To be able to write in the forum you need to authenticate. Meanwhile it's read-only.

Re: New Checker for GC4N3CN

[Resolved] New Checker for GC4N3CN
April 30, 2019 01:01AM
Find 10 or more caches a day for 20 CONSECUTIVE days OR 20 or more caches a day for 10 CONSECUTIVE days. Please identify the qualifying geocaches in the output.
April 30, 2019 02:04AM
GC4N3CN is an archived traditional cache in Arkansas. Did you mean a different GC Code?

Note: if this is not a grandfathered challenge (pre moratorium), the challenge would not be permitted for a new cache because it's time limited and requires streaks of greater than one cache per day.
April 30, 2019 02:11AM
Oops I fat fingered it. Try GC4N3CM
April 30, 2019 07:04AM
This challenge will require a new script to be written and as this challenge (or ones like it) would no longer be allowed the new script would have limited use.

If no one else wants to write it.... I will when I have some time.
Re: New Checker for GC4N3CM
April 30, 2019 01:41PM
No problem. Thank you. I changed the Cache ID above to the correct one.
May 04, 2019 06:39AM
Here it is:

https://project-gc.com/Challenges/GC4N3CM/42568

It would seem that edit: less than half more than half of the people claiming this challenge didn't actually do it.... or there is a bug in the checker.

The script lists the caches in the streak (all of them) if they qualify. It simply states 'NOT COMPLETED' if they don't.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/04/2019 06:46AM by GreyHams. (view changes)
May 04, 2019 06:54AM
Hmmmm, KBLAST did do 20 a day for 10 days.... exactly 20 a day, for exactly 10 days.... will go looking for my bug!
May 04, 2019 07:02AM
Fixed now....
May 04, 2019 12:03PM
Thanks GreyHams. Job well done.
For those of us who don’t qualify will still have to determine whether we are closer to 20 per day for 10 days or 10 per day for 20 days. Knowing this would tell the cacher which one would be the easier one to achieve.
May 05, 2019 01:36AM
I appreciate that it would be nice if the checker returned more detail for people that have not yet achieved the challenge... but:

- this script is not likely to see any reuse as this kind of challenge would no longer be allowed, so spending hours getting the logging right for people that do not meet the challenge is not a priority of mine.
- the challenge contains multiple ways to achieve... so which do you log if the cacher does not meet the challenge? All of them?
- the checker is mainly designed to help people that may have achieved the challenge long ago to not have to trawl through their history.
- if a cacher cannot check their own last 10 or 20 days.... to see their progress, then that is not really a checker problem.
May 05, 2019 03:15AM
I presume the checker goes a similar process as this:
1. Check for consecutive days of caching
2. If the consecutive days matches either of the two criteria - 10 or 20 consecutive days, then
3. Check if of each of the two criteria how many days meet the second criteria of either 10 or 20 a day
4. Identify how many of the 2 x 2 criteria are met... X days of 10 caches per day for 20 days and how Y days of 20 caches per for 10 days.

If you know item 4, is it difficult to just identify and list each of the two ways where the voids are? There are checkers that tell you what is missing to meet the challenge.

I have been caching since 2008 and have 14,000+ finds. I may be missing only one day in 2009 that does not meet either of the two criteria. Or I may be on 3 caches away from meeting one of the criteria. While there are two ways to meet the challenge, I would probably attempt completing the criteria of of the one I am closest to meeting. How close I am to meeting the challenge is not easily determined.
I am not sure what you mean “if a cacher cannot check their last 10 or 20 days” Do you mean the last 10 or 20 days they found caches? For me to find which of the two criteria I am closest to meeting, I will have to manually do the steps 1-4 listed above. If you can tell me an easier way, I would appreciate it.
I agree a checker that could satisfy this request would not be reusable on future challenge caches. However, there may be many users trying to determine what they need to qualify.
I understand that time is limited and you have to prioritize your time. Thanks for at least building a checker for either or test....either you do or don’t qualify.
May 06, 2019 09:25AM
I agree the checker could give better feedback... it could, its partially my own laziness (though is it lazy if I am a volunteer and just spent 4 hours creating a checker)... but, having said that:

- if you did 95% of a streak 5 years ago.... it doesn't really matter if you got 95% or 1%, its not 100%. You cannot change your finds from 5 years ago to meet a streak.
- this challenge is a streak of either 10 or 20 days.... so a cacher has to go back at most 19 days to see if they are meeting the requirements.

The checker is not meant to help people to know exactly how many more they need today/tomorrow.... the checker is to help people with 14,000+ finds, they may have met this challenge 5 years ago but dont want to trawl through 5 years of records.

It is what it is.....
May 06, 2019 02:46PM
Oh my how stupid you make me feel. I didn't correlate the need for a streak to past performance so you are indeed correct in saying what you did before doesn't matter. The grey matter isn't what it used to be. Thanks for bearing with me and making me realize I didn't think this through enough. And surely your volunteer efforts are greatly appreciated.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login