Advanced

Re: Please, block cloning of tags on non-complying checkers

Please, block cloning of tags on non-complying checkers
November 20, 2019 12:07AM
This is one of the pain-points from reviewer perspective:
Players often search for cool challenges, cloning the old tags without knowledge of V2 guidelines after moratorium. It would be helpful to block cloning of the tags on those V1 scripts.
If you have better idea, please, let me know.
November 20, 2019 12:20PM
This would be much appreciated from the reviewer community!

Having no idea how hard/easy this is to set up from Project-GCs perspective so this might be something that is not needed, but if it is hard because it can not be done automatically in an easy way I would suggest something like the voting system for the list of challenge checker exceptions and giving all the reviewers voting access in that system.
December 03, 2019 10:47PM
To be effective, the system should prevent cloning only tags which are against current rules. Many old challenges are still possible.

So, you are actually requesting a blacklist of tags (= GC-codes) not allowed to clone. If such a list exists it should be easy to implement, I think.
December 04, 2019 12:00AM
Blacklist of tags (GC codes) would be very very long. If possible, I don't mind, but that's not what I'm asking for.

I'm asking for option for the scriptwriter (author of the script) to disable tagging and/or cloning the tags on his script. Example - I'm author of several scripts and I don't want random people to clone individual tags, because they are not complying v2 guidelines. Such users are only creating unnecessary workload for themselves and for other people - because they are enabled to do so.
December 04, 2019 09:44AM
In theory, it is possible to clone some old tag to another old challenge without breaking V2 rules.

It could be possible to limit cloning between different rules. If the cloned tag is made for V1 cache it is allowed to clone only to V1 caches. If the tag is made for V2 cache there is no limits.

In practice, almost every script which is compatible with V2 rules has already been used for V2 challenges so there should be no problems to find a suitable one.

At least, the cloning tool could warn before V1 tag is cloned to V2 cache. This could be made without side effects and no database is required.
December 04, 2019 10:16AM
It goes further than that. There's V2a (Jan 2019) and V2b (Nov 2019) to deal with too. So those dates will have to be taken into account too.
December 06, 2019 07:08PM
I agree with arisoft's suggestion to simply display a warning.

Determining whether a challenge is V1/V2 compatible automatically is pretty much impossible. I also think not allowing cloning on scripts is the way to go since many scripts can produce tags that may or may not be allowed with V2 (e.g. general regex checkers or muli-test checkers). Plus, as ari already mentioned, people might want to tag/clone to create a checker for grandfathered challenges.

I don't think distinguishing between V2a and V2b is really necessary as the rules didn't change too much. In the end I imagine most challenge requests that reviewers have to decline are challenges based on time-limited criteria, owner/cache names and areas that are not CRC. I wouldn't think there are too many cloned tags that get declined because of the Jan/Nov'19 changes. Ultimately, the goal should not be a perfect system but one that is simple but yet reduces unnecessary workload for reviewers.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/11/2019 11:58PM by PattuX. (view changes)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login