To be able to write in the forum you need to authenticate. Meanwhile it's read-only.

[Resolved] Request for GC6N632

[Resolved] Request for GC6N632
July 10, 2016 12:51AM
Bi-Polar Challenge to fine at least one cache within the Arctic circle N65° and one near the Antarctic circle S64°.

Thank you,
Anne

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/10/2016 12:53AM by Geobun. (view changes)
Re: Request for GC6N632
July 10, 2016 08:30AM
Why the N65° Arctic circle. I am now it N65 30 and am quite sure i am south of the circle
It is The avare coorciante this year is 66º33´54.92'' http://www.lantmateriet.se/sv/Sjalvservice/Polcirkelberakning/
It moves ca 15 meters per year but it has not be/will be ar N65 30 for 30000 years if i remember correct.

What does one near the Antarctic circle S64° mean? one cache sourth or on S64° ?

I hope you know that there are som old virtuals in the arctic and perhaps in the Antarctic that was ok to be logged at home. I would recommend that virtual caches are not included
July 10, 2016 01:54PM
Thank you Vogelbird. I will adjust the north coordinates as you suggest and Virtual caches will not be permitted. I selected the south latitude of S64° because there are so few geocaches below the Antarctic Circle.
July 10, 2016 03:02PM
I tagged another checker with
N 66 33.000 and S64
http://project-gc.com/Challenges/GC6N632/21874

I would recommenced N 66 33.000 (66.55 decimal degrees) instead of N 66º33´54.92.
The reason is that there are caches on tourist stops/signs for the Arctic circle and some are now south of the circle but was on/near it when they was constructed
If you search on polcirkeln (Arctic circle in Swedish on pgc)
The tow most southern is http://coord.info/GC4BVWN and http://coord.info/GCJZY2 at N66 33.067
My guess is that is the same on other places.
That corresponds with the circle in 1934 and it is a nice coordinate
It will give me 10 finds inside the circle instead of 800+ as the other checker

The question on Antarctic circle was that "and one near the Antarctic circle S64°. " in the original request dont say that the caches has to be south/on that coordinate. I agree that it is resonable that all/most caches on Antarctica should be include
July 10, 2016 03:23PM
As you recommended, I updated the cache page to N66°30.000. Submitted for review, crossing my fingers. Thank you for all your help. -Anne
July 10, 2016 03:29PM
I forgot to write that virtual caches are excluded in that checker.
July 10, 2016 05:43PM
The checker is now based on
Min. Latitude N66.5, Min. Latitude S64.0 and excluding Virtual Caches
July 10, 2016 08:48AM
Here is the checker based on your requirements http://project-gc.com/Challenges/GC6N632/21873
July 13, 2016 02:39AM
Thank you for all your assistance with my challenge. Unfortunately the reviewer had second thoughts and archived it, stating that latitude/longitude were not permitted criteria due to the User Defined Polygon restriction. I still don't understand.
July 13, 2016 04:05AM
That would be because the new rules are that the only geographic restrictions you can place on finds are country, state/province or county (or their local equivalents).

Marking this thread as cancelled, since the reviewer has denied the cache.
July 13, 2016 06:40AM
Sumbloke , You are a bit to Quick for me to cancelled this thread There are still possibilities within the rules.
The challenge could be based on geographical area"s. The Antarctica is easy and the Artic could be defined in country, regions and counties.

