To be able to write in the forum you need to authenticate. Meanwhile it's read-only.

Re: Resus challenges

Resus challenges
November 10, 2018 10:24AM
This is just to help me answer a Q for someone else
Challenges involving finding resus caches ( caches found where the previous found log was some time earlier - generally a year) are no longer acceptable.
However I need to point to the guidelines on GC to help identify why
I can not find anything in the "What makes an acceptable challenge cache?" list that refers to resus caches/challenges specifically - so is the only thing that makes us understand this exception is section 2 of the "Required for all challenge caches:" guidelines which says 'Challenge cache pages must include a link to a web-based challenge checker' and because PGC cant do a checker it is therefore not allowed ?

thanks
Tim
November 10, 2018 01:03PM
You are probably referring to GC7YWYX - Challenge Cache - 1000 is a lonely number.

This cache was archived with a short statement from the local reviewer saying
"Unfortunately this was published in contravention of the new guidelines concerning challenge caches. This cache listing does not have a challenge checker, which is required of all new challenge caches."

The challenge should have been based on Challenge cache criteria which must come from information broadly available on Geocaching.com such as on the statistics page, cache placement dates, types, attributes, souvenirs, etc.

The above lonely cache criteria are not verifiable through any statistic information.
There is however an alternative for lonely caches which is used at PGC.which is statistic info on caches

The checker for this is based on
Loneliness is defines as age/(number of finds)
The age is the number of days between hidden date and today's date if it is an active cache.
For an archived cache it is days between hidden and archived.
Your finds on archived caches after the achiving date are not included.
November 10, 2018 01:26PM
I am NOT referring to any caches - If I had wanted to refer to a specific cache I would have made reference to it !

I have been involved in a discussion with local cachers to me who were talking about setting resus caches, such as 1 a day for 7 days, or 5 in a day and the like
I am under the impression that resus caches are no longer allowed and was asking for clarification as to why, and which of the criteria set out on the GC guideline page can be used to clarify this

Tim
November 10, 2018 01:58PM
I think this should answer you question as well
A challenge should be based on criteria which must come from information broadly available on Geocaching.com such as on the statistics page, cache placement dates, types, attributes, souvenirs, etc.

The resus cache criteria are not verifiable through any statistic information.

You could use an alternative used at PGC.which is statistic info on caches
November 10, 2018 02:40PM
Thanks
Tim
November 10, 2018 05:51PM
Deepdiggingmole Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Challenges involving finding resus caches ( caches
> found where the previous found log was some time
> earlier - generally a year) are no longer
> acceptable.
> However I need to point to the guidelines on GC to
> help identify why
> I can not find anything in the "What makes an
> acceptable challenge cache?" list that refers to
> resus caches/challenges specifically - so is the

One reason is that we can not offer a checker for this kind of challenge.

I have already tried a "last to find" challenge which have quite similar properties. It was cancelled because it could be interpreted as a competition.
November 11, 2018 10:24PM
Another reason is that such a challenge introduces a competition to be the first to find a cache after the threshold time passes. This is disallowed by guideline 14:
Not acceptable
Competition rather than achievement; example, a challenge based on "First to Finds" is a competition.

My interpretation of guideline 14 is that qualification for a challenge should not be impacted by any finds other than those actually required for the challenge, either other finds by the cacher trying to qualify or finds by others.
November 16, 2018 02:44PM
Thanks all
Tim
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login