To be able to write in the forum you need to authenticate. Meanwhile it's read-only.

[Resolved] Request for grandfathered challenge GC41CYZ

[Resolved] Request for grandfathered challenge GC41CYZ
March 08, 2020 09:31PM
Hi going through some of my unqualified challenges and several don't have checkers so I thought why not just ask. If a full checker can not be made maybe use the checker as a tool to flag potential qualifiers.

Thanks for your time

GC41CYZ The Directionally-Challenged Challenge Cache

All caches found for this challenge must contain one of the four cardinal directions North, South, East, or West. The words must convey a direction.
Words containing the cardinal directions, like Northwest, or Southeast, or southern, or westerly count. Words like Northwood, or Southwind also will count for this challenge. Words like Beast or Easter will not count because they do not convey a direction.
You may count a cache that has more than one cardinal direction only once for this challenge. A cache name like "North by Northwest" would only count once, even though it has the qualifying words three times in the title.
There must be at least 10 cache finds for each cardinal direction.
You may only count five caches from a series of caches with the same name. In my list, I have included only 5 caches from the North Shore Trail series.
Re: Request for grandfathered challenge GC41CYZ
March 08, 2020 09:43PM
If you can provide a list of all the allowed words, I can provide a checker.
March 08, 2020 09:51PM
Awesome thank you! Here are the words I have thus far and from the description. Thanks for the quick response

north
south
east
west
northwest
southwest
northeast
northeast
northern
southern
western
eastern
northerly
southerly
easterly
westerly
westside
eastside
northside
southside
northwood
southwind
March 08, 2020 11:12PM
looks like I have two northeast was supposed to be southeast
March 08, 2020 11:27PM
Also can I add
northbound
southbound
eastbound
westbound

Thanks
March 19, 2020 10:22PM
So a simplified tile checker list would be anything with: north south east or west
March 30, 2020 12:38AM
Any update on this request?
May 01, 2020 10:39AM
@ pieterix

Any update on this
May 25, 2020 05:02PM
I created a very basic checker for this challenge:

https://project-gc.com/Challenges/GC41CYZ/51656

There are several problems with using a checker to see if you qualify, however. One is that the number of possible qualifying words is essentially limitless, if the only stipulation is that the word must "convey a direction." However, you can't just check for caches where North, South, East, or West appear in the title, since then false positives like Beast will show up.

There are also some conditions that are impractical/impossible to check for. For instance, there is no way to determine if a cache is part of a series or not. Checking to make sure that you have at least 10 of each direction is also a difficult task, especially since words like Northwest could theoretically be put into multiple categories.

So, I would suggest using something like GSAK to get your qualifiers instead. You can just filter by North, South, East, or West and then pick your qualifying caches that way.
May 25, 2020 05:53PM
Unfortunately as a Mac user GSAK is not supported. Thanks for the help. My manual list has a few more due to the. embedded nature of the name. Let's go ahead and drop this request.

Thanks
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login