Advanced

Re: Inconsistency

Inconsistency
September 19, 2019 11:30PM
It has come to my attention that there seems to be some inconsistency with checkers put out where the criteria involves finding caches in different continents
I am aware this issue was raised sometime last year when some clarification was required as to why the Canary Islands came under Africa (and not Europe as they are Spanish territory) and Cyprus coming under Asia even though it too is Europe.
The answer back then was that PGC now referred to the New World Encyclopedia and the positioning of countries in certain continents was mainly due to their geographical position and that can be seen with the above two examples.
It was as a result that when checkers were created Cyprus was under Asia - The Canaries under Africa.
Various Challenges were created with these located as such.
However two recent challenges both continent themed and have been noted as having lists of countries under continent headings and Cyprus is under Europe. The Canaries not listed (as presumably they come under Spain - so Europe)
When the checkers have been tested it seems that both these are true that these two come under Europe.
So what happened to the guidelines that Cyprus = Asia and The Canaries = Africa
Has there been a change of mind. Is there a new list that PGC now work from ?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/20/2019 11:36AM by Deepdiggingmole. (view changes)
September 22, 2019 01:05PM
Does no one know the answer to this ??
October 18, 2019 10:45PM
Would you give links to the challenges you mentioned. As fa as I remember, continents are not allowed criteria but a list of countries is.
October 20, 2019 01:13PM
That may have answered the query
I recall sometime ago an issue regarding The Canaries being counted in 'Africa' rather than Europe (they are Spanish territory) - the answer given then was that it was based on geography rather than political and the New World Encyclopedia was the basis for the checkers.
However if as you say continents are not allowed criteria but a list of countries is then this would account for the discrepancies.
It will mean that some challenges (mainly the difference between older and newer ones) that are similar in nature will have different source base and thus use different checkers
for example :-
GC5HBMD - states you have to find caches in 4 different continents - no list, but checker says Canaries are in Africa
GC8DKJ8 - states you have to find caches in 4 different continents - but lists the countries, Canaries not mentioned as now counted as part of Spain thus in Europe
Essentially the same challenge except number of caches are different
October 23, 2019 11:41PM
Arisoft is right, continents as such is not acceptable criteria, but if cache owner defines sets of countries - such workaround is fine. And then it is up to challenge cache owner how he decides where each country belongs to.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login