To be able to write in the forum you need to authenticate. Meanwhile it's read-only.

[Awaiting feedback] GC8D1W0 - Top Ten Ontario County Challenge

[Awaiting feedback] GC8D1W0 - Top Ten Ontario County Challenge
September 02, 2019 12:29AM
Hello,

I need a challenge checker for GC8D1W0 - Top Ten Ontario County Challenge.

In order to qualify for this challenge cache :-

You must have found the Top Ten Caches by Favourite Points in Any One Ontario County.

The checker should output these fields :-

[Ontario County] , [Fav-Points] , [Date-Found] , [GC-Code] , [Cache-Name]

The checker debug output should list the Top Ten caches in each County visited.

Thanks,
Op7ion

Thanks,
Op7ion
Re: GC8D1W0 - Top Ten Ontario County Challenge
September 02, 2019 04:52AM
Here's a checker for you:

https://project-gc.com/Challenges/GC8D1W0/44717

Please test and let us know if it's suitable. It doesn't appear as if you qualify?
September 02, 2019 11:13PM
Hello,

Yes - I should qualify for Perth County. There is one disabled cache or CO holding up the flow - argggghhhh. Spent the afternoon driving around the country side in Perth County :)

Maybe ignore disabled caches ? Since GeoCachers can't log them anyways - same as Archived Caches.

Some changes :-

1. Ten Required from the Top 15 GeoCaches by Favorite points.

2. Ignore Disabled Caches

3. Checker Output is truncated for Successful Qualifications. Looks like an HTML character limit on the text control.

Thanks,
Op7ion

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/02/2019 11:15PM by Op7ion. (view changes)
September 03, 2019 08:53AM
*lol*

1. Updated.
2. If this is still a requirement, I'll have to ask arisoft to add that functionality. Will depend on his availability.
3. The top section (Example log) appears to be limited to the successes. The bottom section (Script output) shows all counties to allow someone to select a county where they only need another few finds. Or is this not what you're referring to?

PS: I've logged disabled and archived caches before, so definitely possible. If I've found a cache (container still there) that the CO can't be bothered to enable or which they simply archived because they were too lazy to check up on it, I will log my find, especially if I went to a lot of trouble to get there.
September 03, 2019 09:52AM
Thought it would make you chuckle :) :) :)

Questions - Is the COUNTY data part of Project-GC ONLY ? Or, Can I search by COUNTY on GC.com too ? If so, How do I format the search correctly on GC.com ?

1. OK - better to leave them some wiggle room with 10 in 15 from (1) above. I will think on this some more.
2: OK
3. Yes - the "Example Log" gets truncated for some people e.g. DNStephens. Hope this is an easy fix without requiring code modifications.

P.S. Sadly there was no cache at GZ and the CO did come out to verify. Not sure exactly when it will get replaced. Yes - I did go through quite a bit of trouble to get out there.

Thanks,
Op7ion
September 03, 2019 10:25AM
It would appear only region data is visible on GC.com. Tried to search by county now and only seeing region, both on search and pocket queries. Even tried the statistics page, not that GC.com is great on statistics. So yes, I don't think you can search by county on GC.com.

3. I believe that's a Project-GC limit. Only way to make more lines fit would be to drop some of the information, eg. the cache name or the visit date?
September 03, 2019 12:07PM
3. Let's drop the CACHE NAME and keep everything else.

Can you display the ICON showing the CACHE TYPE ?

For example, the ICON for Traditional, Mystery, LetterBox, etc. The icon would be great since it would not chew into the char limit.

Thanks,
Op7ion
September 03, 2019 12:40PM
The problem is that "Example log" is in Markdown, so it's basically just text, which means you can't add graphics. Or actually, more correctly: it would take up a lot more space since you have to specify very long paths to hosted images to make the image appear when you paste the "Example log" into your cache find log. I suspect the length of the "Example log" probably matches the limit you have in cache find logs. I think I'm going to ask arisoft to allow for a plain text GC code as well, since those https://coord.info/ links are taking up a lot of log space.
September 03, 2019 12:48PM
Sounds good - best keep the log space small.

3. OK - drop the CACHE NAME.

4. ADD the CACHE TYPE either Abbreviated or Full Length

5. ADD the (D/T) rating

I think these additions will be very useful for getting the challenge completed.

Thanks,
Op7ion
September 03, 2019 01:24PM
GC codes are now in plain text format and DNStephens fit. Adding the cache type or DT will add unnecessary detail, in my opinion. I'd rather show the cache name than those, but that's just me. Let me know how you want me to proceed? Maybe add the cache name again and see if it fits?
September 03, 2019 02:05PM
Sure - add the CACHE name :)

"log": "{county} ({rank}\u2665{favorite_points}): {gccode} {cache_name} ({visitdate})",

Thanks,
Op7ion
September 03, 2019 02:09PM
Too long again. So now what?
September 03, 2019 02:45PM
Don't hear that too often :)

Dang it - can't win

So back to no cache name like this :-

"log": "{county} ({rank}\u2665{favorite_points}): {gccode} ({visitdate})",

OR, print just a summary line of GC-Codes for each county.

I'm not sure what options are available for grouping & summary in the sample log report.

COUNTY : TOTAL : GC-CODE1, GC-CODE2, ..., GC-CODE10,

Any suggestions ?

Thanks,
Op7ion
September 03, 2019 02:51PM
Logging simplified again. The grouping will require extra coding so probably not possible any time soon.
September 03, 2019 07:40PM
@pieterix,

This should be OK for now even though the Simplified version affected both the SAMPLE log and DEBUG output.

The simplified version tested successfully against 16 counties - one busy chipmunk :)

Can you request the SUMMARY grouping for the SAMPLE log and FULL log for the DEBUG output ?

It might just require a separate FORMAT statement for the SAMPLE log. Yes - I know it may not be "soon".

I will work on getting the other counties :) during my lunch and publishing the first challenge.

Thanks,
Op7ion
October 04, 2019 02:21PM
What is the situation with this request ?? Can we move it to ARCHIVE Checker requests (completed) or will it be cancelled.
October 04, 2019 05:00PM
@vogelbird,

I'm working with the reviewer to get the Cache published and will reply here when it is published.

Thanks,
Op7ion

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/04/2019 05:00PM by Op7ion. (view changes)
October 10, 2019 01:17PM
Can the printout of this checker be looked at because a top cacher has no correct example log

use cacher Brook22 to see the fault
October 10, 2019 05:40PM
I suspect that's due to limited space in the example log area. The challenge is to find 1 county and Brook22 found 19, so surely some of the counties can simply be left out in their log?
October 10, 2019 05:51PM
Arisoft could make the example log shorter or place the total counties on the top line.

I will ask him to make the sample printout different
October 10, 2019 06:29PM
I removed extra example log entries to solve this problem. Now there is plenty of space :)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/10/2019 06:30PM by arisoft. (view changes)
October 10, 2019 10:11PM
@airsoft,

I had asked earlier up in the thread for a SUMMARY style sample log.

So, Broke22 would have 19 lines, one for each county completed. The FULL log is shown in the DEBUG anyways.

Question, what happens if 10 or more counties are required. Yes - the plan is to take this up to 20.

Thanks,
Op7ion
October 11, 2019 07:21AM
The principle is that the example log is useful. For one county it is now useful after this modification. For 20 counties it is not useful because it will be too long. I think that in that case only the summary line is useful as an example log.
November 15, 2019 11:58AM
This thread has not received any further feedback and will therefor be moved to ARCHIVE Checker requests (completed). Should the requester have any queries he can raise his question on this thread in the archived section,
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login