To be able to write in the forum you need to authenticate. Meanwhile it's read-only.

Variables that can be used in Checkers

Variables that can be used in Checkers
June 29, 2016 09:27AM
I have been having some issues trying to get a challenge idea off the ground.

It has been pointed out to me that you cannot use home coordinates for Project GC checkers. Fine.

However, is it possible to use a cacher's nearest cache as a reference cache?

I am trying to make a challenge that requires caches in 5km intervals from a certain point.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.
Re: Variables that can be used in Checkers
June 29, 2016 03:00PM
The checker API is documented here: http://project-gc.com/doxygen/lua-sandbox/classPGC__LUA__Sandbox.html
Most checkers only uses GetFinds that show a list of your finds

gccode, cache_id, cache_name, type, difficulty, terrain, size, owner_id, placed_by, latitude, longitude, elevation, hidden, last_publish_date, country, region, county, archived, disabled, premium, attributes_set, attributes_unset, last_find_date, last_archive_date, num_finds, latest_logs, favorite_points, favorite_points_pct, favorite_points_wilson, last_cache_harvest, last_log_harvest, log_id, visitdate, length, words, ftf, cache_description

If you look at the you will notice that some like ftf cant be used on new challenges

A checker can be created where you need finds in specific distances from a specified point. The point has to be specified in the challenge and be the same for all users.

There is not API function to get the nearest cache from a uses home coordinates. The home coordinates cant be used in any way that can show them to other users on the website accrediting too the gc.com API agreement

And it is against the guideline to use them
Guidline 6. Verification

Challenge owners will need to make sure that cachers can show that they have completed the cache requirements without compromising their privacy.
June 29, 2016 08:27PM
I'm getting in the habit of thanking you, Target. Thank you, once again, for your help.

So - is it possible I could have an origin point as "the centre of Australia"? Is Project GC capable of that? If so, what are the co-ordinates that PGC would use for that?

I need an origin point. To be honest, I don't really need it to be someone's home or a cache near their home. Indeed it doesn't matter if everyone shares the same origin point either.

Thanking you once again.
June 29, 2016 11:39PM
"The centre of Australia" would also not be acceptable as it is quite vague. You would need to specify the coordinates yourself. In this case, I would suggest either picking a landmark (e.g., Uluru or Alice Springs) or choosing a specific centre ( http://www.ga.gov.au/scientific-topics/national-location-information/dimensions/centre-of-australia-states-territories#heading-2 gives five different centres, depending on which method you use)
June 30, 2016 01:04AM
Thanks for your reply, sumbloke.

So with that in mind, I am able to specify the coordinates - and this is not a problem for Project GC checkers?

The earth cache on Uluru is at S25° 20.693 E131° 01.949. I am guessing I could use this for the centre point of my 5km intervals?

Many thanks again for your reply and time.
June 30, 2016 08:59AM
No cache is need in that location choos any coordinates you like and put the coordinates in the description.

But you have choose a location that have multiple caches in each circle. A retriever will likely demand that.
And consider the fact that you have to meet the requirements.
in GSAK it is trivial to set a center location and it will autocalc the dist to each cache in the database. Bur be care full if you do it if it is near a distance limit when I am not sure which metod GSAK uses for distances
June 30, 2016 10:38AM
I wrote a checker for that. It will get a better output
Try http://project-gc.com/Challenges//21737 on me for a example
Create you config in the format as below with center in decimal degrees
the distance are
[min,max,nr]
dist>=min and dist <max
The distance is in km
You can have holes between distances and they can alos overlap. But a cache will be uses in all matching distances

{"lat":58.41725,"long":15.5953,
"dists":[
[0,10,100],
[10,20,50],
[20,30,20],
[30,40,10],
[40,50,5]
]}

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/30/2016 11:50AM by Target.. (view changes)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login