To be able to write in the forum you need to authenticate. Meanwhile it's read-only.

[Cancelled] A challenge based on the NEWS/Oldest tool GC88A97

[Cancelled] A challenge based on the NEWS/Oldest tool GC88A97
May 23, 2019 10:42PM
Hey folks.

I am interested in having a challenge cache that involves the NESW/Oldest tool. I see via some searching that someone was trying to make a challenge like this about a month ago, but they wanted it for a specific county. My challenge idea would be for a cacher to pick any of Ontario's 44 counties to meet the requirement for the challenge. That way they're not required to find a specific small list.

Is it doable?
Re: A challenge based on the NEWS/Oldest tool GC88A97
May 26, 2019 09:23PM
Oof, not even a "nah sorry bud". Did I do something wrong?
May 26, 2019 11:20PM
I'm not sure if a checker can be written for this challenge. Looking into it. However, I think you should check with your reviewer and see if they would be willing to publish the challenge first.
May 27, 2019 03:33PM
I definitely meant to ask my reviewer first and maybe forgot, so thank you for the reminder! I shot him a message last night and he said he'd publish it, said it was a fun idea. He also said, and I quote:

"You know what would be great, is if the results showed you which regions you qualify for. Some people might be inspired to do more than just one or keep doing more to "loop" the challenge. Also if the checker has that built in then it paves the way for 5x counties and 10x counties.

Since I'm being so bold, if the checker could display the results in a grid format, that would be awesome."

Of course, this is all dependent on whether it is possible at all.
May 27, 2019 05:29AM
I believe it's impossible to provide a checker for the NESW portion of this challenge.
May 27, 2019 03:40PM
Really? That's disheartening. I assumed there'd be a way given that the tool can figure it out, but you guys are the experts, not me. Is it a problem of memory usage, or there being no way to have the checker reference the same data the tool does to figure out which caches are at each point?
June 13, 2019 05:38PM
In this case, it would be the latter. There doesn't seem to be a way to access NEWS data in challenge checker scripts. The only way I can see to create the checker would be to hardcode in all.of the required caches for each county. However, maintaing this would not really be feasible.
June 13, 2019 06:55PM
Darn. Well, thanks for looking into it
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login