If Geobun is interested I will have a go at It. Please let me know what you like me to do
July 13, 2016 11:43AM
The challenge could be based on:
Antarctica is country == 'Antarctica'
and
Arctic is country == 'Svalbard and Jan Mayen' or
country == 'Greenland' or
region == 'Finnmark' or
region == 'Troms' or
county == 'North Slope Borough (AK)' or
county == 'Region 1' or
county == 'Kitikmeot' or
county == 'Baffin' or
county == 'Øksnes' or
county == 'Bø i Nordland' or
county == 'Sortland' or
county == 'Andøy' or
county == 'Hadsel' or
county == 'Lødingen' or
county == 'Tjeldsund' or
county == 'Ballangen' or
county == 'Tysfjord' or
county == 'Hamarøy' or
county == 'Steigen' or
county == 'Evenes' or
county == 'Narvik' or
county == 'Kiruna' or
county == 'Gällivare' or
county == 'Pajala' or
county == 'Enontekiö' or
county == 'Muonio' or
county == 'Kolari' or
county == 'Kittilä' or
county == 'Sodankylä' or
county == 'Inari' or
county == 'Utsjoki' or
county == 'Savukoski'

I have excluded Russia because there are no filters (regions or counties)

The checker still has the old link but a new config http://project-gc.com/Challenges/GC6N632/21873

If I was you, I would contact the reviewer that the challenge is now based on the above countries, regions and counties
and also adjust the cache page accodingly.

If you follow my suggestion I can not imagin that the challenge will not be allowed under the new conditions

For Target. - Can you please disable your tag as it will be no longer valid
July 13, 2016 03:02PM
Thank you! I will contact the reviewer today with your suggestions. Regarding the tag, the reviewer locked the cache page because the challenge became a controversial topic, and there was a risk of a discussion thread starting on the cache page. Therefore, I cannot edit it. I will ask to have it unlocked so I can remove the old checker.

-Anne
July 13, 2016 03:09PM
There is no need to remove the old checker because the one shown on the page is the new one.

I altered the old tag and as the checker is linked to PCG it is automaticly updated
July 14, 2016 03:17PM
Vogelbird,
Our local reviewer requested that I submit a new publication. The name and parameters are the same including no virtuals, and I used your recommendations for regions, countries, and counties. The only change is the GC code. It is now GC6NEFV. Do you mind sending me a new checker link?
Thank you, Anne
July 14, 2016 03:21PM
Here is the link to the new checker http://project-gc.com/Challenges/GC6NEFV/21907
July 14, 2016 04:00PM
Mention the countries, regions and counties in the listing so there will not be any argument which ones apply because there are counties excluded from the checker which have a part in the arctic circle.

Also the is one cache in the Hudsonbaai (county Baffin, Canada) which is outside the Arctic circle. The cache is very remote, placed in 2008 and only visited 3 times. The rest of county Baffin is in the Arctic.

Russia is excluded from the checker.
July 14, 2016 04:04PM
Thank you. Here is the text of the new listing.

The Polar regions are defined as follows:
The country of Greenland
The county of North Slope Borough in Alaska, USA
The Canadian counties of Kitikmeo and Baffin
The Norwegian regions of Svalbard and Jan Mayen, Finnmark, and Troms
The Norwegian counties of Øksnes, Bø i Nordland, Sortland, Andøy, Hadsel, Lødingen, Tjeldsund, Ballangen, Tysfjord, Hamarøy, Steigen, Evenes, and Narvik

The Swedish counties of Kiruna, Gällivare, and Pajala

The Finnish counties of Enonteki, Muonio, Kolari, Kittilä, Sodankylä, Inari, Utsjoki, Savukoski

The entire region of Antarctica

Russia is excluded because there are no region or county filters for the Challenge Checker.
July 14, 2016 04:40PM
I agree with you but it might be worth mentioning that in the Geocaching world "Svalbard and Jan Mayen" is counted as a country
July 14, 2016 11:57PM
Thank you. I will edit the cache page. Still waiting while GS reviews it.
July 14, 2016 05:00PM
It that for only counties completely inside the polar circle?
There are tourist stops for polar circle passage in Sweden and they are in Övertorneå, Överkalix, Arjeplog and Jokkmokk
July 14, 2016 05:20PM
I agree with you that the polar circle runs through those counties but I try to use the counties which are inside the Polar circle as the chellange is visiting the arctic
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login