To be able to write in the forum you need to authenticate. Meanwhile it's read-only.

Re: Challenge Checker Re-request to voglebird

[Resolved] Challenge Checker Re-request to voglebird
April 29, 2018 01:07AM
Regarding "The U. S. Time Zone Challenge - 1912 Edition" GC7MX9W

A few days ago you denied my request for a checker for this challenge because you indicated that a time zone is an arbitrary boundary. I have communicated with a reviewer and he said that the way my challenge is written should be OK. I don’t know if you can see the dialog on my page, but it lists the individual states that would count for the “zone” regardless as to whether or not that the cache is or isn’t in the specific zone. For example, the eastern side of Oregon is in the Mountain Time Zone (-7 UTC zone), but the “Zone” doesn’t really matter. The state is listed by my definition on the page as being in the Pacific Time Zone. A cache for that state would only count for that zone. I have listed each state as being in a certain “zone” regardless of where the cache might be located. (Real time-zone-wise.)
In reality I have divided the U.S. into 4 major areas and have listed what state counts for that area. I borrowed this idea from another challenge CO that has done it the exact same way.
I was confused when you said that zones couldn’t be used because I was actually defining what states would be in a group and using them to be designated for the states that would count. Now I understand that we were really talking about two different definitions. I only titled my challenge with the words “Time Zones” to make it sound to the Geocacher that they would have to cache in at least 1 state in 4 different areas across the United States. Essentially I have defined each “arbitrary boundary” with specific states.
So now, my real question is do you need to know which states count as zone 1, zone 2, and so on, or do you have access to viewing my cache page?
Thanks,
Marty
April 29, 2018 05:26AM
If you have used geographic area's as timezones of cource this is allowed but I can not read your listing. You have to spell out the time zones with the State names and I can do the checker. Sorry about the confessionele.
April 29, 2018 06:38AM
OK, I'm calling them time zones, but as I have explained they really aren't. Many of the states share 2 time zones. I made the choice as to where to put them based on which zone contained most of the state. Thanks for taking another look at this. I am also going to submit another challenge adding Hawaii (as a zone) and Alaska (as a zone) plus the 4 zones given here. Here are the zones and states I have put into them:

Pacific (4)
California, Nevada, Oregon, and Washington

Mountain (7)
Arizona, Colorado, Idaho, Montana, New México, Utah, and Wyoming.

Central (16)
Alabama, Arkansas, Illinois, Iowa, Kansas, Louisiana, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, Nebraska, North Dakota, Tennessee, Wisconsin, Oklahoma, South Dakota, and Texas.

Eastern (22 - including D.C.)
Connecticut, Delaware, District of Columbia, Florida, Georgia, Indiana, Kentucky, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Vermont, Virginia, West Virginia
April 29, 2018 10:01AM
Here is the link to the checker https://project-gc.com/Challenges/GC7MXA1/34495

Please test and confirm
April 29, 2018 07:02AM
Whoops. I hit the wrong box. Please disregard.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/29/2018 07:05AM by Porkwatch. (view changes)
April 29, 2018 06:59PM
voglebird,

The challenge cache with 4 "zones" is GC7MX9W. The checker you have devised works correctly, but the GC number is for the 6 zone challenge.

The challenge cache with 6 zones is GC7MXA1

I'm sorry I didn't submit the GC number when I inquired about using specific state groups. This has all been my fault.

What do we do next?

Marty
April 29, 2018 07:11PM
April 29, 2018 08:21PM
voglebird,

The 4 zone checker (https://project-gc.com/Challenges/GC7MX9W/34495) works great!
I tested it with my geo-name and it said I meet the requirements.
I also ran my brother's geo-name and it said he did not meet the requirements.
Both results were as expected.

Thank you so much,
Marty
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login