To be able to write in the forum you need to authenticate. Meanwhile it's read-only.

Re: 360° challenges

[Cancelled] 360° challenges
November 24, 2016 01:01AM
Hi, I am new to the forum, but would like to pose a question about the 360° challenges that I have seen in various cities and states. See for example: GC5P1WQ - 360° Challenge Berlin - Brandenburg (Germany) or GC5FC1V - 360º of Colorado Challenge (United States).
I would be interested in publishing some kind of such a challenge in Santiago (Chile).
I tried to look at the scripts for those challenges, but it seems none of them is available (all buttons except "Use checker" are gray and inactive). I do understand that the scripts for such a challenge probably are not the simplest ones (a lot of geometry and computations going into it), but would still like to see the code in order to see what I would need to change and how to modify it for my own challenge.
Any possibility to get access to the corresponding scripts or (even better) hints on how to modify those for my own purposes?
Best
Mi(chael)
November 24, 2016 03:26AM
See the last section on the "Read this first" topic.
http://project-gc.com/forum/read?8,13

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/24/2016 03:27AM by ChrisDen. (view changes)
November 24, 2016 11:14AM
There is another problem, this challenge might not be allowed anymore. Please check with your local reviewer !

Please read also http://support.groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=206#criteria
10. Source of Criteria - Not Acceptable
Challenges based on geographic areas other than countries, states/provinces, counties (or their local equivalent). For example, user-defined mapping polygons, latitude/longitude, radius, etc. (updated Aug 2016)
November 24, 2016 01:12PM
First of all, thanks for the quick and helpful remarks.

I guess the Source of Criteria should not be a real problem as I could use the equivalent of a county around Santiago or even the region (i.e. state) containing the capital. I will check with my local reviewer about the latitude/longitude question. I was thinking about using the city center (kilometer zero) as the center, which is kind of official, but do see the point vogelbird is mentioning.

One thing I was thinking about is modifying the challenge a bit in either using angle-sectors of 2 or 3 degrees (instead of only 1 degree) or by requiring only a certain number of angles being covered by finds.

Best
Mi(chael)
November 25, 2016 04:13AM
New 360 degree challenges can't be published. Challenge caches based on a geographic area can only use countries, provinces/states, and counties (or their regional equivalents). The centerpoint of a 360 degree challenge (or a 180 degree, 90 degree or 45 degree challenge) is a user-defined geographic area.
November 28, 2016 03:47PM
However, try to ask your local reviewer. I know, that the user polygons are banned, however my cache https://coord.info/GC6HB1H Rosa dei tipi challenge has been published. My challenge is to found different type in every one of 8 different sectors from GZ, so the challenge is very similar to your one.
So ask, maybe that your reviewer will be benevolent [:)]
December 25, 2016 01:44PM
No more feedback for a months so request archived. If you have any positive update about your intended challenge please put in a new request
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login