To be able to write in the forum you need to authenticate. Meanwhile it's read-only.

Checker not showing info on geocaching.com

Checker not showing info on geocaching.com
November 25, 2020 04:50PM
I remember checkers used to show a green tick if the challenge was satisfied, a red circle (forbidden sign) if it wasn't and a smile if the cache was already found. Now I see that it doesn't show that anymore: is it a change that has been made, or there's a problem with my profile? I am premium both on PGC and Geocaching.com
Re: Checker not showing info on geocaching.com
January 21, 2021 11:33PM
I have noticed the same think. I thought I had a plug-in screwed up in Chrome.
January 22, 2021 10:28AM
Det ser knasigt ut. Jag ska undersöka det. Det ska fungera.

EDIT: Ok, so I write a lot every day, and a big part of that is in English. Why I suddenly wrote something in Swedish is just weird. The task before this one included 100% English as well, so it wasn't a language switching problem. Just some form of meltdown in my brain.

Anyway. I said it looks weird and that I will look into it, it should work.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/22/2021 10:37AM by magma1447. (view changes)
January 22, 2021 10:51AM
Now I have looked into it, at least a bit, and I have some guesses.

This is a client side caching issue. The origin fault is however the server side. I found a minor bug when creating an "etag" for these images. So in some cases when not being logged in with Project-GC the client would cache these images in a faulty way.

The other day when we had a lot of issues I know I got logged out from Project-GC myself, and my guess is that caused the issue for me (yes, I had the issue as well). Can you confirm that you guys have also had to authenticate this week?

I will create a server side fix today that should stop this from happening again. But I will not fix the current client issue (though I technically could).

All clients should fix themselves within 7*24 hours from now (or when I make the release in a few minutes). It's more likely that they will fix themselves before Thursday next week. By clearing all cached items for Project-GC in the web browser it will also be fixed, no need to delete cookies, just cached data.

If you still see this issue 7 days from now, please poke me.
January 26, 2021 03:39AM
So, I see the checker result on the log page, but nothing indicating whether or not I qualify. In my head, I think I used to see a pass/fail indicator in the challenge checker box under the log geocache window. Hoepfully that makes sense. I am using https://coord.info/GC8FHM5 and I do qualify for this one.
January 26, 2021 08:54AM
This should now be resolved. Besides the minor bug I found last time I also learned that web browsers had changed their default in cookie handling.

Formerly an image loaded at a third party domain could use cookies at the origin site (samesite=None). The new default for the cookie option samesite is Lax which doesn't allow that. We have been forced to set the value samesite=None for our cookies to resolve that.

I believe everyone will have to re-authenticate for it to work, but I also believe that people will get forced logged out, so it will happen by itself.

The patch also caused some disturbances for a few minutes with the authentication while an incomplete patch was published. We didn't have a good method of testing it with dev-servers since Geocaching dot com doesn't link those.
January 26, 2021 02:43PM
Wroks perfect. Thanks!!
January 26, 2021 03:19PM
Great! it works now!! Thank you!
January 26, 2021 06:52PM
But we broke Safari 12.x sadly.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login