Advanced

Souvenir Challenges

Souvenir Challenges
March 27, 2019 04:25AM
I would like to know what kind of info on souvenirs can be used in challenge checkers. Souvenirs seem to be of rising importance to the HQ but existing challenges seem to be exclusively about the total amount. What about time of acquisition (maybe for a monthly streak challenge), name of the souvenir (spelling challenge?) or type of souvenir (there are six categories, aren't there? - so can you check for a specific amount in each category?)?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/27/2019 08:26AM by St.Jocosa. (view changes)
Re: Souvenir Challenges
March 27, 2019 11:34PM
Unfortunately, I think you're out of luck until Groundspeak put out new guidelines specific to souvenirs.

Time of acquisition would be unlikely to be allowed, given guideline 9 disallows most time-limited challenges. Especially given most cachers would have no control over whether there would be a souvenir available for them to continue a streak without a lot of travel.

Names of souvenirs I'm not sure on. Names of caches are specifically disallowed, but there are no guidelines specific to souvenirs. That said, guideline 10 does seem to imply that it wouldn't be considered acceptable.

The categories for souvenirs are a Project-GC feature. Geocaching.com doesn't seem to categorise them and guideline 10 states "Challenge cache criteria must come from information broadly available on Geocaching.com and must be verifiable through information on Geocaching.com."
March 28, 2019 05:07PM
Thank you for your input! The third option is clearly done by that. I have not thou about that!

As for the other two... I see some loopholes there. I think I might persuade my local reviewer to give it a go.

But there is still the issue with the checker. Can it be done with the current API?
March 29, 2019 01:29AM
Yes, the first two would be possible with the current API. The fields returned for souvenirs are:
date_discovered, souvenir_guid, image_path, thumb_path, title
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login