To be able to write in the forum you need to authenticate. Meanwhile it's read-only.

Re: GC441ZB 50 States & A Capitol Challenge

[Resolved] GC441ZB 50 States & A Capitol Challenge
August 14, 2022 02:02AM
Is it possible to write a checker for this cache? Seems state names are simple. Common postal abbrevations could be included with the caveat that they may not be valid.

Thank you,
Faye/PulmonaryHip
August 14, 2022 09:59PM
I have set up a checker which one might consider to be a "helper" script. It will print a list of caches that you've found that contain the names of U.S. states. I have not included postal abbreviations since many are common words (ie. "in", "me", and "or") and would clog the output. It will be your responsibility to go through the list and select caches that meet the other requirements laid out on the cache page (ie. "You can use no more than 5 states from a single series/owner.")

For this reason it is not associated with the GC#. You must use this link to access it:

https://project-gc.com/Challenges//70615
August 16, 2022 03:11PM
Thanks - that's a great start to the challenge. Here are things that would improve it.

1. You only need 1 find for each state name, so listing the same state names multiple times is not necessary.

2. It would be best if you show the state the cache is in. Caches with a state name that matches the state it was found in are the preferred finds.

3. Be sure to include the words - District of Columbia - in your search criteria.

Thanks for all your help.

Faye/PulmonaryHip
August 16, 2022 05:35PM
1. My concern was the third rule on the cache page.

You can use no more than 5 states from a single series.

That's not something that the checker can check for. The checker could pick all fifty from a single series, and then there will be no way to convince the checker to list alternatives. It takes a human to "know" if something is a series, or not.

However I'm happy to make this change, if you wish.

2. The region the cache is located in is now shown.

3. DC has been added to the wordlist.
August 22, 2022 02:17PM
Thanks. I understand why you have set it up the way it is.

Thank you so much for your help.

Faye/PulmonaryHip
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login