To be able to write in the forum you need to authenticate. Meanwhile it's read-only.

GC6JH14 Full D/T in Australian Capital Territory

GC6JH14 Full D/T in Australian Capital Territory
May 26, 2016 08:46AM
Hi,

I was hoping to get a new challenge through as I have been sitting on the idea for AGES!

The challenge is to complete your D/T matrix using only caches located in the Australian Capital Territory. Archived caches can count, date found doesn't matter and finds on owned caches do not count.

Thanks so much for this, I use project-gc a ton! I'll put the stats on my profile one day, I need to update those anyway as I am no longer at 1100 finds :)

Cankid

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/26/2016 10:27AM by ganja1447. (view changes)
Re: GC6JH14 Full D/T in Australian Capital Territory
May 26, 2016 09:16AM
Why is logs on owned caches not allowed? are that a problem there? The is legimit cases when you can have logs on own caches. You log event caches as CO and if you adopt a cache you have previous found. The latter case cant be detected by pgc, That information dont exist in the caches. All finds on your 10 adopted caches would not be included

And it is trivial to go around the limitation by creating cahes on a new dummy account.
I dont fill like adding code for checking for checking ownership and types the scipt is complicated enough

You have another problem. You are missing a D1 T4.5 in Australian Capital Territory. That with the adopted included

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/26/2016 10:28AM by Target.. (view changes)
Re: Checker Request for GC6JH14
May 26, 2016 09:28AM
Sorry, don't worry about the no logs on owned caches thing then. I was just concerned about people logging their own caches to qualify but I'll just chuck that in the rules on the page.

There are 3 D1/T4.5 caches in the ACT. GC131CQ, GC131CC (you probably just ignored those as I said not to include adopted caches) and GC5XY6F (which I think is listed as in NSW on PGC but is listed as ACT on GC.com).

Sorry about the inconvenience... I din't mean to make it more complicated...
May 26, 2016 09:33AM
the tag is http://project-gc.com/Challenges/GC6JH14/20731

I have not ingored adopted because they cant be identified.
GC131CQ, GC131CC is the only caches with that DT but you have not found any of them. Or is the logg missing on pgc?

http://project-gc.com/Tools/MapCompare?profile_name=Cankid&country=Australia&region=Australian+Capital+Territory&nonefound=on&onefound=on&bothfound=on&difficulty%5B%5D=1.0&terrain%5B%5D=4.5&showdisabled=on&showarchived=on&submit=Filter

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/26/2016 10:29AM by Target.. (view changes)
May 26, 2016 09:41AM
May 26, 2016 09:45AM
Sorry, one other request. Can the output be a list of qualifying caches? If that is too much work, don't worry about it :)
May 26, 2016 09:52AM
No i will not add that. That would require a total rewrite of the code and the result produce annoying list of alot of caches that are not that usefull.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/26/2016 10:29AM by Target.. (view changes)
May 26, 2016 10:35AM
This script shows a printout of the qualifying caches http://project-gc.com/Challenges//20734
I have not included "region": "Australian Capital Territory" because you don't qualify yet so the printout on your name is not possible
May 26, 2016 09:50AM
Yo will have a problem with that if you send it in for publication. The checker is the definition as ok on the challenge and you have to pass. The question is if the border polygons on pgc are incorrect or the gc.com listing
Unofficially the pgc polygons will be used if they are not updated

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/26/2016 10:30AM by Target.. (view changes)
May 26, 2016 09:58AM
Is there someway I can request to edit the polygon? Here is a map of the cache in relation to the border.

https://www.geocaching.com/map/?ll=-35.488448,149.13876&z=14#?ll=-35.149751,149.164484&z=20

The border is the dotted line to the east of the cache. The green area is inside ACT boundaries and the grey area is NSW. While I do have to pass the checker, I am sure I can explain the situation to the reviewer and have it resolved that way if need be...
May 26, 2016 10:04AM
Do you use google maps there? Their borders are not that good on them. I have found a cache on a State(Län) border on the sign in Sweden and the border on google maps was 12 km from that point

Change to OSM and the cache is on the other side on the border.
I suspect pgc uses osm maps or the source they use "LPI NSW Base Map" that is the official maps? http://www.lpi.nsw.gov.au/mapping_and_imagery/lpi_web_services/access_lpi_web_services

May 26, 2016 10:09AM
Yeah, google maps is the favoured platform here. Would it be possible then to just include a single cache in the checker (so ACT + GC5XY6F)?
May 26, 2016 10:17AM
Dont thrust them they are often incorrect There is a reason pgc dont use them other then the copyright problem.

No that would require a large rewrite and complicate the code

May 26, 2016 11:03AM
Is there anything that can be done to include that cache in the ACT polygon so it is eligible for this challenge?
May 28, 2016 12:02AM
In the case of this challenge checker, would it be possible to use the state designated by the CO rather than the state designated by the polygon? I found another 63 caches which are in the same situation as GC5XY6F
May 28, 2016 12:04AM
No that information is not available to the checkers.
By the way who does it look in the field? are there border marking in the terrain?
May 28, 2016 12:11AM
In the ACT, there is a fence that pretty much surrounds the whole border. That is the way COs in the ACT tell which state their cache is located in. Google Maps is usually very accurate for us. There are also a couple of other caches which are well outside the boundaries of the ACT but are in the boundaries of Jervis Bay Territory (JBT) which make them within the ACT (some strange government thing).

I also found a few puzzles that have listed coordinates outside of the ACT but end well and truly within ACT boundaries (I am pretty sure PGC doesn't have access to hidden waypoints but they are listed as being within the ACT).
May 28, 2016 01:48PM
Just a note of Australian polygons at Project-GC.

Project-GC uses official government data from http://www.census.gov/geo/maps-data/data/tiger-line.html for Australia. It hopefully don't get more accurate than that.

If the geocaches has other information at Geocaching.com, Google Maps and so on, it's very likely to be wrong in those ends. Google Maps is almost always wrong, just as Target mentioned. Sadly, Google Maps is also the most common source that geocachers use.

As Target also mentioned, it's technically really hard for a specific script to use its own polygon data. I don't even know if it would be doable, it depends on the complexity and size of the polygon data.
May 28, 2016 10:23PM
Is it possible to add the caches into the polygon (so ACT area + 64 exceptions)? As I said before, there is a fence that borders almost all of northern, south-eastern, north-western and southern ACT, a trainline line that borders the east side and markers in the remote western part of Namadgi. All the caches I have checked are within these boundaries. I can provide a list if you would like.

If the checker simply functions on polygon data, a puzzle like GC6DVQB which has listed coordinates outside of the polygon does not show up as being in the ACT, despite it being well and truly inside the nature reserve to the west.
May 28, 2016 10:34PM
In the case of GC6DVQB the cache icon is outside the border if you look at the OSM map.
PGC have no knowledge of the final coordinates of caches that i assume is inside the nature reserv. It is always the listing coordinates that are used on pgc
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login