Advanced

Re: With challenges finally coming back, how/where do I apply to be a checker script writer?

I realize that the moratorium isn't lifted yet, but I want to get up and running for when it is.
Hi jjfeiler,

This is answered in the FAQ: http://project-gc.com/Home/FAQ#3082063764

FAQ
Who can write challenge checkers?

Technically, anyone with some programming experience. The programming language used for checker scripts is Lua. But if you know some other programming language it is easy to grasp the differences. However, in order to obtain access to writing challenge checkers, you need to apply for access.

How do I apply for access to write challenge checker scripts?

Currently we are not accepting new script writers. At earliest, we will begin accepting requests Geocaching HQ ends its challenge cache moratorium. It will most likely happen a few weeks after the moratorium ends.

If new challenge checker script writers aren't accepted, how do we create checkers?

We have already had our challenge checker system running for 1.5 years (since October 2014). With that, we also have a pool of volunteer script writers.
I read the FAQ before I posted -- let me rephrase the question. Where *will* I apply to be a script writer *when* the moratorium is lifted.
Write to Project-GC support to request those permissions.
It will be done at Project-GC. The FAQ will be updated, but I also hope that it will be obvious where and how it's done once we get that far.

Expect it to take a few weeks after the moratorium is lifted before we are ready to accept new script writers. Meanwhile one has to rely on those already having access.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login