Advanced

Re: User setting "statistic private"

User setting "statistic private"
December 21, 2022 06:17PM
Some users set the visibility of their statistics to "private". That is ok and I want to respect this in my checkers. Normally I show the related matrix for help to close the gaps to fulfill the condition. But in case of "private"-setting the user doesn't want such public view - everybody could use the checker it to see something about the founds of him.
How can I get a flag of user-controlled privacy to suppress the detailed output? I could't find a function to read user options.
December 22, 2022 04:19PM
Is this really something people would want? This would mean CO can't validate your qualifications in the checker and you would have to prove your qualifications in the log. Even doing so CO might delete the log when they can't confirm with the checker.
December 22, 2022 05:16PM
Of course the checker generate the output "fulfilled" or "not fulfilled". So the CO and everybody can check the result everytime.
But additional some checkers show additional information: fulfillment matrixes with gaps, if they exist. It is very helpful, but could be a problem for people who disabled public view of their statistic (policy of data protection).
So I wouldn't show the additional help-matrix for usernames who set the private mode for statistic.
December 23, 2022 03:28AM
Even if they set their privacy settings on PGC to be private, the data is still all public on geocaching.com. You can go to any geocache page, and find a user's log. PGC just scrapes all that information and compiles it into a nice database. Also, since many other scripts exist that don't do this, it's easy for somebody trying to get information about a user to just run a script that doesn't take this into account. (And, there's no way to read a user's privacy mode setting... ... that would be an invasion of privacy!! :))
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login