To be able to write in the forum you need to authenticate. Meanwhile it's read-only.

Re: Checker request for GC5FZ23 The A-Z Counties Challenge

[Resolved] Checker request for GC5FZ23 The A-Z Counties Challenge
December 12, 2018 10:11PM
Requesting a challenge checker please for GC5FZ23 The A-Z Counties Challenge

Challenge details:
- Find 26 caches
- Finds must be from the United States
- Each cache must be from a county that starts with a different letter of the alphabet
- Three "wildcards" available: The county doesn't need to start with the letter, but must contain it.
--- Eg: There are no counties in the U.S. that start with X, but "Wexford" would work as a wildcard.

I am not the cache owner.
December 13, 2018 10:05PM
Our Challenge GC76NEJ has very similar requirements and has a checker.
December 13, 2018 10:28PM
In that case here is the checker https://project-gc.com/Challenges/GC5FZ23/38880

Please test andere reply
December 14, 2018 07:09AM
Close, but not quite correct... If you look at the output for me, I've found caches in counties that start with all letters except Q, V, X and Z. The output correctly finds a wildcard for X and Z, but it should have found a wildcard for V (Eg: GC35 in Grand Traverse County, MI). (Even if I had a fourth wildcard, I don't have a county with Q anywhere in the name -- Note to self: find one!).

The wildcards do not necessarily need to be used for Q, X, Z. There are counties that start with Q and Z (though very, very few). X will end up being one of the three wildcards as there exist no counties in the U.S. that begin with X.

I might suggest that the script first attempt to match the first letter, and if that fails, attempt to match the letter anywhere in the county name, up to three times. I digress however as I shouldn't be telling you how to implement it. Apologies.

So for example, a newbie cacher might be missing a county that starts with C, but they have "McComb County". This would be their first wildcard. Say they need more for F and L. There's the last two wildcards. Now they need R. Well, they haven't got a county starting with R. Even though they've got "Greene County", they can't use it since they're out of wildcards.
December 14, 2018 10:32AM
Too quick to assume that the challenge was the same as GC76NEJ , I will remove the checker and mark this topic as new script required. Maybe sloth96 can extent his script
March 16, 2019 10:03PM
I modified the script to do this.... can you please test it and get back to us

https://project-gc.com/Challenges/GC5FZ23/41242
March 16, 2019 10:11PM
Looks like it's working, at least for my own output and that of a friend Thanks!
P98
March 16, 2019 10:12PM
Cool challenge. It appears that state abbreviations are being counted in the wildcard. Gillipsie County TX counted for my X.
March 16, 2019 10:13PM
Shouldn't be doing that.
March 16, 2019 10:16PM
OK... will fix.... thanks for good testing feedback!!
March 16, 2019 11:35PM
Sorry for the delay...had to go to a CITO!

Now fixed
P98
March 16, 2019 11:38PM
Looks good on my account!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login