To be able to write in the forum you need to authenticate. Meanwhile it's read-only.

Re: GLNBT4ED Death Valley History Adventure Checker needed

[Resolved] GLNBT4ED Death Valley History Adventure Checker needed
June 23, 2016 03:35PM
I need help creating a checker for my cache.
Thanks
Pezcachers
June 23, 2016 03:57PM
please post the GC code GLNBT4ED is not a gc code and nether a log id
Re: GC6M8PG Death Valley History Adventure Checker needed
June 23, 2016 04:35PM
Not sure why that showed up at first.
This is on the page now.
GC6M8PG

Ken

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/23/2016 04:37PM by PezCachers. (view changes)
June 23, 2016 04:44PM
That is a unpublished cache
You have to post the requirements because only you and reviewers can see that page
June 23, 2016 04:49PM
GC6M8PG_death-valley-history-adventure
And it needs the word Challenge in then name of the cache. Please read the guidelines

The cache namn can be seen in the url and is the only thin that anyone can see
GC6M8PG_death-valley-history-adventure
June 23, 2016 04:51PM
Find the 17 oldest still active caches in the DV region defined by the Lonely Cache Project.
All of them were placed in 2001

The List
1. GC2ABC 10. GC1306
2. GC2A92 11. GC1B98
3. GCA93 12. GC57D
4. GC2A94 13. GC209F
5. GC7BB 14. GC6A6
6. GC2090 15. GC2D2E
7. GC1561 16.GC1153
8. GC115A 17.GC1409
9. GC1562
June 23, 2016 05:09PM
I changed the name of the cache to include "Challenge"

I'm not sure what to do here? Can you clarify for me and I will be happy to change whatever is needed.

"The cache namn can be seen in the url and is the only thin that anyone can see
GC6M8PG_death-valley-history-adventure"
June 23, 2016 05:37PM
That it not a problem now when challenge is added to the name
If you try tor load a unpublished cache with a coord.info url
coord.info/GC6M8PG
groundspeek will redirect to the one below with the cache name in the url
https://www.geocaching.com/geocache/GC6M8PG_death-valley-history-adventure-challenge

So I could read the cache name
June 23, 2016 05:15PM
You'll need to modify your challenge definition to avoid requiring people to find all of the caches on a specific list, and to relate to a publicly defined region, like a county, or within a radius from a defined point.
June 23, 2016 05:48PM
"You'll need to modify your challenge definition to avoid requiring people to find all of the caches on a specific list
and to relate to a publicly defined region, like a county, or within a radius from a defined point."

This is the reason for my Challenge. To find the 17 oldest caches in a specific region.
Is there any way I can change the wording around to make it acceptable?

I went through what makes a challenge cache ok 1.22. challenge caches all 14 points and did not interpret them to exclude what I had set up. Are there other guide lines some where ? I have had this cache sitting out there for over a year waiting for the new guide lines and thought this cache would be OK.
Ken
June 23, 2016 06:02PM
The current guidelines are located at
https://support.groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=206
and is it 11 Not acceptabel part where you have a list of caches you have to find.

You can in theory do a oldest insides a polygon/circle but the checker API does not support that att the moment.

The only avalible filters for oldest is Country, region and county
http://project-gc.com/doxygen/lua-sandbox/classPGC__LUA__Sandbox.html#a3dbcb0ca8411fc9c3fdf4b8d36ca838d
You cant filter the old list by coordinates manualy because the checkers dont have access to the coordinates of not found caches

So the closest you can do at the moment is the X oldest in the counties that cover the area.

Or ask a reviewer if a challenge with caches on a list is OK. My guess it that you will get a not allowed as answer
June 23, 2016 07:17PM
Ok,
I will search out the different counties that these caches are in. I would guess these would still be the oldest caches and
come back and post here. So, If I'm understanding correctly. I have 17 caches, lets say they all encompass 5-8 counties
I can call out those counties and ask for the oldest cache in each one?

Thank you for your help and guidance here. I'm not trying to be difficult but I have spent a few years seeking these qualifying caches out and actually logging them. Then once I found all of them I missed the deadline last year by a few days.... The ammo can has been out there aging......

Best Regards
Ken
June 23, 2016 08:15PM
Right now the only script that exist for old caches can only require the X oldest for the counties combined.
If you install the pgc script http://project-gc.com/Home/UserScript the counties will be listed on the cache page
It it important that you post the exact namn that pgc uses including like "Portage County (WI)" for
http://coord.info/GC1306 And that cache is archive. You can not demand that archived/disabled caches has to be found
June 23, 2016 09:45PM
I have checked out the Polygon and have got as far as getting the caches on the map but I cannot use the virtual GPS unless I'm a paying member. If this will allow me to get my cache approved I will pay the fee. I just want to make sure it will pass the scrutiny of the reviewers before buying the membership.
Can someone confirm for me?
Thanks
June 23, 2016 09:58PM
You don't need the virtual GPS/be a paying member. My link was to a grease monkey script that add some thing to the gc.com website

Voglebird is mistaken in his comment. You can't use polygon filters the API for oldest caches cant filter by that the only options are country/state/county
And can't be filtered in te script after that when coordinates to not found caches are nor available to the script
June 23, 2016 10:01PM
Hi, I forgot to mention that I am a Community Volunteer Reviewer. (I use my player account here because I paid for a Project-GC membership in that name.)

A challenge to find 17 out of 17 oldest caches would constitute an impermissible "specific list" -- and that is not a new challenge cache restriction, it's always been that way. A guidelines-compliant approach would be something like "find any [10] caches in [defined region] that were hidden before [defined date]" and then demonstrate to your reviewer that an element of choice is involved.
June 23, 2016 10:20PM
Not always there are at least one out there http://coord.info/GC2X4ZR

I was going to write before that all X oldest is likely not ok. But a change to something like log 10 of the 20 oldest would be ok in my opinion.
That is less a list then hidden before a date. The before a date is a specific list but N oldest will changes if a cache is archived. And a date could be set so that only 20 caches exists
The question might be what ratio is ok between needed and of oldes cache
That can be made so that owned caches is not included and you dont exclude early hiders.

PezCachers should choose what version is preferable (if my version is ok) with a ratio that his reviewer would like
June 23, 2016 05:49PM
It does not have to be "publicly defined region, like a county, or within a radius from a defined point." a polygon could be used instead
June 24, 2016 02:22AM
Please refer to the Challenge Cache guidelines, Item 10. What IS acceptable: "Challenge cache criteria may be based upon these geographic areas: countries, states/provinces, counties (or their local equivalent)." In the list of what is NOT acceptable: "Challenges based on user-defined mapping polygons."
June 24, 2016 08:32AM
That was added on june 23 ie yesterday. That is after the previous post.
I this case the new rule is the same as the limitations in the oldest cache API
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login