To be able to write in the forum you need to authenticate. Meanwhile it's read-only.

Re: GC59F90_tomorrow-will-be-different-challenge

[Resolved] GC59F90_tomorrow-will-be-different-challenge
June 07, 2017 12:01PM
Hi Ladies and Gents
Is there a checker out there for this cache https://www.geocaching.com/geocache/GC59F90_tomorrow-will-be-different-challenge
I found one version but it does not seen to work very well to meet the challenge requirements?
If there is nothing else is it possible to make one for it?

Cheers Chris
June 07, 2017 12:15PM
The checker you refer to is not written for this kind of challenge and should be removed.
A new script would be required. But don't hold your breath, since this sort of challenge would no longer be allowed, so it's likely to be low priority for most script writers.
June 07, 2017 10:01PM
I have been thinking about this one for a while, since it's in my backyard. But it will definitely need a special script.
July 13, 2017 06:50PM
I've taken a stab at this: http://project-gc.com/Challenges/GC59F90/27592

Any suggestions or comments on it?

Edit: seems the script is failing on big users, like Marcus Vitruvius with 15000+ finds. Disabling so I can debug and optimise.
Edit 2: and it's enabled again and working for the problem user.
Edit 3: and it appears I broke something. debugging...
Edit 4: okay, was bitten by parameter by reference vs parameter by value, so problem fixed and script enabled again.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 07/13/2017 09:23PM by pieterix. (view changes)
January 11, 2018 12:46AM
Hey all, I am having trouble running this checker, it seems to time out every time I run it. Any known issues?

Cheers,
Adriaan (ahomburg)
July 14, 2017 10:37PM
Wow thanks, that's fantastic.
Is there any chance you could write an extra bit to show the most days of this type of streak we have done? Or would that get too messy?
July 14, 2017 10:47PM
Initially I had it running for as long a streak as it could find (first occurrence in your geocaching lifetime), but after thinking about it for a bit, I realised that the condition of needing 6 types of caches might be violated as you go along. It's more complex to keep track of cache types for the last 31 days than to keep that for only 31 days, ie. the moving window is the issue. Unless you simply want to see as long a streak you can do as long as you use 6 types during that entire period, ie. the 6 types is not restricted to 31 days?
July 14, 2017 10:56PM
That sounds links it's going to get too messy, probably easier to leave it as it is and if people want to put their streak up they can just add to it manually.
I think you have done an awesome job on it, thanks so much for it.
July 14, 2017 11:15PM
You're welcome. It was a fun challenge to code and I've learnt something too.

It all depends on how you want the limitation of the 6 types to operate when working with longer streaks:
1. must be achieved within the first 31 days and you don't care about the types in the days following that 31 (easy)
2. must apply for each 31 day period inside your longer streak period, ie. moving window of 31 days (complex)
3. can be achieved sometime during your longer streak period, eg. you can take 50 days to get your 6th type for a 60 day streak (easy)

There's also more options I can think of for future coding, eg.
a. show your first streak
b. show your last streak
c. show your longest streak
July 18, 2017 09:01AM
Thanks heaps for the checker, you done an awesome job creating it, I think it would do as it is, thank again.
August 04, 2017 07:57AM
As owner of the cache;
THANKS!
This is awesome!
I did not think it would have been possible, so did not bother to ask.
I would have been fine with option 3, but my wording reads as option 1.
I would have liked a longest calculator, but it is fine as it is.
I will include this on the cache page now
Thanks again,
Mark
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login