To be able to write in the forum you need to authenticate. Meanwhile it's read-only.

Most impressive challenge idea?

Most impressive challenge idea?
December 25, 2017 03:41PM
I write this post in this section since I want to target the script developers, and maybe the taggers. The question itself is of personal interest. It doesn't have anything to do with either Geocaching HQ or Project-GC.

Since the moratorium, has there been any checker requests for challenges that has really felt innovative and new in your opinions? Maybe something that you felt that you would like to copy yourself.

As an example, in my opinion, the 360-challenge concept was a bit new. Though that was long before the moratorium was lifted.

As a side note, I am very impressed by the polygon checker scripts. But for this question I am more looking for interesting challenges than technical solutions.
Re: Most impressive challenge idea?
December 26, 2017 05:09PM
I'll have a think about it but nothing particularly springs to mind, partly because most things had already been done before the moratorium and partly because the new rules place so many limits on what is allowed.

My favourite challenge has probably been the 13 steps challenge as it had an interesting set of different criteria to be completed on different days - which made the game much more interesting as it created targets of what caches needed to be got on a caching day out - requiring preparation looking for and finding suitable caches and then a target of what needed to be done on the day. Unfortunately it counts as time limited so is no longer permitted as well as having other elements that are also banned.

The ban on custom areas have also scuppered many interesting and motivating challenges - such as the 360 challenge and the Explorer (Uk version of the Delorme) challenges which encourage caching in different places.

I'll keep thinking if any other good new ones do spring to mind.
January 22, 2018 03:58AM
100 physical caches hidden by cachers that started caching on or before 12/31/2009

I wrote a script for and published a challenge to find 100 caches found by First Decade Hiders. To qualify, you have to find 100 caches published by cache owners that started caching before 12/31/2009. The script is generic so you can use any date range for when the hiders joined the game.

Its a fun challenge and people often add comments and memories about the "old timers"

Checker: http://project-gc.com/Challenges/GC6GAMW/20369
Cache: https://www.geocaching.com/geocache/GC6GAMW_100-challenge-100-finds-of-first-decade-hiders
Thread: https://project-gc.com/forum/read?4,344
January 22, 2018 05:56AM
Is this kind of challenge allowed under the new guidelines because in the "Source of Criteria" it can be read as "Not acceptable".
These cache page elements: cache titles, cache owner, GC Codes, publishing Reviewer, or cache page text.
January 22, 2018 06:11AM
I think the "cache owner" as you list above would refer to me as the owner of the challenge cache. The intent with that rule is so that the owner can't change things so the searcher can/can't qualify. Since all of the finds have to be far in the past and archived caches are allowed, I think there is no way for the "cache owner" (of the challenge cache) to affect who can qualify.

In any case, this challenge was published after the moratorium was lifted.
January 22, 2018 10:37AM
That the cache is published after the moratorium is no reason to say that the criteria is acceptable

In Spain there is a serie published after the moratorium where the criteria is reviewer names but still not acceptable to Groundspeak and most reviewers. Cache owner and publishing reviewer are in the same "Not acceptable"

Challenges based on GCcode such as the "periodictable" are also not allowed at the moment

I hope your argument is accepted but I am very doubtful
January 23, 2018 03:18AM
Maybe I just got lucky, but i think it's within the spirit and specification of the new rules. I would add a stipulation that the hider of your finds can not be yourself... but who finds their own hides (exception of course of adopted caches)

Would love to hear if someone tries to publish with this criteria.
Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.