To be able to write in the forum you need to authenticate. Meanwhile it's read-only.

Re: Elevation Caches

[Resolved] Elevation Caches
August 07, 2017 03:44PM
I am thinking of doing a challenge cache where the cacher must find 10 caches at each 1000 ft. elevation increment (including below sea level and one for above 10,000 ft). I looked in the archived (impossible) requests and found that Vogelbird had responded to a similar request of 1/20/2017 that reviewers couldn't access elevations for caches. I know this is possible because there is a macro in GSAK which yields elevations for caches. In my found database in GSAK I have a column showing the elevation of every cache I have found. The stats generator macro in GSAK also yields a graph of caches found at each 500 ft. elevation increment including below sea level and above 10,000 ft. Please advise if such a checker is possible and I will develop the challenge cache. I qualify for this challenge with over 20 found caches for each increment including below sea level and above 10,000 ft.
August 07, 2017 03:54PM
It appears to be possible and there's a script already, so all we need is the GC code for your challenge.
August 07, 2017 04:02PM
There are existing challenges that do this. However before setting the challenge please read the following FAQ: http://project-gc.com/Home/FAQ#4179902386

The key thing to realise is the system doesn't know the height of the cache. All it knows the average height of the ground level in either a 30x30m or 90x90m square within which the cache coordinates exist. If the cache is underground, or on very rugged ground the estimate will be wrong.
August 07, 2017 04:21PM
What I am looking for are broad ranges of elevations (1000 ft. increments). GSAK uses Aster 30m data and that would be sufficient. The below sea level caches are all above ground (primarily in the Salton Sea Area of California, Death Valley, and New Orleans. I am sure there may be other areas with caches below sea level. I will go ahead and develop my challenge, submit it, and then request the challenge checker. Thanks for the quick response.
August 07, 2017 04:48PM
The reviewers have after 1/20/2017 passed challenges like this in different area's.
Please look at http://project-gc.com/Challenges/GC769ZA/26700
August 07, 2017 07:41PM
Thanks. You can close out this thread and I will submit a request for a checker when I develop my elevation challenge.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login