Advanced

When Regions (States) are renamed

When Regions (States) are renamed
October 12, 2018 11:00AM
Hi,

time-to-time, Geocaching.com comes with changes in their database - renaming of countries and regions. Last time they did it was July 2nd - release note.

Trouble is, that country names as well as region names are used in challenge checker tags and their attributes, often like fixed strings. I wonder if automated script could be implemented here, that will run through all the tags and perform appropriate renaming job.

So far, I'm doing these fixes manually, relying on geocachers to tell me that something is wrong.
Example: https://coord.info/GLX7YT5Q

Thank you very much for looking into this.
Rikitan
Re: When Regions (States) are renamed
October 12, 2018 11:20AM
One such renaming thread and why it can't be done automatically: HERE.
October 12, 2018 11:27AM
There is only status what is changing, nothing about automation .. but I think Magnus had already thought about it long ago. And if it is not implemented now, most likely it is not possible to implement. So, nevermind.
October 15, 2018 06:28AM
I think my response to that thread was why it can't be done automatically. In that case, my tag was flagged because "Bern" was an old region name. But my tag was for California and had used "San Bernadino" in its configuration. If the region name was updated automatically, my tag would no longer function correctly.
October 15, 2018 10:31AM
Oh, well .. I think script can be comparing old region names as full string in quotes, not any substring with the region name. That should not be complicated. Complication would be if there are more regions in the world with the same name (it is fairly possible).
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login