Advanced

Re: New Found It log checker in extension

New Found It log checker in extension
November 14, 2018 07:14AM
The new "feature" of the Project-GC browser extension that shows possibly invalid Challenge Found It logs bears discussion. It shows users with a Found It on a challenge that might not meet the requirements of the challenge.

I was looking at the Well Rounded Cacher Original Fizzy Challenge
https://www.geocaching.com/geocache/GC11E8N_well-rounded-cacher-the-fizzy-challenge
and saw a number of cachers listed as not qualified. I investigated a few of them and in two cases, the user did qualify and then the CO changed the D or T value later causing their qualification to become invalid. I found one legitimate non-qualified user but did not look through all of them. For some of them there is not enough information to tell what their qualifying caches were.

This feature seems to be a quick way for a CO to detect invalid qualifications which is convenient. I think there should be some sort of limit on the lookback of maybe 1-2 months because valid qualifications can erode over time. The CO can always check older ones than that manually. Perhaps, the list should only be shown to the CO rather than the entire community.
Re: New Found It log checker in extension
November 20, 2018 10:44AM
An interesting addition to the site - and a very useful tool
I can see the reason behind why that it should be for CO viewing only - however my experience of COs checking challenges are that a high percentage dont.
I have come across many logs where it is evident the cacher has not qualified, and yet the CO has not done anything about it - I have even found on occasions when the issue is raised with the CO they acknowledge your comment (if you are lucky) but still do not delete the logs
So to have this available for all may serve a useful purpose as I think this tool will only get used by a handful of COs
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login