, most times they all count and sometimes a cache owner wants only 1 count for the series and 1 count for the ICCD
February 16, 2017 09:49PM
I haven't seen such a challenge but if you point me to one (preferrably via mail to by geocaching account) I'll look into adding support for that.
February 16, 2017 09:54PM
February 16, 2017 10:02PM
As I understand it, these challenges have already been done with this condition not part of the rules. I'm not very good at following the forum, unfortunately, otherwise I could have made changes for that. I'll try to see if it pops up again.
February 16, 2017 10:03PM
Ok I let you know if the request come again
June 05, 2017 12:52PM
I have gotten a request to filter souvenirs to only location based ones. In particular country only.
June 05, 2017 10:26PM
There's a category in the checker for country souvenirs so that should be easy.
June 05, 2017 10:31PM
June 05, 2017 10:33PM
Thanks. I missed that.
Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.