To be able to write in the forum you need to authenticate. Meanwhile it's read-only.

Re: Requesting a checker for GC9WT1A

[Resolved] Requesting a checker for GC9WT1A
March 06, 2023 05:14AM
This checker request and my next one are related so I apologize now if I repeat myself too much between the 2 posts.

Could I please get a checker created for the challenge cache GC9WT1A which is the next in my series of existing similar challenge caches GC8ZZVH and GC9CEQ0? Those challenges are based on the Difficulty/Terrain grid as will this new one. But instead of finding unique cache types or sizes in each D/T square, to qualify for this new challenge, cachers must find 2500 unique D/T/Attribute combinations.

Here's a couple of other caveats/criteria for this challenge as well -

• The Partnership, Lost and Found, and Needs Maintenance attributes can not be used for this challenge. All the rest of the attributes (108 positive and negative attributes) can be used for this challenge.
  • To keep this challenge consistent with the other 2 in the series, please exclude the cacher's own caches from being used for the challenge. In the past, cachers were able to log their own caches.
  • Benchmarks and lab caches obviously can not be used for this challenge either.

I think that covers everything. Please let me know if you have any questions. Thanks.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/06/2023 05:53AM by sapien. (view changes)
March 07, 2023 10:00AM
This request requires a script extension by DrAcorn

He will try to do it by the end of the week at the latest.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/07/2023 11:10AM by vogelbird. (view changes)
March 08, 2023 02:53PM
Here is a checker:
https://project-gc.com/Challenges/GC9WT1A/75760
The output is very long at the moment, and I will try and reformat this soon. I think at least the functionality is correct.

Please say if this is good for you.
March 09, 2023 09:54AM
Hi again - As noted in my reply to the GCA4QC6 post, these comments may be applicable to it as well.

Thank you for extending the script. I'm happy to see the functionality is working great from what I can tell. I manually did the calculations for this challenge on my own profile and it's nice to see the numbers match (though I just barely qualify for this challenge :-b ).

It appears we both have the same concerns about the formatting of the output. I look forward to seeing how it can be changed.

I have a suggestion for another checker/output format if you are interested though. It may or may not work for this challenge so please feel free to disregard my idea. I have another attributes based challenge GC9P0GZ. Could that checker be adapted for this challenge so that instead of looking for rows, columns, and/or diagonals, it would count all the D/T squares filled with each attribute instead. Is that possible?

And could that checker be changed to a hidden month/year grid for the other GCA4QC6 challenge? I have no idea what's involved so please feel free to ignore this suggestion if it's not viable.

I don't know how to upload images here but I'm also aware of another cacher stats website out there. I'm not sure if I'm allowed to upload their output here or even name the website so I won't, just in case I get into trouble. As part of its stats for each cacher, it generates a D/T/attributes summary that could also work for the output for this challenge as well. Basically it's a table/list that looks like this:

Scenic View 68/81
Dogs Allowed 67/81
Available in Winter 63/81
etc....

It doesn't have any of the detail of the current checker though, which I really like. Plus I think the current checker output helps those cachers who don't qualify for this challenge.. But as a last resort, this summary format could work too.

Or maybe the ideal situation is a combination of the 2 formats. Perhaps the summary format could be part of the "Example Log" section and all the detailed grid(s) are in the Script Output part. Really I have no idea what's possible so I'll leave it up to you to find the best checker/output solution that works for this challenge.

Thank you for all the time and effort you put into helping all of us out here..
March 12, 2023 05:37PM
I've updated the checker so that it should always be able to fetch the HTML output, unfortunately the attribute icons and links have gone so that it takes up less storage. the overall output has all the same information, but a bit less flashy, I guess.
I did consider doing it the way you suggested (that one is also my script too!) but for me it was easier to extend the one I did over the other.

all owned caches are also now excluded also - including events and caches adopted after finding them.

Please let me know if my updates are acceptable, otherwise I can try extend the other script too.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/13/2023 10:28AM by DrAcorn. (view changes)
March 14, 2023 02:34AM
Thanks for making the changes but after seeing the checker output, I think my preference would be to use the format of the GC9P0GZ checker, assuming it's not too much trouble, and assuming that checker can be adapted to be used for the other challenge GCA4QC6 as well. So please let me know if it's possible. I know your time is precious and I can appreciate that you are doing all this as a volunteer. I'm definitely thankful and don't have any expectations. I just think the GC9P0GZ format looks cleaner and it also makes it easier to see which D/T squares of an attribute you are missing if you don't qualify for the challenge. With the current format, it seems harder to figure that out. In my opinion, people who qualify don't really care about the checker output (they're just looking for the green check mark) but for the people who don't qualify, trying to figure out how to qualify is important.

As for the other challenge GCA4QC6, it still appears that events are being counted. For example, for Feb 2023, I only "found" the boat required attribute with an event GC9QG0H but yet the checker is picking it up still somehow. I'm not sure what's going on but I can probably find other examples if you need. Please let me know.

Thank you again for your patience and most of all, your help with these checkers.
March 15, 2023 07:16PM
@vogelbird you can mark this one as resolved, see https://project-gc.com/forum/read?8,71374
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login