To be able to write in the forum you need to authenticate. Meanwhile it's read-only.

Re: Checker for GC42TZA isn't quite right

[Resolved] Checker for GC42TZA isn't quite right
June 14, 2019 08:37PM
The checker for Just Quest (JQ) Challenge isn't quite right. The challenge is to find at least 10 caches whose names "end with" J or Q, including at least 3 for J and at least 3 for Q. The description says "If there are other characters after the J or Q, it still ends in J or Q for the purposes of this challenge UNLESS ANY OF THOSE CHARACTERS IS A-Z or 0-9.".

One of my finds is Union Hill Below The "J", which qualifies as ending in J, but the checker doesn't find it. The name of the cache actually ends with a quotation mark followed by a space, which I suspect is part of the problem.

I'm not fluent in Lua, but I've looked at the code for the checker, and maybe I've found the error: To check for a name ending in J, the checker uses this:

string.match(value,'.*J[^A-Z0-9]?\s*$')

I guess that the "\s" is supposed to check for a whitespace character as it would in unix grep, but the documentation that I've seen for string.match doesn't indicate that it supports that. Also, the "?" after the brackets only allows for one non-alphanumeric character, although the description of the cache allows any number of them. I think that the checker should use this instead:

string.match(value,'.*J[^A-Z0-9]*$')

(And similarly for Q.) But as I said, I'm not a Lua expert, so I could be wrong about this.
June 15, 2019 03:31AM
Have you tried sending ShammyLevva a message?
June 15, 2019 04:03AM
GreyHams Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Have you tried sending ShammyLevva a message?

No, I hadn't thought of that. I'll try that.

Thanks.
July 02, 2019 11:36PM
I've had no reply from ShammyLevva. Can anyone else help?
July 03, 2019 06:01PM
Here is a checker for you to test:

https://project-gc.com/Challenges/GC42TZA/43677

It seems to pick up on the cache you mentioned the other checker not catching, but let me know if you have any feedback/suggestions.
July 03, 2019 11:21PM
Oneforfortytwo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Here is a checker for you to test:

Thanks! That appears to do just what the challenge requires.

Now I just need to find one more cache ending in Q.
July 04, 2019 07:06AM
Just a note to the OP from the peanut gallery: you'll have to involve the CO to get the new checker added to the cache description to make it easier on people to qualify.
July 04, 2019 08:00AM
Thanks for the suggestion. I'll do that.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login