Advanced

Re: Suddenly I have no caches in Lyon County, NV

Suddenly I have no caches in Lyon County, NV
September 01, 2021 09:27PM
Hello there,

I blacked out the counties in Nevada a few years ago, but I noticed a new challenge outside Taft, CA where one has to get all the counties in Nevada. Imagine my surprise when the checker returned a negative result. I then noticed that Lyon County, NV was not shaded on my Project-GC map.

Here's the challenge: GC9F1GE - BCS: Nevada Counties Challenge
And the checker:https://project-gc.com/Challenges/GC9F1GE/62568

Here are two caches that are located within the boundaries of Lyon County and previously were recognized by Project-GC.
---- GC2KBH9 - State Souvenir Challenge (Northern NV)
---- GC2DN5Z - Watch out for slivers

Can you either (1) Correct the map polygons to again include these caches, or (2) explain to me why these are no longer includable?

Thank you,
GoldenStateBoy
September 02, 2021 01:06AM
Those two appear to be currently mapped to Washoe County. Zooming in on the Map Counties map around there I can see the county border showing in a location where they should be in Lyon County. Looks like the map data used is wrong. You might want to message magma1447 if he doesn't respond to this conversation soon.
September 02, 2021 01:22AM
Thank you! I didn't know where to go with this issue, and figured that if I started here I would get direction. Can you share with me how I message magma1447 directly?
September 02, 2021 01:30AM
I would go through Geocaching messaging centre. You can put the username you want to message.
September 02, 2021 02:00AM
Thanks! I'll wait a day or two and then message them.
September 04, 2021 12:01AM
I suggest taking this conversation to Discord since that is the recommended channel for the polygon update discussion: https://discord.gg/4xCGTcAFdk

I also recommend to use the support button at Project-GC if you have these kinds of issues, not to write to magma1447 on his player account at Geocaching.com. Since he has that in bold red in the top of his profile and all...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/04/2021 12:15AM by Pleu. (view changes)
September 04, 2021 12:52AM
Thanks... I guess. I just want to get the polygons corrected back to where they were before, where these caches are shown as in Lyon County as they should be. I don't really want to install some third party gamer chat application. Is there somewhere that is actually on Project-GC that I can take this?

Respectfully,
GoldenStateBoy
September 04, 2021 01:03AM
As I said, you could use the orange support button on Project-GC if you need to come in contact with support. That's the correct way to do it.

You don't need to download Discord to use it though, you can use it in browser. It's also not a "gamer chat application" but that's a bit off topic I guess.

Project-GC will not change back to the old data but the new data is actually possible to update if it's incorrect, and you can even help update it on your own. Info about how the process works is in the wiki. https://project-gc.com/w/GIS_data
September 04, 2021 01:17AM
Thank you again.

After following your link to Discord from my computer it insisted that I provide my phone number so they can text me a code. When they wanted my email so they can email me a code, I thought I'd look it up. Two different sources (WSJ was one) described it as an online communication platform used by about 250 million persons, primarily for online gaming chat purposes. "If your son/daughter plays online games, chances are they are already using Discord or soon will be."

When they didn't accept my text code, wanted an email address, then wanted me to provide a password that I never set up, I was well done with them.

I'll find the orange support button and submit it that way. I don't have the capacity or no-how to get involved with modifying the polygon data, and when the "old" data was correct I don't know why it was replaced with "new" incorrect data.

Thank you for steering me to a possible correction site.

GSB
September 04, 2021 01:33AM
Even if the data is wrong in your case it's much better in other cases, but the main benefit is that it can actually be updated in a smoother way so errors can be corrected which should benefit all. If you found an error in the old data, the odds is that the only answer Project-GC could give was along the lines of ”sorry, nothing we can do about that because the error is in the data.”. :) So better updating possibilities and fewer licenses was the reason for the update, you can read more about it in the news-section: https://project-gc.com/Home/News
September 04, 2021 01:36AM
Thank you.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login