To be able to write in the forum you need to authenticate. Meanwhile it's read-only.

Re: GC6M49X - Checker request for a 6-type caches in the Region Midi-Pyrénées

Hello,

I am currently creating a serie of caches for an event near Toulouse in France and I would like to include a challenge cache since they are available again. (No challenges are hidden in this region for now)
So, is it possible to obtain a checker for the following challenge ?
--> To have found at least 7 different types of cache within a 15km radius from the challenge location (coordinates : N 43° 33.896 E 001° 20.326) .
I precise there is no imposed duration to find them, as it is not allowed by the new rules.

Thank you by advance :)

Jean-Paul

[EDIT] : Changed the title, since the challenge has been modified (according to the reviewer/guidelines)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/24/2016 10:30AM by Jean-Paul CL. (view changes)
Re: GC6M49X - Checker request for a 7-type caches within a 15km radius
June 20, 2016 11:53PM
This challenge is very likely to violate rule #11 in the guidelines. It would be great if you could ask your reviewer if the challenge would be OK before any time is spent on it.

Technically it's not a problem to create such challenge checker.
June 21, 2016 12:42AM
I don't think it would be against guideline 11, since it's any cache within that area rather than a specific list.
June 21, 2016 12:51AM
Considering the fact that there is only one geocache for four of the 7 types in that area, not counting events, I would see it as an issue if I were a reviewer, for several reasons.

map
June 21, 2016 05:54PM
Hello,

Thanks for your quick reply.
If I understand, it is not very clear if this challenge respect the guidelines. ( #11 is not clear for me too...).
Well, I contact the reviewer and i come back when i have some news.

See you soon.

JP
June 21, 2016 07:35PM
The problem is that there is only one cache of the types available and that could be considers a list.
There is now 4 specific caches that has to be found.
And what happens if two or three of them are archives?

I suspect that a review would demand that there are more of each needed types.
That is excluding events but i suspect the likelihood of other then Event and CITO is quite low.
GC6M49X - Checker request for a 6-type caches within a 50km radius
June 22, 2016 09:43PM
Many thanks for this explanation.

I see better what is the issue unique caches means implicitely a list to do.

I discussed with the rewiever...and as expected, he said this case is not simple and he couldn't say if it was acceptable or not, so your analysis was perfect!
After some mails, we finally converged to the following solution that respect well the guidelines:

--> To have found at least 6 different types of cache within a 50km radius from the challenge location (coordinates : N 43° 33.896 E 001° 20.326).

I think it is okay for creating the challenge checker :)

Thanks by advance

Jean-Paul

[Edit ] I changed the title of the answer.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/23/2016 11:21PM by Jean-Paul CL. (view changes)
Re: GC6M49X - Checker request for a 6-type caches within a 50km radius
June 24, 2016 03:46AM
Isn't a 50 km radius a problem because guideline #10 requires specific geographic regions and not user defined polygons which a 50km circle would seem to be?
June 24, 2016 04:26AM
Hello,

I would say a circle is not a polygon...:D ... (sorry, i used to teach maths in my previous job)

In fact, my rewiever itself proposed me the 50km circle. He took information and discussed with other rewiever.
At the end he said it is okay : he wrote he will publish the cache once the checker is ready (I hope it will be available soon because I am creating this cache for an event on saturday)

Jean-Paul

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/24/2016 04:27AM by Jean-Paul CL. (view changes)
June 24, 2016 04:57AM
My memories of calculus made me think that polygon became a circle as the number of sides of the polygon approached infinity but this site disagrees with me: http://mathforum.org/library/drmath/view/55097.html and states 'A circle is not a polygon".

I bet all reviewers won't agree on this but if yours is happy, go for it. I'm thinking the guidelines don't say one way or the other for the circle case.
June 24, 2016 09:52AM
That guidline was added yesterday an the rewiever did not know about it when he suggested 50 km radie

a circle is mathematically not a polygon.
But coordinates within a distance from a point can be exactly described as a circle when the coordinates are limited to 3 decimal point in the minutes

My guess is that is no allowed when a circle is almost the same as a polygon but quite different from a county etc that area allowed.
In would ask the reviewer again
Ok...
I feel very unlucky...
I will ask again the rewiever, but I have an alternative idea :
In the idea, my circle was created to encourage people to discover our region (I didn't expect this would be so difficult...)

So you are saying that countries, regions or counties are officialy allowed, (I saw it also on the guideline 10!).

I propose to build the checker not for a circle, but for the region "Midi-Pyrénées - France". So, the challenge becomes :

--> To have found at least 6 different types of cache in Midi-Pyrenées, France .

I think this should be ok for the review :
- This region is quite larger than the 50km radius (the reviewer was already ok for 50km radius, so no reason to violate #10 and #11)

Does it sound okay for you?

Thank you by advance,

Jean-Paul

[EDIT] : I've just a new message from my reviewer (I translate litteraly) : "In my opinion, a circle is not a polygon, but i admit it is a subtile debate" :) + Ok for the region area
So I prefer to stay on the last modification (Area = Midi-Pyrénées)... just to close the circle/polygon debate :D

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/24/2016 11:45AM by Jean-Paul CL. (view changes)
Ah, the "no polygons" is a recent clarification to the guidelines. I didn't recall seeing it there earlier. A region is explicitly allowed so you should be ok. Later this year I will likely be on holiday in your region but I don't know if I will have time to find the 6 cache types.
Re: GC6M49X - Checker request for a 6-type caches in the region Midi-Pyrénées-France
June 24, 2016 02:17PM
Created for Midi-Pyrénées
http://project-gc.com/Challenges/GC6M49X/21656

You could limit it to Haute-Garonne if it is more like your original request and enough caches exists. or combined with another county
see the line
http://project-gc.com/Tools/MapCompare?profile_name=Jean-Paul+CL&country=France&region=Midi-Pyr%C3%A9n%C3%A9es&county=Haute-Garonne&onefound=on&bothfound=on&submit=Filter
Many thanks your answer, the checker works for me.

I saw your suggestion about Haute-Garonne. Thanks, It's a very good idea :).
I counted the rarest types by using the filter tootl you suggested and they are more number of caches than the initial 50km radius validated by the reviewer : EarthCaches (10 vs 3), LetterBoxes (5 vs 3), the uniques WIG and virtual did not changed.
If it is not too complicated to modify, is it possible to restrict the checker to "Haute Garonne" ?

Jean-Paul
Re: GC6M49X - Checker request for a 6-type caches in the region Midi-Pyrénées-France
June 25, 2016 09:44AM
It is now restricted to Haute-Garonne
Thank you very much for your time Target.

It works well for me.

See you soon maybe for an other challenge. This one was very instructing.

Jean-Paul
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login