To be able to write in the forum you need to authenticate. Meanwhile it's read-only.

Re: problem for rewiewing GC8CMH7

[Resolved] problem for rewiewing GC8CMH7
November 14, 2019 10:04AM
Hello

I have a problem to validate my challenge
I have created the following challenge
https://project-gc.com/Challenges/GC8CMH7
And here is the message from the Rewiewer
"It seems to me that the problem with this challenge is that it is based only on active caches. So if a cache is archived, you may no longer meet the conditions. This is therefore not in accordance with the Guidelines."
and he advises me this:
"Maybe you should look at the script "Generic Oldest in N Regions (by sloth96)"
Can you help me please

Here are the conditions of the challenge:
To host this challenge you will have to go back to the beginnings of geocaching in Alsace and visit the oldest caches in the Bas-Rhin and Haut-Rhin.
You must reach a certain number of points to meet this challenge, only active caches are counted. You must use each of the following 7 types of caches (i.e. have at least 1 point per type)
The points of the caches in the list will automatically be counted as found in their owner's total.

Type of caches to search for

Tradi
Multi
Mystery
Letterbox
Wherigo
Earthcache
Virtual

The points for each cache are established according to the following diagram:

oldest cache: 10 points
second oldest cache: 9 points
third oldest cache: 8 points
fourth oldest cache: 7 points
ninth oldest cache: 2 points
tenth oldest cache: 1 point

The maximum number of points available is 385 points, to be able to log this challenge you will need to reach 75% of the total, or 288 points.
November 14, 2019 10:59AM
The link you should use is https://project-gc.com/Challenges/GC8CMH7/46458

I changed the config to allow for archived caches but I noticed that the change is not working correct.
I will contact the scriptwriter to see what the problem is.
November 14, 2019 11:35AM
Curretly the script has specified no algorithm to include archived caches.

For example, what should happen if a player has found the currently oldest cache and also one or more caches that are older but archived. How many points should the player earn in this case? If we can define the algorithm it is possible to adjust the script accordingly.

[edit] In this case it could also be useful to allow only archived caches which have been archived after the challenge is placed as the older archived caches does not have any effect to the challenge.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/14/2019 11:51AM by arisoft. (view changes)
November 14, 2019 01:22PM
Re: [edit] In this case it could also be useful to allow only archived caches which have been archived after the challenge is placed as the older archived caches does not have any effect to the challenge.

Rule 13 might be a problem for this
Geocaches found before challenge was published can count towards the achievement of the challenge.
November 14, 2019 09:04PM
gwen.fox Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> "It seems to me that the problem with this
> challenge is that it is based only on active
> caches. So if a cache is archived, you may no
> longer meet the conditions. This is therefore not
> in accordance with the Guidelines."

The challenge is based on the list of oldest caches which is not under the cache owner’s primary control. There is no archived caches in the list. This is the situation where we start.

To modify the checker we need to know which archived caches are considered to belong to this list and in what circumstances this should happen. For example, if the player meets the challenge without using any archived caches, should we go as it is now? Or should we add all archived finds to the list before scoring any caches? Or only check archived caches if there is any caches missing from the primary list.

I think that the easiest modification is to check archived caches only when a primary cache is not found. It keeps the script logic straightforward and scoring uniform.

[edit] And... not to be too easy... how do we calculate the age of an archived cache? Should we stop counting when the cache is archived?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/14/2019 09:15PM by arisoft. (view changes)
November 14, 2019 09:43PM
Indeed, searching in the archived caches only if there are missing caches to complete the challenge would be a good solution (and I hope it is acceptable to review it) and if it is possible to keep the same script output as what it is currently, namely the 10 oldest caches of each type.
I don't know how complicated this is for you, so I thank you.
November 14, 2019 09:49PM
How about the age calculation? If you define the age being the time the cache has been available to public, the challenge seems to be more realistic for me. For example, if someone found a cache 10 years ago and that cache was available only one day before get archived, it may not be worth of declaring it as an "old" cache in any means.
November 14, 2019 10:50PM
I saw (and have seen for other country) this challenge as an Alsacian jasmer, and therefore that the old-age of the cache was based on the publication date (or GC code) and maybe include the archived caches as follows: if a cache is older than the oldest it would add 10 points at the total, then for the following ones it would have the same number as the cache below it (that is, the cache it would have taken the place of)
November 15, 2019 09:21AM
You understand that when you define the age as how long ago the cache was published, your challenge will be filled with caches found long time ago, not by caches that really are the noteworthy old ones.

Could you give me an example. If we have three active caches published 1000,2000 and 3000 days ago. And archived caches the player has found are published 3500 and 2500 days ago. How the score should be calculated. Without archived caches the score would be

1. 3000 days = 3 points
2. 2000 days = 2 points
3. 1000 days = 1 points

One solution is change the table this way:

1. 3500 days = 3 points <-- archived inserted
2. 3000 days = 2 points
3. 2500 days = 1 points <-- archived inserted

This makes the table different for each players who has found any archived caches by inserting found caches to the table as requirements.

Another solution, for example, when the 2000 days old cache is not found, is to replace it with the oldest archived one.

1. 3000 days = 3 points
2. 3500 days = 2 points <- replaced by the archived one
3. 1000 days = 1 points

In some challenges the archived cache must have the same properties as the cache it is replacing. For example, if you are required to find a cache from year 2010 you can not replace it by an archived cache from 2009. In your case, requirement to find a 2000 days old cache could be fullfilled by finding an archived cache published at the same day or alternatively by a cache from the same category:

1. 3000 days = 3 points
2. 2500 days = 2 points <-- replaced by an archived cache from 1000-3000 days category.
3. 1000 days = 1 points

All of these examples are possible options to add to the checker. If you are not sure you may ask advice from your reviewer. Scoring makes this somehow more difficult to deside. Challenges requiring to find only the oldest published single cache are easier as the requirement is simply found or not found and any older archived cache is ok.
January 03, 2020 03:49PM
Can we move this request ARCHIVE Checker requests?
January 04, 2020 01:18PM
Yes you can archive this request
Thank you very much for your help and the time you spent on my request.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login