To be able to write in the forum you need to authenticate. Meanwhile it's read-only.

Re: State capitals challenge

[Awaiting feedback] State capitals challenge
February 14, 2017 11:33AM
would love to see a state capitals challenge checker. The cache number is GC3QM3Z
Thank you,
J&J Team Yukon

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/14/2017 11:40AM by J&J Team Yukon. (view changes)
February 14, 2017 12:54PM
I'm not certain if all the polygon data is available in OSM . I will have to investigate this but if available it will take some time to build a poly checker. For ths reason the topic will be marked at "Work in progress"
February 14, 2017 12:59PM
We saw a challenge in Texas, which instead of looking at State Capitol Cities, it allowed the County that the State Capitol was in. Not as precise for cache location, but we thought it was a good approach to Capitol concept, without having to determine polygon for a city which is being discouraged.
February 21, 2017 06:44PM
Hi, MaxB. This is my challenge. Geocachers should be using geocaches found in the actual capital city, not just the capital county. Thank you for discussing it. I'd love to see a checker for it.
February 21, 2017 07:17PM
We were thinking of the following cache south of Abilene that we did, it only requires the capital county.

State Capital County Challenge

https://coord.info/GC3W7WW
February 21, 2017 08:49PM
TerraViators , I started tonight on preparing the json file which is the basis for the checker
February 21, 2017 09:44PM
Thank you.
February 28, 2017 11:03AM
The polygon checker is made. The info on polygons for some capitals was of a very poor quality so it is possible I missed little area's or on some cases added some area's. On the town (Indianapolis) I did not find the boundaries and because it is that big I could only use the county boundaries.

The other problem is that the checker can not be set to 2 finds in Washington D.C. so this will create a false negative

Here is the link to the checker http://project-gc.com/Challenges/GC3QM3Z/25066
February 28, 2017 12:57PM
No confusion. Just thought a checker would make it easier
to see if you qualified or not.
February 28, 2017 01:06PM
I like to hear what the owner's comments are because I am getting some vibes here that after spending a lot of time on it the result is not good enough
March 01, 2017 10:32AM
sloth96 was so kind to adapt the poly script for the extra twist on Washington D.C.

So here is the new checker http://project-gc.com/Challenges/GC3QM3Z/25151
February 16, 2017 04:36PM
this sounds interesting. I am assuming that you are not requiring that the name of the State Capital be in the cache name. Could you clarify what is required?
February 16, 2017 04:41PM
It is a old challenge already published, please read the cache page
February 17, 2017 02:52AM
No, just finding a Geocache in the capital city of the states. At least that's how I read the requirements.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/17/2017 01:36PM by J&J Team Yukon. (view changes)
February 28, 2017 11:57AM
The cache page seems pretty clear:
Find a geocache in 15 US state capitals.
TWIST: A found geocache in Washington D.C. may be substituted for 2 of the 15 required capitals.

Where is the confusion.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login