To be able to write in the forum you need to authenticate. Meanwhile it's read-only.

[Resolved] checker for 250 contiguous counties

[Resolved] checker for 250 contiguous counties
June 22, 2019 12:14PM
Requesting a checker for GC89VRT - 250 contiguous caches with a find.
Re: checker for 250 contiguous counties
June 24, 2019 03:26AM
Last I heard, HQ were not allowing contiguous county challenges due to confusion on matters such as intervening bodies of water and counties meeting at a corner. Please ask your reviewer and get back to us.

Also, even if it is allowed, there would need to be a definition of which part of the world these contiguous counties are allowed. There certainly isn't any single mapping of contiguous counties for the whole world (one was created for USA before HQ started rejecting these challenges, but I'm not sure if any others have)
June 24, 2019 05:18AM
The requester recently had a similar cache published:

https://project-gc.com/forum/read?11,29745

I created a checker for this challenge using the one from the other cache:

https://project-gc.com/Challenges/GC89VRT/43554

Please let me know if you have any feedback/suggestions.
June 24, 2019 10:42PM
I first sent a request to this forum a month ago to clarify these issues: definition of contiguous, acceptability to geo hdqtrs. Waited a couple weeks and got zero replies. So created a cache requiring 200 contig. counties and got a checker overnight. Submitted the cache for review and was approved and published. It has had a few finds. I volunteered addl info to the reviewer about the potential number of local cachers who would qualify. In short, no objections were raised.

I understand the concern about the limitation to the US since there may not be the requisite tables for other countries. A comparable challenge using contiguous states (called regions in the checker) has been approved for several caches. I noticed it in MO GC4EJRG. I'm not sure of the definition of contiguity used there, but it seems that it requires border counties with finds in the 2 states to be touching. It is not sufficient to have found a cache in the middle of each state to have the states be considered contiguous. You might note that the region checker provides results both for contiguous counties and number of regions. So it would appear that the computation required is basically the same.

If checkers can be created, I would like to place a few more challenge caches in NM, with 300,350,400 contiguous counties.
June 28, 2019 01:52AM
the created checker works fine. I've added it to the cache, which was then submitted for review and has been published. thanx for the quick turn around. you should expect another checker request at a higher level of counties.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login